SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lyle McDonald GBR

I was checking out Lyle McDonald bulking routine and I saw that he suggests doing this on lower days:

Squat
    SLDL OR Leg Curl
    Leg Press
    Another Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Seated Calf Raises

So, basically, he relies on squats to target everything except of knee flexion, calves and rectus femoris so he addresses these issues by incorporating leg curls, calf raises and leg press respectively. I know that many people achieve great results nowadays, as in the past, without deadlifting. But, do you think it's okay to leave all the work for the hip hinge movement pattern solely to squats? And why does he consider SLDL and leg curls interchangeable when one primarily involves movement from the hip and the other from the knee?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SaulGuzman View Post
    I know that many people achieve great results nowadays, as in the past, without deadlifting. But, do you think it's okay to leave all the work for the hip hinge movement pattern solely to squats? And why does he consider SLDL and leg curls interchangeable when one primarily involves movement from the hip and the other from the knee?
    In your own questions you both acknowledge and ignore the fact that SLDL is a DL variation.

Also, he's fine if you DL on GBR. You're not necessarily supposed to do the exact same thing on the other lower day.

SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SaulGuzman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    In your own questions you both acknowledge and ignore the fact that SLDL is a DL variation.

Also, he's fine if you DL on GBR. You're not necessarily supposed to do the exact same thing on the other lower day.
    I know that SLDL is a DL variation. However, if I'm not mistaken, you can choose between perform both or pick one of them. Therefore, you can follow this program without incorporating any deadlift or hip hinge variants.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SaulGuzman View Post
    I know that SLDL is a DL variation. However, if I'm not mistaken, you can choose between perform both or pick one of them. Therefore, you can follow this program without incorporating any deadlift or hip hinge variants.
    He specifically also says you can choose a DL-leg press combo too and other substitutions. Therefore, you can incorporate them too - do whatever you want.

These "do you think it's ok?" type questions aren't really that useful.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From his program design, you can get an idea how he understands the audience. Some people will complain about RDL's... so he gives an option. He does not give an option for squat, so that's his non-negotiable. GBR is for general population... and general population overall complains and makes 1,000,000 excuses.

In general, when I make recommendations to people I do the same thing, I make pattern recommendations not lift recommendations. If I say squat, do a squat pattern (back, goblet, box, etc).

No routine is "perfect" and working to perfect a routine that will ultimately stop producing results in 8-16 weeks (or something) is just a waste of time IMO.

Now, after that rant, is the RDL an effective replacement for pulls from the floor? For general population, I'd argue yes. For powerlifters, obviously no. Most people lack the mobility and flexiblity to deads from the floor right or they lack the space/flooring to do it. While they should deadlift and build that mobility, I'd argue most don't want to and it's a time economy thing... If RDL's are 90% as effective as traditional deads, but deads take a person 1-2 months to build the proper mobility and they realistically are only going to train for a few months before bailing from the gym... what's the best bang for your buck?
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

OP, to be clear, GBR isn’t a program like F5 where the author declares that you must run it exactly as written except for his few allowable substitutions.