Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) AkiraFudo is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Inb4100000th post

Elramos26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good read. Bump

bullybot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    MYTH: Low reps is for strength, high reps is for size.

Once beyond the novice stage, you will find that you need more and more volume to keep the results coming. THIS is where problems with lower rep sets will make themselves apparent.
    What's the definition of novice stage/how do I know if I am past it? Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bullybot View Post
    What's the definition of novice stage/how do I know if I am past it? Thanks
    Novices can make progress in their lifting every workout or every week. Intermediate progress is slower. Note that this assumes you are doing everything correctly. There are many other reasons why you might not progress as quickly as you can.

There are some exrx strength standards tables (google it) which can give an idea on expected strength levels for different levels. There is obviously some debate about this but they can be viewed as broad averages for athletes.

machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100) machine54 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for the post lots of good info. I want to build strength and am not focusing on size as I am actually trying to lean out for more definition.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by machine54 View Post
    Thanks for the post lots of good info. I want to build strength and am not focusing on size as I am actually trying to lean out for more definition.
    Definition = muscle size + low bodyfat.

So you should still target hypertrophy training - but then reduce calorie intake too.

DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DieLardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good read, gone are the days when I used to go heavy as fook and only manage 4-6 reps max per set. Injuries are much less now and growth far better

Pilot5299 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=SuffolkPunch;1545945481]MYTH: Low reps is for strength, high reps is for size.

Although this contains a grain of truth, it leads to wrong thinking - the classic problem we get on this forum is the legion of novices who don't want to do novice routines because they contain 5 rep sets ... which are "for strength" not "for mass". This is (mostly) incorrect.

Strength and size are intertwined and it's worth taking a few minutes to understand how...

1) What is SIZE? - this is easy enough, it's how big the muscle is. A larger muscle contains more fibres (myofibrils) and more fluid (sarcoplasm). Note that these two components tend to stay in the same proportions to one another regardless of whether the muscle shrinks or grows - and regardless of how you train.

2) What is STRENGTH? A simple measure is the peak force a muscle can produce. This will determine how much weight you can lift in a 1-rep-maximum effort attempt for a simple movement.
    There are actually 2 components to strength:
    - The size of the muscle - more fibers means more ability to contract and produce force. Size is the most important factor for strength.
    - Neural factors - how well your brain coordinates the firing pattern of all the fibres in your muscle (or lots of muscles together in the case of a complex movement).

Hey guys, Suffolk Punch, When talking about strength you say you measure it by a 1-rep-maximum in a single movement, but do you think this is the best way to measure strength? Can't some people have more or less of different types of muscle fibers? Can genetics play a role in this? Also with the single movement this is a high-velocity muskuloskeletal movement which can be considered very dangerous and a risky way to "measure" strength. I personally do not know the best or correct way to measure pure strength but to me, one rep maximums in a ballistic movement doesn't seem the most effective or safest. What do you guys think about how strength is and has been measured by one rep maximums?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Pilot5299 View Post
    Also with the single movement this is a high-velocity muskuloskeletal movement which can be considered very dangerous and a risky way to "measure" strength. I personally do not know the best or correct way to measure pure strength but to me, one rep maximums in a ballistic movement doesn't seem the most effective or safest. What do you guys think about how strength is and has been measured by one rep maximums?
    You're not training for strength or size with these kinds of movements.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Hey guys, Suffolk Punch, When talking about strength you say you measure it by a 1-rep-maximum in a single movement, but do you think this is the best way to measure strength? Can't some people have more or less of different types of muscle fibers? Can genetics play a role in this? Also with the single movement this is a high-velocity muskuloskeletal movement which can be considered very dangerous and a risky way to "measure" strength. I personally do not know the best or correct way to measure pure strength but to me, one rep maximums in a ballistic movement doesn't seem the most effective or safest. What do you guys think about how strength is and has been measured by one rep maximums?
    To me, strength is the ability to produce force - so maximum strength is the maximum force you can produce.

I mentioned that this should be in a 'simple' movement in an effort to rule out technique which can make a huge difference in a complex lift like a squat. Researchers will test strength using something really simple like a max effort leg extension - with thigh strapped down to prevent cheating.

Yes, fiber types (which are genetically determined) make a difference - those with more slow twitch will simply not be as strong. You have to compare yourself to yourself to gauge progress if you are training for strength.

Ballistic movements exhibit power (force*velocity) rather than peak strength (just force) which is slightly different. Again, stick to simple movements where you can apply force throughout the entire range of motion (for example a deadlift, not a power clean) - and then you can use enough resistance to prevent excessive speed development so it's strength not power you are measuring.

Muscle Physiology Junkie Nwlifter's Avatar
    Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When talking about strength you say you measure it by a 1-rep-maximum in a single movement, but do you think this is the best way to measure strength?
    That 'is' strength. Total maximum force.

Can't some people have more or less of different types of muscle fibers?
    Yes, we all vary in our muscle fiber 'speed endurance' characteristics. Which is mostly influenced by previous training. But that matters not for 'strength'. How fast a fiber can contract doesn't alter it's force potential. Force potential of a fiber is directly correlated with it's 'size', the number of fibrils within the fiber, this determines how many crossbridges in parallel that can attach. The only reason faster fibers produce more 'force' is they usually are larger. A fast fiber can produce more 'power' (speed strength) due to it being able to contract literally 'faster'. But pure strength/force is determined by size.

Can genetics play a role in this?
    Genetics for fiber type is a 'starting point', training influences them the most (listen to some Andy Galpin podcasts, the number one researcher in this field currently.
    https://renaissanceperiodization.com...ounded-debate/

Also with the single movement this is a high-velocity muskuloskeletal movement which can be considered very dangerous and a risky way to "measure" strength. I personally do not know the best or correct way to measure pure strength but to me, one rep maximums in a ballistic movement doesn't seem the most effective or safest. What do you guys think about how strength is and has been measured by one rep maximums?
    1RM, fast? Ballistic?
    1RM is sloooow, cannot be ballistic and max strength.

But unless you need to know your 1RM, no need to ever risk it anyway if it concerns you, as far as muscle hypertrophy is concerned.
    Last edited by Nwlifter; 09-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Articles I've written for Weightrainer website
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html#Ron_Sowers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Must read books
    Enoka: Neuromechanics of Human Movement
    Siff: Supertraining
    Schoenfeld: Science and Development of Muscular Hypertrophy
    Komi: Strength and Power in Sport
    McRobert: Beyond Brawn

ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezio6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good day suffolk punch, thanks for the thread, very informed and gain more knowledge by this thread! Im just wondering about progressive overload, what is the minimum frequency of weight progressive overload in your opinion? Is it weekly? Monthly? Daily? Thanks

Originally Posted by ezio6 View Post
    Good day suffolk punch, thanks for the thread, very informed and gain more knowledge by this thread! Im just wondering about progressive overload, what is the minimum frequency of weight progressive overload in your opinion? Is it weekly? Monthly? Daily? Thanks
    Kind of off topic - may be better to start a new thread. But it depends on the experience level. Novices can add weight every week or even every workout.

mjacketss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for sharing us yours precious time to create this post, its so informative and the content make post more interesting. really appreciated.

nancyedwards is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    \i strongly agree that both size and strength go hand in hand. I believe the biggest factor is fat. Many "Bulk up" carry more water weight than a leaner person

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Adding to the discussion Mike Israetel's recent lecture that there actually is a notable difference between the two styles of training, mainly for intermediates and above. I'd agree with Suffolk that for novices strength is size and size is strength, but novices going for lifelong training could benefit from knowing the differences in order to set themselves up for their long term goals.

Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Adding to the discussion Mike Israetel's recent lecture that there actually is a notable difference between the two styles of training, mainly for intermediates and above. I'd agree with Suffolk that for novices strength is size and size is strength, but novices going for lifelong training could benefit from knowing the differences in order to set themselves up for their long term goals.

Would you mind posting a TL;DR please? I am in China and can not access YouTube due to vpn currently down !
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

^^
    A lot of my knowledge comes from Dr. Mike so this is no suprise for me at least

Summary:
    - more advanced -> more differences between size and strength
    - Beginners can do both at the same time! 5-10 reps, it's all good
    - MOST of the following applys more to advanced lifters seeking to optimise their particular goal
    - optimised strength or sport specific training -> loading differences
    - neurologically, you should be closer to the rep range you compete in
    - size increases can translate into strength improvements but it takes time - longer if differences in rep ranges are larger
    - size training needs more volume hence it's harder with lower reps due to buildup of fatigue and stress on connective tissue
    - hypertrophy training can be done when more fatigued - not so reliant on perfect technique
    - MAV for strength training and heavy weights may not be high enough volume for muscle growth. So advanced lifters may have to accept hypertrophy stops when training for peak strength
    - strength = increases in load, hypertrophy = increases in volume. There comes a point where you can't have both
    - strength specific to exercise - less variety
    - hypertrophy benefits from more exercises - assuming you need the total volume
    - concurrent training for strength and size is possible for more advanced lifters with alternating mesocycles focusing on one thing at a time

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^
    A lot of my knowledge comes from Dr. Mike so this is no suprise for me at least
    Many thanks, much appreciated!

I have read through his articles on his website last year, I can’t remember the website name but he breaks down each muscle group, talks about minimum sets per week, maximum sets per week, how to find it and also the concept of increasing volume over time until you reach the tipping point at which you need to deload and start off at a lower volume again.

So what he is essentially saying in the video is that there is a certain point where you will have to start specializing, ultimately confirming the idea that high reps is better for size later into your lifting career, as the volume needed would be too high to sustain a low rep, heavy weight routine.

So it’s not necessarily that the high reps themselves are considerably better for size, just it’s easier to maintain high volume with higher rep sets due to less tax on the CNS, less concern about break down in form and lifting technique etc. Assuming I have understood the information correctly.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

I think he's generally right in that higher reps can accommodate more volume. But I have heard anecdotes from experienced powerlifters that if they switch to unusual (i.e. higher) rep ranges, it taxes them a lot more than the rep range they are most used to working in. So there is an element of adaptation.

Also, it's not CNS that fatigues. General systemic fatigue is something different. Read: https://mennohenselmans.com/cns-fatigue/

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TonedJordan View Post
    So it’s not necessarily that the high reps themselves are considerably better for size, just it’s easier to maintain high volume with higher rep sets due to less tax on the CNS, less concern about break down in form and lifting technique etc. Assuming I have understood the information correctly.
    No. Most folks who review scientific data associated with training agree that a well designed higher volume program will produce more hypertrophy than it's lower volume counterpart. There is very likely a distinction between strength and hypertrophy training.

The key is that at the early stages of training strength vs hypertrophy is not very relevant as the trainee has limited skill, stamina, strength, etc. Beginner programs are so effective because folks learn training movements and to train the whole body frequently. For someone like me who beyond basic health and fitness is only interested in size and symmetry the time on a beginner program was still very well spent.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Random albeit related question:

How do the different training styles influence myofibrillar vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, if such a factor can be influenced at all.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elucid99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks, lots of info!

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Random albeit related question:

How do the different training styles influence myofibrillar vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, if such a factor can be influenced at all.
    IIRC, your choice of training *probably* doesn't influence it - but different people do get varying levels of one vs. the other.

Article here:
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/sa...ophy-relevant/

DayChallenger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice post wish someone explain this to me like that 15 years a go ! haha

dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Weights can't be too low. I mean you can't do 50 rep sets. You definitely can't do 15 rep sets that you could have done 30 times.

At the intermediate level though I think you have to do some of both, hypertrophy and strength. I've seen quite few young strong looking men, who squat 305 for 1-2 reps or some shiz.

Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Outstanding man. You finally answered my questions. One more though, how would you know when to switch to more volume for novices? After 6 months? A year? I'm still sub 300 with my rep sets although I have pulled 1rm of 315 in squat and DL.

GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think this is true!

UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500) UtkelbaevR is not very helpful. (-500)
    MYTH: Low reps is for strength, high reps is for size.

Although this contains a grain of truth, it leads to wrong thinking - the classic problem we get on this forum is the legion of novices who don't want to do novice routines because they contain 5 rep sets ... which are "for strength" not "for mass". This is (mostly) incorrect.

Strength and size are intertwined and it's worth taking a few minutes to understand how...

1) What is SIZE? - this is easy enough, it's how big the muscle is. A larger muscle contains more fibres (myofibrils) and more fluid (sarcoplasm). Note that these two components tend to stay in the same proportions to one another regardless of whether the muscle shrinks or grows - and regardless of how you train.

2) What is STRENGTH? A simple measure is the peak force a muscle can produce. This will determine how much weight you can lift in a 1-rep-maximum effort attempt for a simple movement.
    There are actually 2 components to strength:
    - The size of the muscle - more fibers means more ability to contract and produce force. Size is the most important factor for strength.
    - Neural factors - how well your brain coordinates the firing pattern of all the fibres in your muscle (or lots of muscles together in the case of a complex movement).

So how do you train for each of these qualities?

1) Training for SIZE is most closely related to the amount of volume you perform. The best and simplest way of measuring volume is the number of HARD SETS you do for a particular body part over the course of 1 week.
    - We use sets not reps because actually the number of reps is just not that important, you can grow muscle with higher or lower reps within a wide range (say from 1-30 reps per set).
    - We call them HARD sets because you have to train up to or very close to the point of FAILURE in every set. It's still possible to grow from using less exertion than this - but if you are interested in measuring your volume, this can muddy the waters.
    - Research shows that 10 hard sets for each body part, done over 1 week is a good starting point for hypertrophy. This tends to need to increase the more experienced you get.

2) Training for STRENGTH. From reading the above it should be clear that you are most interested in growing the muscles involved - because a bigger muscle is stronger. If your goal is to be as strong as possible, you also need to give some thought to the previously mentioned neural factors. It turns out that training with heavier weights is better for training neural efficiency.

So can we have both??

You will get both anyway - in any program. As a novice, you can maximise your ability to acquire both without any compromise. This is what novice routines that use 5 rep sets are for!

Once beyond the novice stage, you will find that you need more and more volume to keep the results coming. THIS is where problems with lower rep sets will make themselves apparent. The problem with using very heavy weights all the time are that you are at greater risk of injury especially when approaching the point of failure. Doing enough hard sets with a heavier weight also produces a lot more fatigue than using lighter weights. So you will find that if you want enough volume to maximise hypertrophy you cannot keep up training over a long period with heavy weights.

You have to specialise. If you are a bodybuilder, you have to compromise by reducing the weight and accepting that your neural gains will not be as good. If you are a powerlifter, you will have to reduce work done on exercises that don't affect strength in the big 3 lifts as much (like bicep curls for example).

Do novices have to train for strength first even if they want size?

I'm going to say no - but consider everything I've written above. And also remember that novices gain mostly neural efficiency in their first 4-6 weeks - gains from this will far outstrip mass gains - but like I said they should get both at the same time and do not need to use a high rep program. There is the possibility that more strength can lead to more ability to grow muscle once you are more experienced and have to work harder to produce a growth stimulus... this is somewhat uncertain - but if you can max out both why wouldn't you!?

The key point worth repeating is that 5 rep sets can maximise muscle growth in novices. It's just that they don't often see their results as soon as they would like because their body composition is usually worse than they imagine it is. It's not until you get to mid intermediate stage with 14% or lower body fat that you actually start to look "in shape"

--------

[I wrote this in response to another thread along similar lines, I think this is a concise way to address the rep range and size vs. strength thing...]

There isn't the distinction you think there is between strength and hypertrophy training.

When you train in a given rep range, you get better at performing in that rep range. This adaptation could be called strength if it's a lower rep range or endurance if it's a higher rep range - but it's essentially a specialisation of your motor pathways. Ask yourself why you need it if your ultimate goal is muscle gain. It's really only something to worry about for sport specific training.

Hypertrophy happens in almost all rep ranges - only at the very fringes does it become inefficient (very low or very high weight) at building muscle. What matters is the total volume - the best way of measuring that is by the number of hard sets you do. Yes, hard sets of 3 or 5 reps count just as much as set of 8 or 10 but may be harder to sustain over time.

As for progression
    - regularly increase weight if you can
    - if you can't, increase reps per set (you can reset to lower reps when you move up in weight)
    - if you can't do that then increase total volume by adding sets (you can reduce sets back down after a deload).

The weight used depends on the exercise but for most things, a weight that yields sets of between 5 and 15 reps works fine for sustained hypertrophy training.
    size

AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100) AresM8 is not very well liked. (-100)