LXD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation How to balance working out and another sport?

Hello, my name is Luke, I’m 15 years old and I’m very new to bodybuilding.com (so if this is in wrong section I’m sorry... admin please move) and I had a quick question that would like to be answered ASAP!

I just started “Jason blahahs 5x5 Novice program” (updated version) about 2 months ago and seen amazing results so far! However just today I started Track and field. I will be doing running track for the whole season, 6 days a week, and will be doing my workout program 3 days a week. I already feel mentally and physically exhausted just from track and working out alone, it seems very hard to balance the two. Also I’m assuming working out will “slow me down”? I need help, do you think the volume is too much to see the best gains possible? What should I do? Thanks guys!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    working out won't slow you down, getting stronger makes you faster. Having said that, in season is not the best time to be doing an upper/lower four day split with a max upper and max lower body day. You need to work with your track coach and schools S&C coach for the program they want you to follow during the season. It will probably be more explosive and isolateral lower body work. You'll lift during the season but more often (and more volume/intensity) earlier in the season and further away from important meets.

For example, my son plays football (NG, LS) and is a thrower in Track & Field in college. At present they are in between the indoor and outdoor seasons so everyone is lifting heavy (especially the throwers, but sprinters too) for a few weeks. That volume and intensity will taper off as the first meet approaches and they will concentrate on more explosive lifts. Runners will lift a couple of days/week in season without heavy days (mostly full body days) but explosive lifts and power work throughout the week. The throwers will lift three days/week with one being a heavy full body day (usually incline bench and squat are the heavy lifts) and the others are more explosive (U/L split IIRC).

A couple of resources for you to look at but remember, you need to work this out with your coach.
    http://www.stack.com/a/sprinter-workout
    https://www.ncacoach.org/uploads/201...%20Lefever.pdf
    http://elitetrack.com/article_files/...rintcissik.pdf

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    working out won't slow you down, getting stronger makes you faster. Having said that, in season is not the best time to be doing an upper/lower four day split with a max upper and max lower body day. You need to work with your track coach and schools S&C coach for the program they want you to follow during the season. It will probably be more explosive and isolateral lower body work. You'll lift during the season but more often (and more volume/intensity) earlier in the season and further away from important meets.

For example, my son plays football (NG, LS) and is a thrower in Track & Field in college. At present they are in between the indoor and outdoor seasons so everyone is lifting heavy (especially the throwers, but sprinters too) for a few weeks. That volume and intensity will taper off as the first meet approaches and they will concentrate on more explosive lifts. Runners will lift a couple of days/week in season without heavy days (mostly full body days) but explosive lifts and power work throughout the week. The throwers will lift three days/week with one being a heavy full body day (usually incline bench and squat are the heavy lifts) and the others are more explosive (U/L split IIRC).

A couple of resources for you to look at but remember, you need to work this out with your coach.
    Ok thanks for the information, I just started track so I’m not sure what my school team is planning on doing as far as workout out... I think outdoor track might not even have a workout program but I’ll try to get back to you with that...

I understand that Jason Blahas 5x5 wouldn’t be the best to do at this time during the season... however I just can’t seem to wrap my head around doing another program. Everyone’s recommending a simple 5x5 program like this for beginners like me.
    Idk l, I’ll keep you posted on what happens, thanks again for all your help!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does your school play football? If it does then it has a Strength and Conditioning coach. Who runs your weight room? Talk to them. The problem is that you're a novice and won't really understand talk about programming. For what you need to do you really need to talk with a coach.

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    Does your school play football? If it does then it has a Strength and Conditioning coach. Who runs your weight room? Talk to them. The problem is that you're a novice and won't really understand talk about programming. For what you need to do you really need to talk with a coach.
    Yes, that’s a great idea, but I’m not in contact with him...
    Jason blahas 5x5 has a “cutting version” do you think doing 3x5 would be better than 5x5? Or should I just stop being a b**** and just do the 5x5 as best as I can?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LXD1 View Post
    Yes, that’s a great idea, but I’m not in contact with him...
    Jason blahas 5x5 has a “cutting version” do you think doing 3x5 would be better than 5x5? Or should I just stop being a b**** and just do the 5x5 as best as I can?
    Jason Blaha is a moron. I wouldnt follow anything he said. Unless of course you want to train to be an assassin in the Farm.

Do DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards v3. Add the running template if you wish. Having said that, you REALLY NEED TO BE IN CONTACT WITH YOUR COACH ON WHAT TO DO FOR TRACK. This is not optional. If you haven't been in contact then, MAKE IT YOUR PRIORITY TO GET IN CONTACT.

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LXD1 View Post
    ... it seems very hard to balance the two. Also I’m assuming working out will “slow me down”? I need help, do you think the volume is too much to see the best gains possible? What should I do? Thanks guys!
    At your age, volume is not a concern. I used to train 3 hours 5 days a week. That included sport-specific training (shot put, javeline, discus, hammer etc) and resistance training. Usually, it is recommended to have sport-specific training first, and then polish it with good 40-minute resistance training. Or break it into two sessions with 6-7 hours in between.

The only way to stay focused and not to feel burned out, is to have a good regimen of sleep and nutritious meals. You can't achieve this on your own, your family and friends will have to cooperate. It takes a few months for your mitochondrial density to respond to increased demand, after which this work load becomes normal, you will be in different class altogether.

For martial arts training though, it is better to have a bit of shadow and footwork (10-15 minutes) after each resistance training sessions. This is believed to help with speed and agility, kind of loosen you up from heavy lifting. Good luck.

hunter2001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I play football and workout like almost everyday. Overtime you're body will adapt to how much volume you're getting. I won't squat or anything before a game and you really have to plan your workouts with what you'll be doing at practice to make the most out of both of them. When you're doing this much your sleep and eating habits have to really be on point. During football season, I was eating like 4000 calories a day. You really can't eat too much. I would ask your coach to help program your workouts.