br223 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Losing weight: Don't know where to start

Hey all

I know you guys get this **** a lot but,

I've tried to get on a program and lost weight a handful of times but i always end up not making progress or its just the lack of knowledge that i end up giving up on it a few weeks in. I'm 5'10 and around 285lbs. Cardio is hard for me due to a heart condition (Nothing that is MAJORLY impacting my life but makes it tougher to do sustained cardio) but i can still manage to get some in. I usually weight train and can get into a routine when i go to the gym but i lose a lot of motivation with not seeing progress and stuff like that. I know progress doesn't happen all that much in the first few weeks so i guess i can't really use that as an excuse. I've been told that i should slim down first and then try and weight train but its hard to know what to listen to over the internet so

In all i just want a solid starting point for the journey i want and need to take to slim down and be healthy. A program that has a good cardio stuff in it and i guess a better meal plan since i usually just stick with the basic chicken, rice and veggies.

Thanks all in advance
    br

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go back 1 page, read the "Don't Look Past the Basics" sticky. Weight loss is all about diet, you can't out-train bad nutrition.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Go back 1 page, read the "Don't Look Past the Basics" sticky. Weight loss is all about diet, you can't out-train bad nutrition.
    This ^^^^^. Exactly.

OP, you need to input (eat) fewer calories than you burn on an ongoing, daily basis. Eat less. Move more.

You SHOULD lift weights while you are dropping the pounds in order to give your body a reason to "hold on" to muscle as it burns fat. (If you don't lift, in general, you'll burn/lose more muscle as you lose weight. In this scenario, you'll still be soft and squishy as the weight comes off because your body fat will remain higher than if you lift while losing.)

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    This ^^^^^. Exactly.

OP, you need to input (eat) fewer calories than you burn on an ongoing, daily basis. Eat less. Move more.

You SHOULD lift weights while you are dropping the pounds in order to give your body a reason to "hold on" to muscle as it burns fat. (If you don't lift, in general, you'll burn/lose more muscle as you lose weight. In this scenario, you'll still be soft and squishy as the weight comes off because your body fat will remain higher than if you lift while losing.)
    Well before all the snow and everything we got here on the east coast i was going regularly at least 3-4 times a week but i was mainly doing weight training and not much cardio. I know how important diet is and i try my best to cut out fried food and sugary drinks in favor of seltzer water or just plain water. I guess what i need help with the most is knowing what kind/how much cardio to do per week and what days to do it

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by br223 View Post
    Well before all the snow and everything we got here on the east coast i was going regularly at least 3-4 times a week but i was mainly doing weight training and not much cardio. I know how important diet is and i try my best to cut out fried food and sugary drinks in favor of seltzer water or just plain water. I guess what i need help with the most is knowing what kind/how much cardio to do per week and what days to do it
    You need to go read the sticky xsquid mentioned. Cardio is good for your heart health, but if you are counting on the calories burned from cardio to drive/determine your weight loss, you are going to be disappointed AGAIN.

Diet drives weight loss.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You actually don't need to do any cardio to lose weight, especially not with your current stats. If you put yourself in a decent caloric deficit with your diet the weight will fall off of you. If you have a heart condition its best if you speak to a medical professional about how much and what type of cardio you should be doing.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by br223 View Post
    Hey all

I know you guys get this **** a lot but,

I've tried to get on a program and lost weight a handful of times but i always end up not making progress or its just the lack of knowledge that i end up giving up on it a few weeks in. I'm 5'10 and around 285lbs. Cardio is hard for me due to a heart condition (Nothing that is MAJORLY impacting my life but makes it tougher to do sustained cardio) but i can still manage to get some in. I usually weight train and can get into a routine when i go to the gym but i lose a lot of motivation with not seeing progress and stuff like that. I know progress doesn't happen all that much in the first few weeks so i guess i can't really use that as an excuse. I've been told that i should slim down first and then try and weight train but its hard to know what to listen to over the internet so

In all i just want a solid starting point for the journey i want and need to take to slim down and be healthy. A program that has a good cardio stuff in it and i guess a better meal plan since i usually just stick with the basic chicken, rice and veggies.

Thanks all in advance
    br
    be consistent in your diet choices over a few weeks and you'll see results, just takes determination

MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100) MichaelUk808 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by MichaelUk808 View Post
    be consistent in your diet choices over a few weeks and you'll see results, just takes determination
    yea mate so go for bench press, deadlift, squat, barbell row, military press, get some zma, fish oil, multi vit, if you smoke quit that ****, smokings for the weak, you want a diet plan respond to this one and i'll sort you out

Originally Posted by MichaelUk808 View Post
    yea mate so go for bench press, deadlift, squat, barbell row, military press, get some zma, fish oil, multi vit, if you smoke quit that ****, smokings for the weak, you want a diet plan respond to this one and i'll sort you out
    Hey Michael,

To start off i do not smoke. I could use some pointers on a diet and thank you for the offer!