Josh997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Neck Tension when lifting

I dont know if I'm tensing the back of my neck or shoulders.. But when I do certain exercises like barbel curls or military press.. Or cable chest flys ect I sometimes get a tension like feeling in the back of my neck. Im not sure if its because I'm stiffening my neck or something is off with my posture?

This started when I was doing heavy military presses about 3 years ago.. But why would it happen doing bicep curls?

foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most people unknowingly contract muscles when they're stressed. The neck and shoulders are a very common area for it. Perhaps you picked up this or another bad habit while doing these lifts.

I've had clients who were totally oblivious to moving the wrong body parts on some lifts. Suggest asking someone in the gym to watch you. (S)he may be see the problem right away.

Josh997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by foresail View Post
    Most people unknowingly contract muscles when they're stressed. The neck and shoulders are a very common area for it. Perhaps you picked up this or another bad habit while doing these lifts.

I've had clients who were totally oblivious to moving the wrong body parts on some lifts. Suggest asking someone in the gym to watch you. (S)he may be see the problem right away.
    I am very stressed that makes sense! Medications aren't working.. I have to get back on the muscle progression relaxation and yoga/meditation.. I heard acupuncture could relieve tense muscles. Ive tried to really assess my form and it seems fine but I guess I'm just too tense.