MasonTeggen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Nutrition vs Calories

What’s more important in bodybuilding.... nutrition or calories?

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fuel or gasoline?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mikeez0 View Post
    Fuel or gasoline?
    Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    They are related. Perhaps frame your question a bit better if you want sensible responses OP.

rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think op means which is more important, origin of calories or number of calories. For example, if trying to gain muscle, would it be better to get 3000 calories from unhealthy foods vs 2000 calories from healthy foods. I think it is a difficult question to answer and I guess it depends on your goals. If you just want to gain weight then get your calories however you can but if you care about overall health then stick to healthy calories.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I think op means which is more important, origin of calories or number of calories. For example, if trying to gain muscle, would it be better to get 3000 calories from unhealthy foods vs 2000 calories from healthy foods. I think it is a difficult question to answer and I guess it depends on your goals. If you just want to gain weight then get your calories however you can but if you care about overall health then stick to healthy calories.
    Calories aren't inherently healthy or unhealthy.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Calories are a unit of energy. Both nutrient rich and nutrient poor foods have both high and low calorie densities.

"healthy" is a word that should only be applied to a person, not a diet and certainly not an individual food.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If one wants to look like a body builder it’s going to require some dietary restraint to achieve and maintain lower bodyfat levels. In that case, choosing nutrient dense food such as meats, veg, fruit, etc is going to help to hit micros at the necessary caloric levels which are important for both overall health and performance by preventing micro nutrient deficiencies. Ie not many bodybuilders are going to be living off of hot dogs, and Dairy Queen blizzards.

If you want to just “get big and strong” you will be eating a lot more. Calorie surplus is a major component in strength gains. To some extent the more food you eat, the less likely that you will need to worry about missing micro nutrients provided you are eating a varied diet. There is more room for Low nutrient calories, and in some cases those foods might be what is required for some to hit their surplus.

Overall it comes down to individual goals and the person. Macro & Micro nutrients as well as total calories are important to performance and therefore results.

rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rufretic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Calories aren't inherently healthy or unhealthy.
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Calories are a unit of energy. Both nutrient rich and nutrient poor foods have both high and low calorie densities.

"healthy" is a word that should only be applied to a person, not a diet and certainly not an individual food.
    Ok so I worded it wrong but just switch unhealthy to fast food and healthy to chicken and green beans for my example. I honestly don't know the answer to his question but was trying to give a little bit of clarity to the question so we could get an answer because I'm interested to learn as well.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    If one wants to look like a body builder it’s going to require some dietary restraint to achieve and maintain lower bodyfat levels. In that case, choosing nutrient dense food such as meats, veg, fruit, etc is going to help to hit micros at the necessary caloric levels which are important for both overall health and performance by preventing micro nutrient deficiencies. Ie not many bodybuilders are going to be living off of hot dogs, and Dairy Queen blizzards.

If you want to just “get big and strong” you will be eating a lot more. Calorie surplus is a major component in strength gains. To some extent the more food you eat, the less likely that you will need to worry about missing micro nutrients provided you are eating a varied diet. There is more room for Low nutrient calories, and in some cases those foods might be what is required for some to hit their surplus.

Overall it comes down to individual goals and the person. Macro & Micro nutrients as well as total calories are important to performance and therefore results.
    Thank you, this is a helpful response.

Ok so I worded it wrong but just switch unhealthy to fast food and healthy to chicken and green beans for my example. I honestly don't know the answer to his question but was trying to give a little bit of clarity to the question so we could get an answer because I'm interested to learn as well.
    It's understandable since unless you make a special effort to study nutrition, the information we get from the general media is very misleading.

For example, even fast food is not necessarily a no-go in a diet that has healthy outcomes for a typical lifter.

This article may help:

https://completehumanperformance.com.../clean-eating/

squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In all the years I’ve been lifting/powerlifting I’ve always done better when my calories were coming from foods with high quality nutrition.

I’ve been on dirty bulks where all I ate was pizza, burgers, McDonald’s etc. I weighed 350lbs at one point.

But when I’m getting a perfect balance of protein-fats-carbs and all my micronutrients my performance improves. This may sound obvious but sometimes people go too far with the whole IIFYM thing. There’s definitely room for what people would consider “cheat” foods in any diet but that should only be after your macros and micros are in order.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by squatsbrahhh View Post
    In all the years I’ve been lifting/powerlifting I’ve always done better when my calories were coming from foods with high quality nutrition.

I’ve been on dirty bulks where all I ate was pizza, burgers, McDonald’s etc. I weighed 350lbs at one point.

But when I’m getting a perfect balance of protein-fats-carbs and all my micronutrients my performance improves. This may sound obvious but sometimes people go too far with the whole IIFYM thing. There’s definitely room for what people would consider “cheat” foods in any diet but that should only be after your macros and micros are in order.
    The fast food didn't make you fat. Chronic over-consumption of calories did.
    Last edited by rhadam; 04-14-2018 at 06:03 AM.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatsbrahhh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    I'm glad what you did works for you, however what you just said is not founded in actual dietary science/physio.
    Interesting, so is it more about meeting your calories and macros, micros don’t matter for your bodybuilding goals?

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Interesting, so is it more about meeting your calories and macros, micros don’t matter for your bodybuilding goals?
    For bodybuilding no, never.
    Nah, he just ate some micro nutrients, nothing else.
    Kali muscle still claims to be natty?

He didn't say that

What's more likely is that the two food types you are comparing, one has a higher calorie density, lower overall protein and fiber. All these things affect satiety - and therefore how much you would consume on an ad libitum diet.

So it comes back to total calories - and possibly protein too (although the latter wouldn't be the case if it was lots of cheeseburgers we're talking about).

As for micros, it's conceivable that both had sufficient for general health because fast food is not as devoid of micros as the popular opinion would have you believe.

ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MasonTeggen View Post
    What’s more important in bodybuilding.... nutrition or calories?
    1. Calories: Determines your rate of weight gain/loss.
    2. Macros & fiber: Coupled with a good exercise program, determines WHAT you gain/lose -- muscles and/or fat.
    3. Micros & water: So, that you don't end up with any nutrient deficiencies, which is bad in the long term.
    4. Nutrient timing: Get that small extra edge in muscle growth and performance.
    5. Supplements: Supplement the nutrients that you can't get from a normal diet.

That's the order of importance, from what will have the most impact on body composition and health, to what will have the least impact, i.e. if you're worrying about what pre-workout shake and supplements to take to build your body, while the rest of your diet (calories & macros) is s**t... you're just going about it the wrong way.

They are ALL are important, though. You can't just give one up because "it's not that important."
    Last edited by ankmiike; 04-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ankmiike View Post
    1. Calories: Determines your rate for weight gain/loss.
    2. Macros & fiber: Coupled with a good exercise program, determines WHAT you gain/lose -- muscles and/or fat.
    3. Micros & water: So, that you don't end up with any nutrient deficiencies, which is bad in the long term.
    4. Nutrient timing: Get that small extra edge of muscle growth and performance.
    5. Supplements: Supplement the nutrients that you can't get from a normal diet.

That's the order of importance, from what will have the most impact on body composition and health, to what will have the least impact, i.e. if you're worrying about what pre-workout shake and supplements to take to build your body, while the rest of your diet (calories & macros) is s**t... you're just going about it the wrong way.

They are ALL are important, though. You can't just give one up because "it's not that important."
    Well said, probably the best summary I've seen. Repped!

allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    #triggered

3000 calories vs 2000 calories? LOl wut?
    Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Stu Phillips, Lyle McDonald. FTW.

Not a physique competitor but hope to compete in powerlifting next year. Max bench 1RM with pause 160kg. 352lbs.

Lift and learn.

allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Have a look at this
    https://www.today.com/health/man-los...ths-2D79329158

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/ma...-100-days.html
    Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Stu Phillips, Lyle McDonald. FTW.

Not a physique competitor but hope to compete in powerlifting next year. Max bench 1RM with pause 160kg. 352lbs.

Lift and learn.