ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100)

Mark rippetoe's bench press technique or dave tates

İm a beginner doing stronglifts about 3 months. İ was using mark rippetoes bench pres technique but my weight on barbell didnt increased. İ realized i wasnt squzeing my upper back and using leg drive. So my set up was bad . But i change to dave tates bp style before fixing my form. But when i arch too much my lower back hurts. And its too difficult for me to use this technique. İ want to go back to rippetoes style and work on it. but im afraid if i get shoulder injury. İ dont want to do powerlifting. My goal is bodybuilding but i dont want to get injury.
    Last edited by ifeelsoy; 03-11-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Fyinn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ifeelsoy View Post
    But when i arch too much my lower back hurts. And its too difficult for me to use this technique.
    You should not arch your lower back actively, but the upper back, think of it as an arc, you raise your chest to the ceiling as much as you can, while keeping your traps squeezed on the bench, your lower back should not be arched all that much.

Also, dont do things that hurt you, not a good sign after all, as you said you are a beinnger, it takes time to get the right technique down. I think without a video of you benching, no one can really advice you that well.

ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100) ifeelsoy is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Fyinn View Post
    You should not arch your lower back actively, but the upper back, think of it as an arc, you raise your chest to the ceiling as much as you can, while keeping your traps squeezed on the bench, your lower back should not be arched all that much.

Also, dont do things that hurt you, not a good sign after all, as you said you are a beinnger, it takes time to get the right technique down. I think without a video of you benching, no one can really advice you that well.
    İ didnt arch alot just more than a natural arch but still i get lower back pain.
    On Ripptoes technique it feels more natural and easy . Only question why ppl say ripptoes technique dangerous ? İts tucked 75 degree not 90.

İ didnt arch alot just more than a natural arch but still i get lower back pain.
    On Ripptoes technique it feels more natural and easy . Only question why ppl say ripptoes technique dangerous ? İts tucked 75 degree not 90.
    Not too sure what you are trying to say here, tbh. ...

Just stick with the technique you feel comfortable with ?! Lower back pain can have multiple reasons, you won't get adequate help here, with so little information.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Shoulder blades down and back, lats, abs and legs tight, medium grip and touch below the nips..

Do it clean and dont grind bad reps.
    That's the basis of it.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Shoulder blades down and back, lats, abs and legs tight, medium grip and touch below the nips..

Do it clean and dont grind bad reps.
    That's the basis of it.
    So its basically like dave tate showed right ?

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So its basically like dave tate showed right ?
    Both teach the same thing..

This is currently my goto vid for bench form.

https://youtu.be/v42Rd996_h4
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 03-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

Thanks this video was helpful i will use this tips on benching .
    But on tates video he is tucking elbows 45 degree. But in this i think 75 degrees.

kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kwong486 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Dude...you can't not arch your lower back but only your upper back. Am I the only one that thinks this makes no sense? Or what am I missing? Genuinely curious.
    BP-305x1, 295x3
    DL-495x1,455x3
    S-365x1, 335x3

You are correct probably got me wrong.

Ofcourse the lower back will be arched, BUT you are not trying to do that actively, like i wrote, but try to raise your ches to the ceiling, not the belly.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are correct probably got me wrong.

Ofcourse the lower back will be arched, BUT you are not trying to do that actively, like i wrote, but try to raise your ches to the ceiling, not the belly.
    I still dont think you are describing it properly.

And I dont see where either Rippetoe or Tate teach the bench set up differently, and I have several of their books.

So all i need to do get my shoulderblades back and down. Push my heels on the floor. Squze butt. And slightly tuck about 75 degree to keep shoulder safe.
    İs this correct ? Or should i tuck more ?

rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dave Tate has the best vids for it and I've benched like that for all of SS & texas method. It saves the shoulder joints especially during 5x5x275+ sets.
    Boycott foodservice industry crew

SilvanaWilliams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Of course, don't do anything that causes pain, you just may not have a big arch. Have you trided stretches to lengthen your back? Although the arch may begin at the lower back, try concentrating on middle back, as mentioned. I try to think of my cheste reaching up to meet the bar on every rep.

Originally Posted by rectifryer View Post
    Dave Tate has the best vids for it and I've benched like that for all of SS & texas method. It saves the shoulder joints especially during 5x5x275+ sets.
    What about chest development. Ppl say its minimize chest activation.

http s://you tu.b e/GIqcXj2pAPA
    İs this the proper form ? Mark rippetoe teaches like this. Mehdi on stronglifts do like this. İm not into powerlifting like should i really tuck like on the dave tates video ?

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kwong486 View Post
    Dude...you can't not arch your lower back but only your upper back. Am I the only one that thinks this makes no sense? Or what am I missing? Genuinely curious.
    I think he is talking about it from a cueing perspective. He is saying don't think about arching your back, rather think about raising your chest as high to the ceiling as possible

Look. How much u tuck is purely theory wanking here. Paralysis by analysis.

Just Touch chest below nips with a grip that has ur forearms vertical at the bottom. And press back out.

With tight scap, lats, legs n abs... this will give u a good barpath and at minimum a safe natural arch.

Nothing else can be said until you post a video of you benching now.
    FMH crew - Couch.

ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWhite90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

https://youtu.be/v42Rd996_h4
    Thanks for posting this, I watched it yesterday on my lunch and used his setup procedure and it greatly improved the feel I got in my chest, however because I was pushing my lats to far into the bench it did make it slightly harder to get the BB off the pins
    Bench: 52.5kg/110lbs ///// Squat: 70kg/154lbs ///// OHP: 30kg/88lbs ///// BB Row: 40kg/88lbs

Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My workout journal. Currently running 5/3/1 https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173793371

Look. How much u tuck is purely theory wanking here. Paralysis by analysis.

Just Touch chest below nips with a grip that has ur forearms vertical at the bottom. And press back out.

With tight scap, lats, legs n abs... this will give u a good barpath and at minimum a safe natural arch.

Nothing else can be said until you post a video of you benching now.
    İ tried what you said and do same as the video. My lower back wasnt sore and i was using leg drive . İ get 3sets ofn5 but last rep i almost fail. İ rest and try do to 4.sets with dave style ( more tucking) i only able to get 3 reps with lower back pain.
    İll post a video next time i bench.
    And when i bench like on the videi after that day my chest was sore for 2 days. İ think that because i didnt activate my chest before during bench press.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What about chest development. Ppl say its minimize chest activation.
    Most people dont have the chest development of Dave tate, especially a few years ago when he leaned out.