Reply
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline

    Progress or not?

    Hi everyone. I'm new here and would appreciate some advice.

    Backstory (can skip if you want)

    I'm in my mid twenties, female, 5'6, and last year I weighed 80 kgs and went down 10 kgs in 3 months through pure self saboteur. I exercised 5-6 times a week, mixed it up with cardio and strength training for about 2 hours minimum, and would basically starve myself. I went down two sizes as well. People saw the change and applauded me whereas I had developed body dysmorphia and an eating disorder. I lost a lot of hair, felt I was still fat if not fatter, and would replace food with intense workouts.

    Fast forward to a few months later I went through a stressful time that inhibited me from working out and eventually I gained all the weight back (no surprise). I was depressed at the time but now take it as another chance to go about it correctly.

    I started 3 months ago on this journey at 81 kgs with plans to lose up to 15-20 kgs over a span of 1-2 years. I want to take it slow and do it right. I decided to space my weigh ins across months and not weeks to not develop an obsession. I work out also only 3 days a week with a 30 minute cardio warm up and a 40-60 minute strength training program, so I do legs one day, arms another, and finally abs on the third. I started with a caloric intake of 1400 but after the first two months have bumped it up to around 1550 after I started noticing visible muscles. My carbs intake is 180g, protein 72g, and fat 48g which I stick to religiously.

    So today I weighed myself to see my weight has hardly budged. I've lost around 1.3 inches around my waist and my legs (I admit my favorite part to workout) have definitely toned up as have my glutes. My face is slimmer and my arms have become a bit defined. But the number on the scale is discouraging me. I know I can get it much lower but I don't want to go down that unhealthy spiral again. I like my regime, I like taking it slow, and I've noticed the time has given me a chance to develop a palate for healthy foods where I hardly need/have a cheat day more than once every two months!

    It's just with my past body dysmorphia, I'm not sure if I really am going in the right direction or I'm delusional and haven't lost anything. Should I make changes? My goals include losing weight + toning up. I want to be fit and healthy.

    I know this was a bit long but I truly appreciate any input.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Above average Junsuiakai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2016
    Location: Poland
    Age: 33
    Posts: 5,190
    Rep Power: 20794
    Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Junsuiakai is offline
    Scale numbers are meaningless, you lost inches off your waist, 100% indicator of fat loss.

    You feel better ect, these are the things you need to focus on.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Caffeine and Protein okayest's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2016
    Posts: 1,929
    Rep Power: 17103
    okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    okayest is offline
    Find a therapist that deals with eating disorders and body dysmorphia. We cannot get you to the right mindset.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    Scale numbers are meaningless, you lost inches off your waist, 100% indicator of fat loss.

    You feel better ect, these are the things you need to focus on.
    Thank you for your reply, I will definitely now focus more on inches (lost) as a better indicator
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by okayest View Post
    Find a therapist that deals with eating disorders and body dysmorphia. We cannot get you to the right mindset.
    I am not asking for anyone here to "get me to the right mindset". I'm asking for constructive advice on my current program, with what I've written on my past experience to be taken into consideration.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User klute77's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Age: 41
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    klute77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    klute77 is offline
    Hi I am in a similer position to you and just posted about recently changing my mindset about weight loss. I've done the same as you lost weight in a crazy unhealthy way with all kinds of issues with food and body image and its hard when you get good feedback for doing something ultimately damaging to your body. I agree with the other posters that you have to focus on the changes you do see rather than on the scale because doing weight loss right means the scale goes down slower but its healthier. So take progress pics every months and your measurements to give you multiple ways to guage your success rather than focusing on the scale and read up on TDEE and Body Recomposition if you haven't already as researching those really opened my eyes to how to do this sustainably.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Caffeine and Protein okayest's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2016
    Posts: 1,929
    Rep Power: 17103
    okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    okayest is offline
    Originally Posted by oneyearofluck View Post
    I am not asking for anyone here to "get me to the right mindset". I'm asking for constructive advice on my current program, with what I've written on my past experience to be taken into consideration.
    You wouldn’t have to ask if you would chill your mind. You’re making the progress you want, why change? You said it yourself that it’s the scale that has sent you into doubt and making you question if you’re delusional. The scale shouldn’t have the power to override your happiness and pleasure with what you’re doing. It’s worth seeing someone. What caused you to starve and then put it back on when stress hit hasn’t gone away, it’s still there, it will surface again. Take care of it or you’ll be back in a year in the same place. This is constructive advice.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by klute77 View Post
    Hi I am in a similer position to you and just posted about recently changing my mindset about weight loss. I've done the same as you lost weight in a crazy unhealthy way with all kinds of issues with food and body image and its hard when you get good feedback for doing something ultimately damaging to your body. I agree with the other posters that you have to focus on the changes you do see rather than on the scale because doing weight loss right means the scale goes down slower but its healthier. So take progress pics every months and your measurements to give you multiple ways to guage your success rather than focusing on the scale and read up on TDEE and Body Recomposition if you haven't already as researching those really opened my eyes to how to do this sustainably.
    I'm glad that someone can relate and I will definitely have a look at your post! I'm doing that as well taking pictures and taking videos recapping of all the positives and negatives I'm encountering as I go.

    Right now my question would be if after another 3 months I don't see changes, is that a need to change? Could I have hit a plateau? I mean yes pictures and measurements will be there but I assume the scale will need to budge eventually if I'm supposedly going about it correct. I mean, is it too early to ask for a plan if that situation were to arise?

    But thank you for your response and yes I will continue to go about things the same way for now.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User cohicks's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: ON, Canada
    Age: 37
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    cohicks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cohicks is offline
    Originally Posted by oneyearofluck View Post
    I'm glad that someone can relate and I will definitely have a look at your post! I'm doing that as well taking pictures and taking videos recapping of all the positives and negatives I'm encountering as I go.

    Right now my question would be if after another 3 months I don't see changes, is that a need to change? Could I have hit a plateau? I mean yes pictures and measurements will be there but I assume the scale will need to budge eventually if I'm supposedly going about it correct. I mean, is it too early to ask for a plan if that situation were to arise?

    But thank you for your response and yes I will continue to go about things the same way for now.
    It sounds like you are doing a fair amount of strength training....which is great! It is possible that your body is recomposing itself and burning fat while gaining muscle. Especially if you are a "noob", which is seems like you are. I think you are totally on the right track. Losing more than an inch while not losing weight proves that you have lost fat and gained muscle. That is exactly what you should want.

    If you want to lose more fat, try upping your protein intake and lowering your carbs. This will help maintain muscle while you strength train, and it will burn a few more calories through the thermal effect of food (more calories to process protein than other macros). Hopefully you can then lose only fat and keep or even gain muscle at the same time.

    If you feel it things moving fast enough, then you should decrease calories or exercise more. But honestly....this is a marathon and you should be less focused on how long it takes you to get to your goal and more focused on embracing your new lifestyle. If it takes longer than you originally thought, it doesn't really matter. If this is a truly a new lifestyle for you, then you will eventually meet your goals and probably surpass them.

    Sounds like you are making very good progress already.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 66
    Posts: 14,588
    Rep Power: 68517
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is online now
    Waist measurement at the Navel is the best gauge of fatloss. The scale has way too many variables. Just take the part of your body around the midsection where you store the most fat and keep detailed measurements and that will tell you how you're doing. The average is about 5-7 lbs of fatloss for every 1 inch of reduction on that measurement
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    ComeAtMeBrah Joeydiesel7's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Location: North Palm Beach, Florida, United States
    Age: 26
    Posts: 88
    Rep Power: 149
    Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joeydiesel7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Joeydiesel7 is offline
    Pics??
    "The shadows betray you because they belong to me"

    Forever mirin
    Zyzz son of zeus
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by cohicks View Post
    It sounds like you are doing a fair amount of strength training....which is great! It is possible that your body is recomposing itself and burning fat while gaining muscle. Especially if you are a "noob", which is seems like you are. I think you are totally on the right track. Losing more than an inch while not losing weight proves that you have lost fat and gained muscle. That is exactly what you should want.

    If you want to lose more fat, try upping your protein intake and lowering your carbs. This will help maintain muscle while you strength train, and it will burn a few more calories through the thermal effect of food (more calories to process protein than other macros). Hopefully you can then lose only fat and keep or even gain muscle at the same time.

    If you feel it things moving fast enough, then you should decrease calories or exercise more. But honestly....this is a marathon and you should be less focused on how long it takes you to get to your goal and more focused on embracing your new lifestyle. If it takes longer than you originally thought, it doesn't really matter. If this is a truly a new lifestyle for you, then you will eventually meet your goals and probably surpass them.

    Sounds like you are making very good progress already.
    Thank you so much! I actually would be willing to bump up my protein intake but I'm not sure how to do so. For example, for breakfast I'd usually have a small bowl of cereal/oatmeal and throughout the day maybe one fruit and a pack of wheat crackers (with peanut butter spread). Dinner I can control since I usually have lots of baked chicken with vegetables, but I don't know what protein substitutes I can have for the others. Do you have any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Waist measurement at the Navel is the best gauge of fatloss. The scale has way too many variables. Just take the part of your body around the midsection where you store the most fat and keep detailed measurements and that will tell you how you're doing. The average is about 5-7 lbs of fatloss for every 1 inch of reduction on that measurement
    Thank you! How often would you recommend I take measurements (e. g. Daily?) and how soon can I expect to see results through these measurements that doesn't indicate too fast or too slow of a progres?
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by Joeydiesel7 View Post
    Pics??
    Not comfortable with having my pics online, sorry. But I'm sure they would've been the best reference source for most of you to advise me through.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User dmmx3's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Maryland, United States
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3 dmmx3
    dmmx3 is offline
    Daily measurements will lead to frustration. If you lose an inch a month that would be significant, but you can't see that daily and the you will only notice the inaccuracies of the measurement.

    I'd suggest monthly is about right, but if you want to do it more perhaps every other week.

    Great work so far and good luck.
    DMM
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User cohicks's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: ON, Canada
    Age: 37
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    cohicks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cohicks is offline
    Originally Posted by oneyearofluck View Post
    Thank you so much! I actually would be willing to bump up my protein intake but I'm not sure how to do so. For example, for breakfast I'd usually have a small bowl of cereal/oatmeal and throughout the day maybe one fruit and a pack of wheat crackers (with peanut butter spread). Dinner I can control since I usually have lots of baked chicken with vegetables, but I don't know what protein substitutes I can have for the others. Do you have any suggestions?
    Get a high quality whey protein powder. Most people can only hit their protein goals by supplementing whey protein into their diets. I also eat oatmeal many mornings. What I do is make a batch of plain steel cut oats, and then I mix in a few scoops of protein powder (usually vanilla), add some cinnamon and top it off with 12 almonds. I weight them out in individual containers and then freeze them. All I have to do is take them out the night before and then microwave in the morning. It tastes great.
    If you have a sweet tooth, go get a box of protein bars. Quest or the Kirkland (Costco) brands have lots of fiber which basically gives you less net carbs you are eating. You won't mistake these for a Snickers, but they are pretty good and after a while you won't know the difference. I have one almost every afternoon.

    Just by adding those two things a day, you are probably adding 50 grams of protein.
    Also, take bigger portions of meat and veggies with dinner and just have a small amount of rice or potato or whatever your starch is. I am talking like 60 to 100 grams of starch with dinner, the rest should be carbs from veggies and a lean meat like chicken breast, fish, lean beef.

    Trust me, by eating that much protein, you won't feel as hungry and you will probably eat less. Just make sure to try to keep your fiber intake high (just to keep things moving, if you know what I mean). If you have trouble with fiber, go get a fiber powder that you can add to your protein shake.

    And of course, keep your calories at or below your goal. Weight all your food so you know how much you are putting in your body and keep exercising. Estimating food amounts almost always leads to over eating.
    Hopefully that helps!
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 66
    Posts: 14,588
    Rep Power: 68517
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is online now
    Originally Posted by oneyearofluck View Post
    Thank you! How often would you recommend I take measurements (e. g. Daily?) and how soon can I expect to see results through these measurements that doesn't indicate too fast or too slow of a progres?
    Every 2 weeks on the same day at the same time. If you see about 1\2 inch every 4 weeks or so that's decent progress
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Every 2 weeks on the same day at the same time. If you see about 1\2 inch every 4 weeks or so that's decent progress
    Will do. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User oneyearofluck's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    oneyearofluck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oneyearofluck is offline
    Originally Posted by cohicks View Post
    Get a high quality whey protein powder. Most people can only hit their protein goals by supplementing whey protein into their diets. I also eat oatmeal many mornings. What I do is make a batch of plain steel cut oats, and then I mix in a few scoops of protein powder (usually vanilla), add some cinnamon and top it off with 12 almonds. I weight them out in individual containers and then freeze them. All I have to do is take them out the night before and then microwave in the morning. It tastes great.
    If you have a sweet tooth, go get a box of protein bars. Quest or the Kirkland (Costco) brands have lots of fiber which basically gives you less net carbs you are eating. You won't mistake these for a Snickers, but they are pretty good and after a while you won't know the difference. I have one almost every afternoon.

    Just by adding those two things a day, you are probably adding 50 grams of protein.
    Also, take bigger portions of meat and veggies with dinner and just have a small amount of rice or potato or whatever your starch is. I am talking like 60 to 100 grams of starch with dinner, the rest should be carbs from veggies and a lean meat like chicken breast, fish, lean beef.

    Trust me, by eating that much protein, you won't feel as hungry and you will probably eat less. Just make sure to try to keep your fiber intake high (just to keep things moving, if you know what I mean). If you have trouble with fiber, go get a fiber powder that you can add to your protein shake.

    And of course, keep your calories at or below your goal. Weight all your food so you know how much you are putting in your body and keep exercising. Estimating food amounts almost always leads to over eating.
    Hopefully that helps!
    Thank you for your advice. Honestly that sounds amazing and your diet seems clean and filling. I actually looked up the protein whey with my mind set on buying it but I came across a number of different brands + this stuff is not cheap at all.

    How can I make a smart first choice without risking blowing off a lot of money?
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts