ANooshali is on a distinguished road. (+10)

6 years of keto recipes later, this is by far the best bread substitute I have ever t

I’m an avid cook and over the years I have tried just about every low carb technique for making bread substitutes. This one is astoundingly good: Light and fluffy, can absorb egg yolk, tastes almost flavorless and not gritty so it can handle simply being buttered.

Be sure to drink lots of water as psyllium husk is pure fiber.

I modified the recipe below by not using a mixer and making balls instead of hot dog bun shapes.

1¼ cups almond flour

5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar

1¼ cups boiling water

3 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.

Moisten hands and form dough into 4 or 8 pieces of bread. You can also make hot dog or hamburger buns. Place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.

Serve with butter and toppings of your choice. Store the bread in the fridge or freezer.

Tip!

Sprinkle seeds on the bread before you pop it into the oven – poppy seeds, sesame seeds or why not some salt flakes and herbs?

If you make this recipe into 6 pieces of bread they each contain about 2 grams of carbs.

What do you do with the three leftover egg yolks? Béarnaise sauce, of course!
    Attached Images

Mia431997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Trying this recipe this weekend. Have been looking for a good keto bread hopefully this is it

ramilv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for this. Hopefully, local bread shops here would have keto breads.

Bran1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Trying this tonight. Been trying to make keto bread forever and it's always trash.