bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Distressed with bod pod reading

Went for a bod pod test yesterday, followed all the instructions (no drinking or eating or exercise 3 hours prior, wear compression shorts) and here's my results.

Height: 5'7"
    Body Fat: 37.6%
    Total Weight: 184
    LBM: 115
    FM: 69

I didn't expect to see sub 30% from the reading, but seeing these numbers really shocked me. I know I need to gain mass, but I have too much fat.
    Pic attached.
    Attached Images

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not really sure what the reason for getting the bod pod done was but the only appropriate primary goal for you is fat loss. Secondary goal is muscle retention via resistance exercise (i.e., lift) and eating sufficient protein. That would be the case if your results were 27% or 37% so the results shouldn't really change any for you. Best of luck as you continue dieting.

bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyfatsux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    I'm not really sure what the reason for getting the bod pod done was but the only appropriate primary goal for you is fat loss. Secondary goal is muscle retention via resistance exercise (i.e., lift) and eating sufficient protein. That would be the case if your results were 27% or 37% so the results shouldn't really change any for you. Best of luck as you continue dieting.
    '

Reasons were I was curious and more importantly finding out how much protein I should be eating. I have been going for 130g daily and I don't like the idea of lowering that amount.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyfatsux View Post
    '

Reasons were I was curious and more importantly finding out how much protein I should be eating. I have been going for 130g daily and I don't like the idea of lowering that amount.
    It's okay to get more protein than your minimum goal--I can't tell if you think your results mean you must lower that but they don't and if you like your 130g, you're ok to stick with it.

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dunno if you're in a reading mood, but I like to point people to this entire series (I'm linking to the Bod Pod specific one, but it links to the entire series of fat measurement techniques). https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...art-3-bod-pod/

Good article, but more importantly to me, good links to sources for people who like to dig. It can be interesting to read about the pitfalls and difficulties in actually measuring fat.

I have a friend that has access to a Bod Pod, so I can get readings whenever, and I can do multiple measurements per day. I've done that out of interest. I can tell you personally that on the same day multiple times, I've had variances of 3 or 4% and I've had days where the readings were consistent between readings, but were obviously not correct.
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

It's okay to get more protein than your minimum goal--I can't tell if you think your results mean you must lower that but they don't and if you like your 130g, you're ok to stick with it.
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep dieting all year long.

Originally Posted by ProYeo View Post
    Dunno if you're in a reading mood, but I like to point people to this entire series (I'm linking to the Bod Pod specific one, but it links to the entire series of fat measurement techniques). https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...art-3-bod-pod/

Good article, but more importantly to me, good links to sources for people who like to dig. It can be interesting to read about the pitfalls and difficulties in actually measuring fat.

I have a friend that has access to a Bod Pod, so I can get readings whenever, and I can do multiple measurements per day. I've done that out of interest. I can tell you personally that on the same day multiple times, I've had variances of 3 or 4% and I've had days where the readings were consistent between readings, but were obviously not correct.
    Thanks, that is a helpful link. And based on your reply and others' comments on that page, it definitely sounds more like a novelty thing, not to be taken too seriously. I think I'll stick with waist measurements and possibly BF calculations with that, one site I'm using puts me at 33.4% which I hope is more accurate.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Honestly, dude, I wouldn't stress too much whether it's 33% or 37%. It's enough to know it's in the 30s, way too high. And don't stress about lean body mass vs fat mass at this stage...you don't need to focus on anything except losing fat for right now, and so focus your energy on working out and eating a deficit. When it gets down to around 15% or so, which will take a while, you can switch gears and focus on adding some muscle mass. Good luck!

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    Honestly, dude, I wouldn't stress too much whether it's 33% or 37%. It's enough to know it's in the 30s, way too high. And don't stress about lean body mass vs fat mass at this stage...you don't need to focus on anything except losing fat for right now, and so focus your energy on working out and eating a deficit. When it gets down to around 15% or so, which will take a while, you can switch gears and focus on adding some muscle mass. Good luck!
    Do I need to wait until 15% or is it possible at 20%?

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do I need to wait until 15% or is it possible at 20%?
    You want to build muscle, which I totally get, but you have to understand that you can't build serious muscle and lose the kind of fat you need to lose at the same time...generally, people advise to not "bulk" at 20% or above, so my personal recommendation is to go all the way down to 15 or even lower...if you care about looking good aesthetically, doing that will be much better for you than gaining weight at 20%.

Keep in mind that even though you won't build a large amount of muscle while cutting, lifting on a proper program is going to make a big difference in how you look as you go through the process of losing this weight. It's remarkable the difference it can make.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    '

Protein intake (minimum for exercise) is incredibly simple: .8g per lb of body weight. You don't need to know your body fat.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    You want to build muscle, which I totally get, but you have to understand that you can't build serious muscle and lose the kind of fat you need to lose at the same time...generally, people advise to not "bulk" at 20% or above, so my personal recommendation is to go all the way down to 15 or even lower...if you care about looking good aesthetically, doing that will be much better for you than gaining weight at 20%.
    Honestly don't judge but I'm not trying to look super lean, I want to look strong and healthy with a little bit of fat to be a minimal 'strong' dad bod.

Keep in mind that even though you won't build a large amount of muscle while cutting, lifting on a proper program is going to make a big difference in how you look as you go through the process of losing this weight. It's remarkable the difference it can make.
    Even if I just maintain LBM or gain 2-3 LBMs, that would be great.

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Protein intake (minimum for exercise) is incredibly simple: .8g per lb of body weight. You don't need to know your body fat.
    That's a good rule of thumb, thanks!