thejeffer26597 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I can't feel my chest being 'worked out' during or after chest exercises.

I've only been working out for around 2 months, and I assumed, when I started, that not feeling the chest excercises in your chest was usual for beginners. Since then, I've spoken to a lot of people that have been working out for about the same length of time as me and they say that they can still feel their chest 'hurting?' (not sure of the correct terminology) for the next 48 hours or so. I normally do 3 sets of 12 bench presses and chest flies (at home) on a flat bench using dumbbells for both. I've watched numerous videos that describe the technique, e.g. keeping your shoulders back, keeping your chest pumped and your back arched, keep the dumbbells at a 45 degree angle for the bench press and keeping your elbows relatively close etc... but these techniques don't seem to have changed much. I've also tried dropping the weight of the dumbbells considerably, where I've gone from doing 11kg (24lbs) (per dumbbell) for the bench press, gradually decreasing each week to test if I could start to feel more in my chest, to at a point now where I am doing 6kg (13lbs) (per dumbbell) yet I still am not feeling much in my chest. My arms often feel like they've been worked out more than my chest. I do get a slight very short term feeling in the top corners of my pecs towards the armpits, but other than that, nothing. My arms have grown considerably since I started 2 months ago, but my chest has seen no noticable progress.

I am honestly clueless at this point, and any suggestions would be seriously appreciated.

Also, incase anyone wants to know, this is my workout routine:
    1st day: Arms and back
    2nd day: Chest and shoulders
    3rd day: Legs and abs
    4th day: rest

TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheRevilo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tbh I wouldn’t really worry about it. I barely ever feel anything in my chest during chest exercises however it’s the muscle group that has grown the most for me.
    However if your chest isn’t growing I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you’re either not lifting heavy enough or you’re not eating enough to put on the muscle

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thejeffer26597 View Post
    Also, incase anyone wants to know, this is my workout routine:
    1st day: Arms and back
    2nd day: Chest and shoulders
    3rd day: Legs and abs
    4th day: rest
    This is a list of body parts. What are you actually doing?

NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rather than the bro-split, you switch to a proper program, full body for a novice- there are plenty in the stickies.

I really wouldn’t worry about ‘feeling’ your chest. Just make sure you are going through the entire range of motion, bar to your chest, pause, lock out at the top. Progressively add weight and everything will grow.

You might not be feeling it now as maybe either your triceps are really strong, or the weight is really light (possible if you’re doing 12 rep sets), your triceps are probably capable of picking up most of the slack right now. As you increase weight on the bar they won’t be able to get the weight up as easily and your chest will become more involved, as your bench gets heavier the larger muscles (pecs) will have to be doing their share of the work
    -Always pick 2 Crew
    -Positive Crew
    -IIFYM Crew
    -Getting dangerously close to Over 35 Misc Crew

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3 sets of 12 bench pressing and flyes. I am certain the weights you are using are so tiny you dont even need to engage your pecs.

Get a proper routine focused on strength and you'll learn how to lift with actual weight on the bar, wich will engage your pecs and delts.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    3 sets of 12 bench pressing and flyes. I am certain the weights you are using are so tiny you dont even need to engage your pecs.

Get a proper routine focused on strength and you'll learn how to lift with actual weight on the bar, wich will engage your pecs and delts.
    This was my exact thought .
    OP, have 6-7 days of rest ,and then do a dozen sets maxing out with weights that you can only do 5 reps with, and tell me you can’t feel it for the next couple days
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 03-18-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Make Misc great again

NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NoFeels is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    This was my exact thought .
    OP, have 6-7 days of rest ,and then do a dozen sets maxing out with weights that you can only do 5 reps with, and tell me you can’t feel it for the next couple days
    Yep

You could take it further and try to find a weight you can do 2-3 reps with, and try and get 20-25 reps done in a session a couple of times a week. Long breaks (5 min +) between sets and just focus on total reps.
    -Always pick 2 Crew
    -Positive Crew
    -IIFYM Crew
    -Getting dangerously close to Over 35 Misc Crew

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NoFeels View Post
    Yep

You could take it further and try to find a weight you can do 2-3 reps with, and try and get 20-25 reps done in a session a couple of times a week. Long breaks (5 min +) between sets and just focus on total reps.
    I like 10x3 protocol with benching myself. I use my 5rm and find I can get a lot of volume in with a relatively heavy weight.