5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

opinion on Pyramid/Reverse Pyramid for BP

was looking into incorporating this for my BP. currently doing an U/L routine that has 3x5 for compounds

yay/nay? any experiences; pros/cons?

Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 5penn View Post
    was looking into incorporating this for my BP. currently doing an U/L routine that has 3x5 for compounds

Progressive overload over time is what matters, but I prefer to lift the heaviest weight (after a proper warm-up of course) while I'm the freshest, so I prefer reverse pyramid.

5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Progressive overload over time is what matters, but I prefer to lift the heaviest weight (after a proper warm-up of course) while I'm the freshest, so I prefer reverse pyramid.
    thanks Payton. i much prefer the idea of reverse as well

OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In the unusual/occasional event that I'm not "training" for some reason rather, going to gym to exercise, and just chuck some volume into a muscle (not that they look like that's ever happened) I'd reverse for the same reason Payton suggests.

Odd how fashions come and go, 25 years ago it seems people, or at least ones I knew, were only interested in workout routines, like a list of exercises to do. And the weight and reps was just like... as much as you could do and get pumped. In those days (where all that 5*5 overload was long forgotten) there were only 2 methods discussed... pyramid and reverse pyramid. That was THE question you'd ask... "So, do you use pyramid or reverse pyramid?"

I hardly hear the word "pyramid" any more. Maybe as things go in cycles... perhaps later this year reverse pyramid will become the "new" discovery of the fitness world Reverse especially seems a good way to throw max volume at muscles, also note extreme variations like "run the rack" and the equivalent BP barbell version where you rack the bar with loads of little plates, amrap, and the spotter strips off a plate each time you fail, and you go again. If for some reason quantity over quality is your approach, it's the way to do it.

However please give some thought to progressive overload instead.
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 04-16-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Seplling corectio
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    BW on 18/09/2018 - 72.5 Kg , Target BW - 70 Kg / 154# (5.5kg down, 2.5 more to go, slowly does it).

supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 5penn View Post

I've been using the Reverse Pyramid set/rep scheme for around 8 or 9 months now and I think it's the cats' meow. There are many different takes on it, though. Some insist on taking the main set to failure and some say never get close to failure. Some have 2 warm up sets and some have 4 or more. Ditto for follow up sets.
    It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Become brilliant at the basics. Everything else will work itself out.

It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    However please give some thought to progressive overload instead.
    Huh? Reverse Pyramid lifting is a progressive overload set/rep scheme.
    It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

thanks to all for the input
    Last edited by 5penn; 04-16-2018 at 07:27 AM.

zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000) zGwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I like reverse much more than sets across. I find that I push my sets further knowing that the subsequent sets will be lighter.

It is also nice because you can hit a wider range of intensities in one session.

OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Huh? Reverse Pyramid lifting is a progressive overload set/rep scheme.
    Reverse pyramid essential means do heavy stuff first, then progress to lighter weights at higher reps after. It doesn't tell you you what scheme is used to drive progression, however it's normally associated with a max out on volume approach to the point of almost becoming synonymous with that. Whereas progressive overload is generally associated with a weight manipulation approach (although to be fair it's can be used to describe increasing volume )
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    BW on 18/09/2018 - 72.5 Kg , Target BW - 70 Kg / 154# (5.5kg down, 2.5 more to go, slowly does it).

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Reverse pyramid essential means do heavy stuff first, then progress to lighter weights at higher reps after. It doesn't tell you you what scheme is used to drive progression, however it's normally associated with a max out on volume approach to the point of almost becoming synonymous with that. Whereas progressive overload is generally associated with a weight manipulation approach (although to be fair it's can be used to describe increasing volume )
    Reverse Pyramid is a set/rep scheme and I have never read a Reverse Pyramid site (and I've read many dozens) that didn't employ progressive overload. Progressive overload isn't limited to a single workout.

Just thinking about this and taking the 'overload' of 'progressive overload' to specifically mean 'weight' (which it doesn't), there's probably even more ways to progressively overload an RPT workout than any other kind of weightlifting workout.