alexciocana1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Which is a better workout for football : wrestling or boxing ?

I injured my knee last summer and I have been recovering ever since. Now, although I can play sports again, I realized that I have gained a lot of fat and lost all my athleticism. I looked up online too for workouts that would help me get faster, stronger and more conditioned and I tried some of them... like home boxing, wrestling, mma training type stuff. Now I really wanna get in a fighting sport to advance my game for the next season. Which would be considered better for football: wrestling or boxing ? Wrestling could make my knee injury worse and boxing could make a new one ....

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Getting your knee healthy is your objective.

alexciocana1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Getting your knee healthy is your objective.
    My knee is completely healthy ... I’m just looking for something to get all my strength back with minimal injury potential. Of course, I am also doing weight training in particular but there is a big risk of injury in that too.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    football, American or European (soccer)? If you're training for American Football then WS4SBv3 with the speed template would be good. Lifting, skill work, speed work and then GPP work (i.e sleds and medicine balls). You could also look at Track and Field throws training which is mainly Olympic lifts and other explosive training. If you're on offensive line, or defense then I would look into boxing if you're interested in a combat sport. Sparing (with head gear and heavier gloves) is good for football. A modified routine for punch mitts (where you attack with the heel of your hand and not a fist) can be great for working on football legal hand combat.

surprisefart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by alexciocana1 View Post
    My knee is completely healthy ... I’m just looking for something to get all my strength back with minimal injury potential. Of course, I am also doing weight training in particular but there is a big risk of injury in that too.
    Depending on what your injury was, you need to specifically exercise the muscles near the knee cap (especially the quads). Since you didn't specify your injury, here's a post -- which features preventative exercises for MCL, ACL, and Chondromalacia. Chondromalacia (a.k.a runner's knee) is most likely NOT what you experienced, since it's a wear and tear injury, but if you engage in sports with a lot of running and jumping, it's smart to take actions to prevent it from happpening to you in the future. Hope this helps.

It turns out I'm not allowed to post links. If you want to find the post I was talking about, google "positivemed sport injury prevention". HSS is another resource of great information related to injuries.

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I've had plenty of experience in all 3

football: will get you in good game shape, build the most muscle, and have the greatest fast twitch development
    wrestling: siimlar to boxing, more "mental" in my opinion. Probably the least efficient at building muscle out of the 3
    boxing: Done correctly, you will be shredded. I was in the best shape of my life as a boxer.

These are just things I've personally noticed. They all work your ass off in different ways, and if you work hard you can't go wrong with either. One thing to note, I aboslutely despised wrestling, I was miserable but I know guys who lived for the mat. I liked football the most just bc it was the most fun sport, however boxing training was fun in a different way. You got to be the master of your fate, it's you against yourself.

The difference in results coming from each will ultimately fall onto you. So pick the one you would enjoy the most, you'll work the hardest for that sport and thus see the best results.

NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NorthernLad93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Unless you're going to be an Ice Hockey Enforcer what exactly is the point risking damage training in a combat sport when you already play a team sport?
    Starting weight 130lbs
    Current stats: 6"2, 210lbs.

The 8th and final rule: If this is your first night at Gym Club....... you have to squat.

TSwizle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    too me it depends.
    If your a corner, D-Lineman, o-lineman or Wide reciever. Boxing is the move. Get that fast hand speed to jam corners at the the line. Have faster hands hold D-Lineman back. Have faster hands and know down O-Line hands and get around them. Wide reciever better hands and knocks jamming wideouts off.

For Running backs/Linebackers/Safteys. I think wrestling at those postions. It is just hitting and no hand to hand combat (unless blocking at running back)

Registered User LucrativeFitnes's Avatar
    LucrativeFitnes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I injured my knee last summer and I have been recovering ever since. Now, although I can play sports again, I realized that I have gained a lot of fat and lost all my athleticism. I looked up online too for workouts that would help me get faster, stronger and more conditioned and I tried some of them... like home boxing, wrestling, mma training type stuff. Now I really wanna get in a fighting sport to advance my game for the next season. Which would be considered better for football: wrestling or boxing ? Wrestling could make my knee injury worse and boxing could make a new one ....
    I would say boxing. The conditioning you can get from boxing just by using a punch bag or pads is unbelievable. And you won't get punched in the face

merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000) merl227 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Minimal injury potential & you’re thinking between wrestling or boxing..?

Dude I did my 2nd class of BJJ last night which is similar to wrestling & I already got a minor injury when rolling with someone. If you’re afraid of getting injured again stay far away from both activities.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you use boxing to help train for football it's pretty safe if you do it right with a low chance of injury. Heavier gloves (16oz, 18oz) and proper wrapping reduce the chance of hand injury and if you do decide to spar you and your partner need to be under the control of a decent trainer who has you working on specific things (like not beating the other persons brain out). For football, focus mitt, work is great and you can modify the punch mechanics to be football legal (not rotating your shoulders through the punch, open fist and use the heel of you hand, etc). Heavy bag is work is great too and really works your seratus anterior. If you can find an open minded boxing trainer it can be quite usefull.

Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Awesome thanks

Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100) Einstein53 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    football, American or European (soccer)? If you're training for American Football then WS4SBv3 with the speed template would be good. Lifting, skill work, speed work and then GPP work (i.e sleds and medicine balls). You could also look at Track and Field throws training which is mainly Olympic lifts and other explosive training. If you're on offensive line, or defense then I would look into boxing if you're interested in a combat sport. Sparing (with head gear and heavier gloves) is good for football. A modified routine for punch mitts (where you attack with the heel of your hand and not a fist) can be great for working on football legal hand combat.
    Awesome thanks

Originally Posted by TSwizle View Post
    too me it depends.
    If your a corner, D-Lineman, o-lineman or Wide reciever. Boxing is the move. Get that fast hand speed to jam corners at the the line. Have faster hands hold D-Lineman back. Have faster hands and know down O-Line hands and get around them. Wide reciever better hands and knocks jamming wideouts off.

For Running backs/Linebackers/Safteys. I think wrestling at those postions. It is just hitting and no hand to hand combat (unless blocking at running back)
    Awesome thanks