Triumph66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Coming back at 51

Hi, 1st post on here and looking for some advice.

I'm 51 and haven't trained for approx. 16yrs. I was in pretty good shape when I stopped training and have recently got the 'bug' back. I've done a bit of light stuff at home and am ready to hit the gym again but have some questions.

At 51 how should I be training and is it realistic to expect any gains.

Has anything changed in terms of supplementation? I was planning on using Whey protein, BCAA's & Creatine.
    There's a lot of conflicting info on the net about how much protein you should take...I'm sure I used to stick to the gram per lb of bodyweight rule, is this still valid today?

From what I've read some of the exercises I used to use don't seem to be recommended now such as upright rows, behind the neck military presses, flys etc. apparently due to stresses placed on joints. Surely if correct form is used these exercises are perfectly safe?

My current stats are: Male, 51, 5'8 & 193lbs. Any advice anyone can offer to help me get back into it would be great.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Triumph66 View Post

I'm 51 and haven't trained for approx. 16yrs. I was in pretty good shape when I stopped training and have recently got the 'bug' back. I've done a bit of light stuff at home and am ready to hit the gym again but have some questions.

Has anything changed in terms of supplementation? I was planning on using Whey protein, BCAA's & Creatine.
    There's a lot of conflicting info on the net about how much protein you should take...I'm sure I used to stick to the gram per lb of bodyweight rule, is this still valid today?

From what I've read some of the exercises I used to use don't seem to be recommended now such as upright rows, behind the neck military presses, flys etc. apparently due to stresses placed on joints. Surely if correct form is used these exercises are perfectly safe?

My current stats are: Male, 51, 5'8 & 193lbs. Any advice anyone can offer to help me get back into it would be great.
    Nothing has changed in regard to the basics. A good thread to review would be the start8ng over 35 thread and links in the stickied posts at the top of the page. Recovery might be a little slower with a few extra years on the clock but nothing drastic. What worked for you before will work again. Train hard and smart and eat to your goals.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Same stuff still works these days.
    Compound movements are the best bench press,squats,deadlift,power cleans,over head presses,rows,curls,dips,pull ups.
    Get a good program going and start slowly.
    You might even want to go with just bodyweight for a month with body weight stuff to ease into training again.
    Good luck!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Repeated so you don't miss it:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty much the same as a young guy with a bit more caution around injury prevention, total recovery and mobility work.

Most supplements are garbage, after all if they worked they'd be medicine and thus prescription only. The few that aren't are generally some form of concentrated food like protein powder, creatine, fish oil, etc. Consensus is that in most cases BCAAs are a waste of time if you're hitting your protein targets.

Almost everyone agrees at least 1.6g/kg, after that there is quite a bit of debate. I use 1.8g/kg (0.82g/lb) as my number as I found the evidence somewhat compelling as it being ever so slightly better than 1.6g/kg, and you could maybe make a weak case for going as high as 2.0g/kg but after that it gets pretty sketchy. 2.2g/kg (1g/lb) won't hurt you though so if it works for you, that's fine.

Really depends on the person, your conformation and mobility. Use with caution.

Read the diet and workout routine stickies, even if you read none of the rest, they're worth the time.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hi and Welcome!, start a journal, in it state your goals. Keep it updated, folks will chime in with encouragement, there are some smart folks here available for advice.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Like PP has said, not a LOT has changed...but it really depends on how much Bro-Science you used to believe. A lot of things that used to be accepted as fact "in the day" have gone the way of the dodo, some minor, and some more important. Unfortunately, it all depends on what you already "know", and it's really just going to take you some time to browse and learn about it as you go.

For example, a return to higher frequency is a big change in the last decade or so, with guys doing full body workouts 3 days a week, or splits where they hit muscle groups at least twice a week. High volume work is also not done by many except advanced lifters. A lot of this is the result of people understanding that there is a significant difference between the enhanced professionals and average Joe Schmo natural.

There are also new perspectives on old standards, such as the old "bodytype" thing (ecto, meso, endo), and training to failure (not recommended often, like it was in the day).

I came back 8 years ago after a 17 year break, had to forget a lot of things I thought I knew and learn some new ways of thinking. The guys on this forum are great at helping, so just ask questions when in doubt.

But yeah, if you got into good shape before, there is no reason the same stuff you did the first time around wont work...there just might be faster more optimal ways to get there. If you weren't in as good a shape as you WANTED the first time around, all the information you need to fix your mistakes is now available at your fingertips.

Welcome and good luck.
    Last edited by grubman; 04-13-2018 at 04:24 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Missed this earlier:

From what I've read some of the exercises I used to use don't seem to be recommended now such as upright rows, behind the neck military presses, flys etc. apparently due to stresses placed on joints.

Surely if correct form is used these exercises are perfectly safe?
    Maybe.

Upright Rows can be problematic if an individual's particular body mechanics cause an impingement in the shoulders from this exercise. If you can perform them with no apparent discomfort or odd clicking noises from your shoulder area, you should be okay. If not, or if you just aren't sure, just use another exercise for middle delts such as Lateral Raises.

I don't recommend any 'behind the neck' exercise; they put the rotator cuffs in a compromising position, and for no additional benefit over simply performing the 'in front-of-the neck' variant of the exercise in question. The 'risk-vs-benefit' ratio is skewed here; better to just stay away.

Flyes (using either dumbbells or cables) are generally safe, providing a good warmup is done (this exercise is usually placed after a chest compound such as Bench Press), the exercise is performed slowly and under control, and with a reasonable weight (maybe 10-rep-sets). Some guys will do them heavier, but again, controlling the weight at all times is paramount.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Always blows me away when somebody pops into the over 35 forum and asks if gains are possible. Why do you thjnk we are all here to exchange knitting pointers?

If you haven't done any training in 16 years; absolutely gainz are possible.

Good luck with your progress OP, just stick to the basics and profit.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Always blows me away when somebody pops into the over 35 forum and asks if gains are possible.
    Well, the medical world has (for some reason) done this wonderful job of making the world think that after 40 everything goes to hell and it's an inevitable downhill plunge to death.

It doesn't really help that pumping iron is a usually a young persons game, with all the information, advertisements, and products geared towards them.

Did you ever notice how scarce actual information on training as you get over 40 is? It's almost all a variation on the same, "you need to go lighter and do less", usually written by someone young.

I would like to see some real studies done on guys who actually lift at our collective age, and get some real information we can use...but I guess there is less money to be made off of guys who have learned a little common sense, patience, and accept reality.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Always blows me away when somebody pops into the over 35 forum and asks if gains are possible. Why do you thjnk we are all here to exchange knitting pointers?

If you haven't done any training in 16 years; absolutely gainz are possible.

Good luck with your progress OP, just stick to the basics and profit.
    ^^^ This.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

Triumph66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.
    Hit the gym today not really knowing what I would be capable of. The weights were down obviously, but I maintained good form, didn't embarrass myself and can't wait for the next workout.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    I would like to see some real studies done on guys who actually lift at our collective age, and get some real information we can use...but I guess there is less money to be made off of guys who have learned a little common sense, patience, and accept reality.
    We do tend to spend less on useless junk, which makes us less appealing to marketers.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Clinically-controlled studies are difficult and expensive to conduct, and any concerning ^^^ this topic likely would only be undertaken for pure science (and I feel like very few of those are ever done in this day of corporations doing only what they can exploit, dollar-wise); as you mention, there's no $$$ to be made.

And secondly, concerning mass/strength increase and/or fat loss, there's absolutely nothing new under the sun. Any possible study done on any age group (not just O35 or older), would only produce results that reinforce what we already know to be true.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 04-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is this book, called "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40": https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Presc.../dp/0982522770. It's written by a doctor. I haven't read it (yet), but watched some videos by the author, including a full lecture he gave at a university. The guy is for real, and the book has very positive reviews, so I would expect it to be excellent.

BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck dude!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

My fav articles (HEB):
    http://bit.ly/2HlpWE1
    http://bit.ly/2qiMdbO

Originally Posted by RK42 View Post
    There is this book, called "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40": https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Presc.../dp/0982522770. It's written by a doctor. I haven't read it (yet), but watched some videos by the author, including a full lecture he gave at a university. The guy is for real, and the book has very positive reviews, so I would expect it to be excellent.
    That looks like it has potential. I only worry it’s geared towards the untrained (like most “over age X” books/articles). I’d like to see more material targeting guys who have been lifting for a while.

But you should post a review/book report on the forum...or maybe I should.

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes you should expect gains. Unless you have some serious testosterone deficiency, gains can still be had at 51. I'm 51 and continue to get stronger and they not newbie gains either.

Whey protein, BCAAs and Creatine is all I take. Its always going to be debated about exactly how much protein to take, I still subscribe to the 1g per 1lbs of lean body mass.

I believe any movement with correct form, load, and volume can be perfectly safe, the better question is how do you benefit from that exercise? If you say to stretch connecting ligaments or to increase mobility, then fine. Just don't use those exercise to exert the muscle. I'd consider the three you mention as accessories and should not be attempted with heavy weight or high reps. If you still want to incorporate those lifts into your program do so lightly after your primary compound lifts (heavy lifts).

Well, the medical world has (for some reason) done this wonderful job of making the world think that after 40 everything goes to hell and it's an inevitable downhill plunge to death.

It doesn't really help that pumping iron is a usually a young persons game, with all the information, advertisements, and products geared towards them.

Did you ever notice how scarce actual information on training as you get over 40 is? It's almost all a variation on the same, "you need to go lighter and do less", usually written by someone young.

The problem is so many people actually believe they will fall apart at 40 they stop trying. Maybe it's a defensive mechanism for people to be lazy. Guys like us are the real study the proof but some people do not want to see cause they really do not have the motivation to change. You know how many times I've heard guys my age say, I don't need to work out I'm happily married. As if looking fit only applies to someone look to score. Or... I don't need to work out I don't have anything to prove.
    Elite Powerlifter Masters Divison 50-54
    USPA PR @123lb (pounds): SQ 303.1 - BP 248 - DL 391.3 Wilks 394.37
    USPA PR @132lb (pounds): SQ 341.7 - BP 248 - DL 430
    16 State / 15 American / 10 World Records / 2 ATWR / 3x Best Lifter Award
    IG: fit.wraith