PatioPrayer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy How to get over being weak when starting to work out?

So I’ve been going to the gym for a little over half a month now, and every time I go I feel bad about the weight I do.

I look at the forums and see people doing way more weight than I can(225 bench, 285 squat, 315 deadlift).

So any of you have any methods? Cause I always just feel puny and weak going to the gym, and I feel like it’s putting me off when working out.

(Btw I am not 48, 17 here, don’t know how to change age)

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Dude, everyone starts at square 1...and nobody else cares how much you can or can’t lift, trust me!

Don’t let your ego make you try to lift more than you can and get hurt. Learn to do the lifts right, and the weight will progress. People respect people who do it right, despite the load.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Get on a good, real, full body program (built around the big-boy compound lifts) that includes a specific progression scheme and you'll be adding weight and making progress to the point that you won't be worrying about others.

Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100) Zammy92 is not very well liked. (-100)
    GOMAD + wear a hoodie + Strength based programme (5x5) = results
    Vegetarian body-building

tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you’re in the gym doing work you’re already ahead of 95% of the population.

Everybody starts somewhere, nobody pushing mad weight started there.

Get on one of the beginner programs like Stronglifts. Get a notebook and record your lifts so you don’t lose track of where you are... and in a month look back and see your progress. In six months look back. In a year.

There’s an old Army joke:

Two guys went to basic training and were given a PT test. First guy does 50 push-ups. Second guy struggles and strains, and only gets one push-up. First guy calls second guy weak and pathetic. Second guy replies, maybe but next time I’ll do 2 push-ups and have improved 100%. What will you do?

If you’re in the gym becoming a better you you’re already winning the game. The numbers really don’t matter. Your only competition is you.

arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arandazzo88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PatioPrayer View Post
    So I’ve been going to the gym for a little over half a month now, and every time I go I feel bad about the weight I do.

I look at the forums and see people doing way more weight than I can(225 bench, 285 squat, 315 deadlift).

So any of you have any methods? Cause I always just feel puny and weak going to the gym, and I feel like it’s putting me off when working out.

(Btw I am not 48, 17 here, don’t know how to change age)
    “If you ramp up your workouts too fast or don't give yourself enough recovery time, you'll feel like crap early on in an exercise.''
    Takes your time, you do not compete with no one, know your limit and go with the flow.

Archetypus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had the same issue when I started lifting 9 months ago. I still lift lighter than other people.

I realized, though, that they really don't care. They help push me to he better but if I failed a lift, "Try it again. You can do this! "

Everyone started somewhere. If other people at your gym are shaming you cause you can't lift as much as them, find a new gym ot at least a new group to be around.

Surrounding yourself with positive people makes all the difference.

larzarus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with all this advice.

I know it can be intimidating in there, but everyone's different and everyone's goals are different.

Keep doing it right and the results will follow. I'm always the puny one in the gym but so what? I get up and make it there in the morning which is a great achievement in itself.

(Also smaller weights are more likely to be free to use!)

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Or you can take this advice...

Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebuilt3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don’t worry about the weight focus on the form every time. Strength will come. As well no one cares if you can’t lift heavy, hell I see women squatting heavier then me. I got a bad lower back however I still go and squat. It’s about your own progress not about comparing yourself to others
    Engineer Crew
    Injuries Crew
    Gaming Crew
    keeping morons in line crew

BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoldBeagle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there are wights for everyone! we all started weak, you will get stronger fast as long as you keep working!
    good luck!

souljacker89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PatioPrayer View Post
    Are you saying these are your numbers or these are numbers you see people lifting. Because after under a month of lifting this would be good numbers...

Regardless, as stated by others, keep focused on you and what your next target is.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Even Jim Wendler says one of the most important pieces of advice he did not take early on was to: "start too light".

Form is everything, and your best to dial that in at low weights when it is easy....be the "exemplary form guy", the pros will take notice if they are even bothering to look.

6 months will pass before you know it.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbrand2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been lifting for around 5 years now, going on 6.

I'm still not the big guy in the gym, I'm still not where I want to be at weight wise, I'm still not lifting as much as I want to be...

These thoughts should be the thoughts that drive you to get out of bed in the morning and get to the gym and do some work, one day at a time. If anybody makes fun of you for not being able to lift weight, they probably lack in character or confidence themselves, so don't ever let that bother you. Just remember to take things a day at a time, appreciate the results and progress you've made, and look forward to making more and working hard every day!