Bshawy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squatting nearly as much as I Dead-lift?

So lately I've been on a purely strength orientated program, combined with bulking (gone from 84-87kg). Long story short my squat has gone up to about a 150kg 1rm (30kg increase) and my conventional DL has gone up maybe 20kg to a 160kg 1rm. But my main DL the sumo has decreased, I used to have a 170kg sumo before i started this program 3 months ago and now i struggle to break 160kg off the floor. I have been training predominantly conventional to strengthen my lower back as its a major weak point. But to not even break off the floor what I almost squat seems ridiculous.

And yes my squat is deep. Hip crease below knee, even had some PT's and coaches I'm friends with say I don't need to get even as low as i am. Mainly aiming for regulation depth so i can maximise weight but i feel more comfortable lower as i know for a fact Im hitting depth. (recording my squat and DL today so will get that video up hopefully)

Should I just do deficits? in addition to my regular DL'ing 2x week, I'm now doing light sumo work most days to re-ingrain the form and movement pattern, nothing strenuous. Any and all advice welcome, a little confused how this has happened.

Stats over 2.5month period
    BW from 84-87kg
    SQ from ~120-150kg
    Conv DL 140-160kg
    Sumo DL 170-160kg
    *all other lifts(bench, row, OHP) have gone up*

joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10) joiemoie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your sumo dropping that much while overall progress increases is probably either:

1) You are overtraining your adductors in a wide stance squat.
    2) You changed your sumo technique (maybe you took advantage of a rounded back sumo prior).

Overall, having a squat similar to deadlift is not unheard of and actually more common the stronger you get. Look at greg nuckols article on why people squat less than they deadlift. Theoretically, people should deadlift the same or even less than they squat, but because of having less prior motor patterns for squatting compared to lifting from the ground, people have weaker squats.
    Currently on lvysaur 448.

Weight: 160
    Height: 5'9

Bench: 165 x 4
    Deadlift: 275 x 4
    Squat: 235 x 4
    Overhead Press: 115x4

wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't think it's all that strange, I have always been able to squat at least 10-20kg more than I can deadlift
    Dreamer bulk progress: 75.1kg/165lbs 21st Jan 2018 > 94.7kg/208.8lbs 14th September 2018

wildturkey's going to do a powerlifting comp in a misc shirt thread - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175560231

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You stopped training sumo and your sumo went down? I don't think anyone here is qualified enough to solve this one.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicktraps will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you are doing ok with conventional then maybe you don't need the sumo. i need the sumo though, conventional kills my lower back