Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New sustainable lifestyle/fat loss log

Hi,

I was toying with the idea of posting on here for a couple of weeks now but I've decided to finally bite the bullet. I aim to update this log once a week and post monthly photos to keep track of progression.

Measurements:

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 215lbs (as of 19/02/18)

Macros:

2000 calories (500 deficit)
    175-200g protein
    170g carbs
    70-80g fats

Abit of a background...

I've been in and out of the gym during various periods of the last 9 years without really knowing what I was actually doing for most of it. My body has always fluctuated between skinny and then a bit of fat. I've only took the gym seriously and done my research 3 times for spells of a few months at a time. I always ended up giving it up through injury or lack of motivation.

Last September I unexpectedly quit my graduate job after being fed up of my 65-70 hour weeks and poor eating habit as a result. I have been in a long distance relationship since April last year and I decided to go travelling with my GF till Jan when I know the next round of grad jobs open up.

After 4 months of travelling and living the high life eating out every day and drinking alot my body is in the worst shape it's ever been. I didn't quite realise how bad it was until I saw a photo of me swimming and couldn't tell if it was me due to the sheer size of the gut. It has affected my body confidence because I didn't ever feel comfortable taking my top off outside the bedroom whilst on my travels.

Now, since I've returned i'm searching for job and in the assessment stages and I figured I might not ever have the free time again to start a routine. I really did my research and learnt a ton from this forum so I've decided to commit to a sustainable lifestyle change (why can't they just teach us nutrition properly in school?!).

So for my goals....

My ultimate aim to lose body fat and get down to about 15%. My lifestyle goals are not to become "boring" for the sake of working out but master the art of moderation. I have a few friends in great shape who are socially active and yet eat what they want within reason so I know it's all about discipline but knowing when to let loose every now and then.
    As a person I'm a slight perfectionist and tend to only deal with extremes. In the past I've done clean eating to the point where I didn't eat any junk whatsoever and if for whatever reason I did it would demoralise me and believe that the wheels have come off.
    I want to follow a routine where I work out a few times a week, maintain a decent diet which isn't completely time consuming and sustainable around a work.

I decided to start Allpro's beginners routine on 19/02/18 because after combing through the forum it seemed to be highly recommended especially on a cut.
    When I first started the programme I did the 'test' day to find my 10 rep max. I don't know whether its through inactivity but early on in the session my lower back was extremely achey and I burned out pretty quickly. Therefore since my body as begun to adjust to working out my initial starting weights were extremely low and I've been tweaking it slightly each workout but not really reducing the weight as I should.

I'm fairly happy that my current weights reflect the programme guideline so from tomorrow I want to follow the programme to the letter and drop the weight as instructed.
    What I am happy yet frustrated about is that by starting on lighter weight its the first time I can truly focus on my form. I've had a wrist injury in the past which I believe was from poor form so I understand the importance of this. The frustrating part is that by lifting light I never feel the stability (a different kind) that I used to.

So my current lifts in kg are:

Squat - 35
    Bench - 40
    Bent over rows - 35
    Overhead press - 22.5
    SLDL - 42.5
    Curls (EZ Bar) - 15

**Figures above are based on assuming Olympic bar = 25kg. I'm not actually sure I asked somebody once and they said they thought it was that.

*Assuming EZ bar weights 7.5kg? Not sure with this just guessing.

As I've been at this for almost two week I do have a few concerns and questions.

My only concern at the moment is that the 3 days a week seem too easy. I did read this in the plan and I don't want to deviate. In the first week I had real bad DOMS but now I don't really seem to get any soreness.

Q. I tried doing calf raises with dumbells but it was hurting the sole of my feet trying to balance on a small platform so I switched to the leg press machine (not the one where you're feet are elevated higher but when your feet start at the bottom). Is this sufficient?

Q. Allpro's say that Upright rows are better than curls. I hate doing curls cause I feel like a **** but I read that upright rows are dangerous on the shoulders. I was thinking about maybe giving them a try but I just don't know if its worth the risk?

I'll post updated weight and photos tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bees187; 03-05-2018 at 08:31 AM.

GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Most bars you see in the gym are 20kg.

Beyond that, training is just like earning your Master's, it's a grind. Set your mind to the task and decide which route will be best to achieve your goals.

Good luck; I'll be following along!
    What did the water say to the boat?

Nothing, it just waved. :)

StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10) StayOffMuhSht is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bees187 View Post
    Hi,
    Q. I tried doing calf raises with dumbells but it was hurting the sole of my feet trying to balance on a small platform so I switched to the leg press machine (not the one where you're feet are elevated higher but when your feet start at the bottom). Is this sufficient?

Q. Allpro's say that Upright rows are better than curls. I hate doing curls cause I feel like a **** but I read that upright rows are dangerous on the shoulders. I was thinking about maybe giving them a try but I just don't know if its worth the risk?

Calf muscles are like any other muscle, can be hit from different angles. Think what you're doing the majority of the day (standing/moving). Try this: just stand up and do a body weight calf raise. Then think how doing one on the leg press machine feels. Quite different. While I think calf presses on the leg press machine have their place, theres a reason why standing/sitting are the most common.

Semi confused on the 2nd question. Upright rows=shoulder exercise. Curls=biceps. Just on face I dont see how upright rows are better than curls for biceps. Stand up and curl a milk jug. now upright row it. works different muscles. I think a lot of exercises can be dangerous if not done properly. Upright rows for instance, you dont need to row high as the damn sky, or you could start getting some impingement type issues.

For what its worth, I do upright rows 3 sets of 10 with a medium grip. I also do versions of curls on arm day.

Keep asking questions man. I have a log going myself.

Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bees187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StayOffMuhSht View Post
    Semi confused on the 2nd question. Upright rows=shoulder exercise. Curls=biceps. Just on face I dont see how upright rows are better than curls for biceps. Stand up and curl a milk jug. now upright row it. works different muscles. I think a lot of exercises can be dangerous if not done properly. Upright rows for instance, you dont need to row high as the damn sky, or you could start getting some impingement type issues.
    I'm not entirely sure it is mentioned in Allpros FAQ guide that the upright rows are better for balance (not necessarily hitting just biceps). I'm presuming you've never had any trouble doing upright rows? I think I'm gonna give it a shot in today's workout and see how I get on.

Done a quick weigh in this morning and down to 211lbs (-4) which is about on track for where I wanna be.

Forgot to mention in my OP that I got my BF % taken at the gym with this new equipment and i'm 28.5%.

Uploaded the photos I took when I first started 2 weeks ago today. As you can see the fat seems to fall all on my belly and pecs whilst my legs have always been fairly skinny. I will post progress pictures in 2 weeks time but I don't expect any sort of transformation until a few months in.

Thankyou for your thoughts so far. I'll be sure to drop by your logs!
    Attached Images

GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50) GirthRogers will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Finished my last workout of the week so just a little update. Relatively happy with my squat form, I've made really good progress on my bench form (I genuinely think I haven't been benching right for years) cause it's the first time I can actually feel my chest pushing the weights and not just my arms.

I found out today that my SLDL form was actually wrong. Abit of a confusing one cause if you google/youtube a SLDL every single technique is different. I think I've been doing a sort of hybrid RDL. I could never feel the burn in my hamstrings and after I tried a different approach today I could feel less burn in my lower back and the tension in my hamstrings.

I tried doing upright rows and for the first two sessions had abit of an issue with my wrists. I gave it one more go today after I noticed I wasn't sticking my thumb out on the bar for a kind of support and it was fine. I think I will persevere with it cause I can really feel it working my shoulders.

I've started incorporating ab work on my non heavy days and occasional day off. I do at some point want to stick some cardio in on my days off but I wanted to adapt to the programme first.

Thanks for the advice on the calf raises, I stopped using the machine cause I've found its much better using weighted plates in each hand and doing them on a slightly elevated platform. I've had serious DOM's there the past 2 days and I love that feeling knowing I've worked them properly.

My diet's been okay and I'm drinking a ton of water naturally. I had to eat out for my evening meal the past 2 nights but I chose healthy options and left enough macros in my daytime meals to account for it.
    I consistently eat over 200g of protein so that's really no trouble. My carbs intake is around 120-150 which is a little low and I will try to have a look how I can get some more in.
    The only real trouble I've noticed is fats. I seem to consistently only manage 40g a day. I log exact quantities of oils etc but I reckon it will be slightly higher than that.

All in all I'm quite pleased with my progress so far and i'm learning new things and happy with the food i'm eating so I can't complain!

Today marked the start of my 4th week working out. I went out drinking on Saturday and it's the first time I'd had a drink in like a month. My mates were out early doors so I showed some restraint by going out later in the evening.
    I don't know if its the right approach but I only ate 1000 cal before going out then stuck to strictly whiskey as opposed to pints.
    Apparently there's like 70 cal per shot so I limited myself to 22 shots so I'd just hit my maintenance figure.
    My diet wasn't the greatest on the Sunday. I got the right calorie intake but my macros were poor compared to usual standard.

Anyway, I woke up today ready to right the wrongs and I just felt weak and sick in the gym. I managed to do my full workout but I failed on the final 8th rep of bent over rows (which should not be happening this early on in the programme when I'm lifting light). I genuinely thought I might pass out at one point and I presumed that the poor weekend diet had taken its toll. Well ever since I got home I've gone downhill and I've got a serious case of flu.

My priority now is to just take it easy tomorrow and get plenty of fluids then smash the gym on Wednesday as long as I'm still breathing.

Weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 210lbs (-5). Only lost a lb this week but its to be expected with me going out at the weekend. I think being allowed to let loose every now and then is part of sustainability so I've tried not to dwell on it. I should be sober now for another month then I'm going on a 4 day stag which is the real test.

Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000) Tigress84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    22 shots? Holy F. S.! :O Half of that would put me in a coma, especially during cutting. How much is in one shot, I'm counting 4 cl, which makes this nearly a full liter of whisky, is this correct? Just curious.
    Anyway, that was just me flabbergasted, good job, keep it up! You will get used to this lifestyle in no time, and after the routine builds up, it will go smoothly.
    “Fight one more round. When your feet are so tired that you have to shuffle back to the centre of the ring, fight one more round. When your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard, fight one more round. When your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired you wish your opponent would crack you one on the jaw and put you to sleep, fight one more round – remembering that the man who always fights one more round is never whipped.”

― James Corbett

kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevin7117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How was your water intake during the weekend? 22 shots is quite a bit!

I drunk a ton of water, even more than I usually would during the day cause I knew I'd be drinking. I'd estimate around 8-9 pints which is 4-5 litres.

In the UK our shots are more commonly 25ml and on occasion 35ml which varies from bar to bar.

Still feel pretty bad today but luckily I prepared food in bulk over the weekend so I don't really need to worry about my diet. I'm hoping it passes soon cause next week is my first 'Test week' in the programme which means after it I can add some weight to my workouts and they should be more challenging.

Finished my last workout of the week so almost been at it a month now. I've been terribly ill this week with a sinus infection but despite being pretty much bedridden I did get all my workouts done in full. My diet has been very good this week aswell thanks to some bulk cooking I did before.

I think the main purpose of this log apart from accountability is to provide a platform for reflection. Reflecting over the past month I've been happy with my diet and I am starting to gain a better understanding and consistent form. I have found it pretty 'easy' so far in the fact that I'm doing Allpro's which is only 3 days a week. It has been extremely hard to not do an extra session but I want to atleast give it a fair run and follow it step by step. On the other hand, the 3 workout weeks are easily sustainable and it's not consuming my life.

I am very much looking forward to the next cycle because that's where the real progress will start. I knew before I got into this plan that the first 5 weeks are fairly easy but after that the intensity increases.

Now with that being said I am not too happy with my bent over row form. I don't know why but I genuinely can't really feel it working anything, and I suspect my form is poor as I get ache in my lower back sometimes. I also when squatting seem to get a twinge my left groin, but this only seems to bother me when I'm doing the warmup sets and seems to disappear with the work sets.
    Whilst I am happy with my diet, I would like to add more variation just because I know over time things will start to get boring.

So far I have overnight protein oats or protein pancakes depending how I feel. For lunch it's either scrambled egg on wholemeal toast/in wholemeal tortilla wrap, or some form of chicken/veg/sweet potato. And dinner is chicken and brown rice/sweet potato/wholemeal noodles, or sweet potato lean mince shepherds pie. I do add other meals but generally they are my go to. And I usually eat an apple or banana everyday, and then a protein shake before bed if I need the extra calories.

Looking into the future, the biggest obstacle I can see is a stag do I go on in a few weeks. It's gonna be 4 days of heavy drinking and I don't wanna let the boys down and be boring. But I also don't want to undo everything I've put in so far.

On Monday I will ask my gym to get the latest body calculations and weight to measure any progress. And I will upload progress photos. I don't particularly think much will have happened in the space of a month as its a long process but its all about logging my journey.

- 4 WEEK UPDATE -

Didn't have time to post yesterday but I managed to take photos and get measurements from the gym. However, upon getting measurements from the gym using the same equipment as before (it's actually very new and expensive equipment) the results seem a little *too* good to be true so I am taking the overall result with a pinch of salt, however, I do think I'm making progress.

So the measurements and different since I started are below:

Body fat %: 24% (-4.5) ????
    Weight: 208lbs (-7) *

My workout yesterday was the start of week 5 which is test week on the AllPro's plan. I completed my heavy day and it's starting to get real tough which I do enjoy. All being well the rest of the week and I can add 10% to my weights for my next cycle which I'm excited for.
    I corrected my bent over row form in my latest workout and feel much more confident I'm doing it right.

On Sunday I had a craving for something sweet for the first time this month (I genuinely haven't touched any sweets/chocolate/crisps etc and I haven't craved them). So i figured that if I'm going to eat a treat I should try making it a healthier version, so I made protein brownies. Yeah it's nowhere near as good as the same thing but it fits in with my macros perfectly and it satisfied my craving. I have loads left over actually so I will continue to use them until they go off if it's convenient with my diet.
    Attached Images

Just finished my last workout of the week. This was my test week which meant that I was in the 12 rep range and as long as I completed every set I can add a minimum of 10% on to my weights. I smashed through this week and I'm now looking forward to progressing through the weight which should bring better results.

I think these first 5 weeks have been a brilliant learning curve by focusing entirely on form. I am constantly analysing my workouts to ensure that I'm doing things right and overall I am very happy. I always seem to focus on one lift inparticular and this week its the SLDL. I do find it very hard to maintain that tightness in my hamstrings and utilise them combined with my lower back.

I really don't have any troubles with my diet, but my social life is pretty dead midweek so I don't have any temptations. I enjoy cooking and I found an amazing thai beef basil recipe that I've added so I will continue to lookout to new dishes I can use to provide some variation and keep things interesting.

I will weigh myself again on Monday to check the weekly progress. I have been wondering how often/long should I be recalculating my BMR etc?

So I added 10-15% weight across the board as I entered my 2nd cycle of Allpro's yesterday, and was happy with the workout. I actually felt like I could do more which is frustrating but I don't wanna diverge from the plan as it definitely does get taxing as it goes on. My diets been relatively good, when I am at home my diets great but the past two days I've had no choice but to eat out but I stuck to something I thought was relatively healthy (roasted chicken & sweet potato/veg & chicken stir fry). In the past I would have got a burger with a ton of ketchup/sauce and probably chucked in the odd pint but I guess it's the sacrifice you make.
    I don't know if it's the wrong mentality but I really don't want to have "cheat days" at this stage as I want to keep moving forward. When I get to a body composition I really like then I will happily ease up alittle every now and then and indulge cause I know it won't have that much of a negative effect.

Weighed myself Monday morning and I'm down to 206lbs (-9lbs). As you can see by now I consistently lose 2lbs a week (only -1lbs the week I went out drinking). I hope I can keep this up, however, next week I go abroad on a stag do which will be a huge test as it's pretty much damage limitation.
    Happy with the progress so far although body composition wise a long way to go.

Another week of training done! Really starting to enjoy the process as I feel much more confident about my lifts. Starting on low weights is the best thing I've ever done in it gym cause I've been able to focus purely on form and build from there. Looking back my form was s*** back when I used to lift much heavier weights and I can't wait to build up and keep progressing.

Diet wise, this week been mixed. Generally speaking my diet is great, but I've had too many meals out and yesterday was poor cause I ate out again and had a couple of pints at the football. I still tracked my calories and I hit my usual target just my macros were terrible.
    On the plus side I found Sweet Freedom Choc Shot, and at 13 cal per tsp I've never looked forward to my morning protein pancakes as much!!
    I will nail my diet now for the next week and go hard in the gym before abit of a break.

Last training session this week as I go away tomorrow until late Sunday. Quite happy with where I'm at currently. I didn't manage to weigh myself on Monday as I've been so busy. Weighed myself today (but not first thing in a morning - about 3 hours after a meal) and I was 205lbs.

My main focus now is enjoying myself on holiday but trying to throw some body exercises and cardio to help offset the whiskey and beer!!
    When I get back I will be going hard on my diet and workouts, and look to add more cardio into my week. I've already prepped and frozen some meals for when I get back so I should get straight back into the swing once I return.

After returning very broken I'm now back into the swing of everything again. Diet has been okay since yesterday and now I want to really nail the rest of the week and put everything behind me. I haven't really weighed myself since I got home as I am scared to see the damage, yet I don't quite think it will tell the full story?

Anyways, this is now my 8th week so I will be posting updated progress pictures next Monday along with the latest body measurements etc.

One thing I'm starting to notice is that when doing SLDL my right (predominant) leg feels the burn/stretch with almost little to nothing in my weakest left leg. I'm not aware of any imbalances in terms of one leg longer than the other so I'm not really sure how to proceed with this.

Finished my final workout of the week. It was hard at the start of the week but I feel now like I am ending on a high. Had a great session just now and I'm already looking forward to popping the weight up. To 'punish' myself this week I made sure my 3 main lifts were all heavy day equivalent which goes against what Allpro says. I'm glad for it and next week I'll go back to normality as I'm sure the increased reps will catch up with me.

This nextcoming Monday will mark 2 months since I started out in this workout/lifestyle change. I will upload updated photos and get my body measurements taken in the gym on Monday to record my progress.

***2 MONTH UPDATE***

So yesterday was the start of my 9th week since I began working out. I feel good in the gym with my lifts. I talked in my previous post about how I felt more burn and stretch in my predominant right hamstring when doing SLDL. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured it out. On Monday my right ham was very tight/sore but I still cannot figure out what the cause is.
    I actually checked this against my squat and noticed my right leg is the more predominant. However, my last workout I found it easy to put emphasis on my left and make sure I'm pushing through my heel which corrected the balance.

Anyways, here are my 2 month measurements:

Weight: 205lbs (-10lbs) - Stalled here. Was the same weight 2 weeks ago.
    Body fat: 25.2%

Right, so basically I stalled in weight which I have no doubt was due to my 4 day drinking binge on holiday. It also wrote me off for good 4-5 after both mentally and physically, which contributed to a less stricter diet (I did complete all my workouts though).

In terms of body fat %. Its actually gone up a couple of percent since my last measurements were taken. At the time I questioned the results as I felt like it seemed far too good to be true or realistic. However, the first months measurements were taken post-workout, which no doubt affected the validity of them.
    I'm happy though cause I can notice some small changes in body comp and if i'm at 25% now I've lost 3% in 2 months (with a serious binge chucked in).

See attached for latest pics. I took them after a meal so slightly bloated, but I added one breathing in for effect haha.

Finally, moving forward I'm wondering whether to reassess my TDEE and drop my calorie intake slightly as I don't want to stall. I'm also wondering whether to cut carbs slightly or should I keep going as I am (decent amount of carbs 3 meals a day). Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images

Started my third cycle of AllPro's today which means I'm 10 week in now. Very happy with how my body transitions to the higher weight and I feel like each workout is challenging.

I've not updated for 2 week now cause I've been very busy, however, the last two weeks I've got my workouts in and for 80% of the time my diet is perfect. However, I've had to travel quite abit recently and attend a couple of different events which has involved drinking. Putting that aside, I've no events or activities to attend and so May should pass by alcohol free and I can continue to progress.

I didn't manage to get my latest weight but I will update with that tomorrow.

So this morning I weighed myself and surprisingly I'm down to 201lbs. (-14lbs - or known as 1 stone here in the UK). I got offered an amazing job today and cannot wait to get started! As I'm working part time and have 4 months before I start, this means I can go and live with my girlfriend until the job! Great news for me, however, I don't want to relapse to old habits and so I'm even more focused now as I can see the potential 'risks'.

So, the goalposts have changed slightly. My log is about building a sustainable lifestyle and building (eventually maintaining) a composition I am happy with. This will always continue, but for now I am looking for fast results. As it seems likely that I will be here for atleast the next month, I would like to use this month to go 'hard' with a emphasis on quick results. Yes I already push myself in the gym, but what I mean is incorporating HIIT, maybe changing up my workout slightly?, etc. I don't mind going extreme on my diet for 1 month, such as low carb etc.

Now I know this part isn't sustainable, hence why it's only a short team implementation. I really would appreciate any advice regarding this.

Another week passed. So I ate absolutely perfect all week, got all my workouts with added HIT on days off and then went out Sunday and got bladdered. We've been having a heatwave here in the UK and it's hardwired in us that when the suns out we have to get drunk.
    I actually turned my friends down at first when they asked but with my new job I'll be moving to the other side of the country, and with me going away in less than a month, I won't see my friends as often so I felt I owed it to them.

So the changes I've made since my last post is low carb/high fat diet on my days off. On my days off after my medium and light days I do sprints/HIT full body workout. It's absolutely gruelling but I'm trying to shock my body. I haven't noticed any bad effects on my weight days yet so I'll keep at it.

After this week is complete it will have been 12 weeks since I started this journey so I will post up updated photos and latest measurements.

***3 MONTH UPDATE***

Since I last posted I've cut my carbs everyday, but quite abit on my "rest days". And on my rest days I try to get plenty of fats in. I've also been doing HIT sprints and full body HIT workouts so my week looks like this:

Mon - Heavy day - GYM
    Tues - Rest / abs
    Wed - Medium day - GYM
    Thurs - HIT Sprints / abs
    Friday - Light day - Gym
    Sat - HIT Full body workout
    Sun - Rest / Abs

Very happy with my diet over the past 2 weeks and I know that if I continue in this form results will come.

See attached for latest photos. I probably should do a side by side from when I first started but I haven't got time to do it atm.

Latest measurements are:

Weight: 197bs (-18lbs)
    BF: 23% (-5.5%)

As you can see from the above, I'm back on track and regularly lose 2lbs a week. Reflecting on my progress over the last 3 months, it's been steady and I'm very happy. I have beaten old habits and completely overhauled my mindset. I can now indulge if I want in moderation, or have nights out, and not be completely demotivated after and thrown off track. I simply chalk it off as a bad day and move on.

It's worth mentioning in those 3 months, I've had 2 stag do's, one of which was 4 days of non-stop drinking. I've also been on my fair share of nights out and meals with friends. I've no doubt I would be better off now without them, but then where's the fun in that?

I genuinely believe my current habits are a strong basis for a healthy and more importantly, sustainable lifestyle. I have roughly 2 more weeks before I leave the country (and unfortunately my amazing gym) so I recognise the challenge ahead. I will find another gym, I will continue to eat well and my only downside will be alcohol. I hope to put in a shift at the gym everyweek and do some HIT to help balance it off. I realise my progress will slow as a result but its a one off couple month period before I start my new job which I want to make the most of.
    Attached Images

So it's been roughly six weeks since my last update. I decided to take a break from the log (but still doing all my workouts etc) since I temporarily moved country mainly due to the fact that I wanted to enjoy myself out here with my GF and not be super strict on my diet. I have still from time to time been checking in and viewing some of the current logs which has been a motivational tool.

However, I've come to realise that I am falling into bad habits in terms of general laziness (GF works during the day so I'd sleep abit longer or watch Netflix etc) and I absolutely want to be productive in my self development as a whole. One thing I've realised is that in past I always thought I was talking to myself on here, but its such a good platform for self reflection that it doesn't matter if I get any engagement or support, just by going through the thought process with each update is a way to hone my focus.

My diet since I've been out here the past month has been mixed. Firstly, I don't have any food weighing scales which isn't ideal so I'm estimating my quantities based on my previous experience. However, I'm pretty sure that 95% of the time I am around my 1900-2000 target. And roughly 70% of the time the food I am consuming is healthy and good quality, however, 30% is rubbish (marinaded meats which definitely use sugar etc, white rice, regular tortilla wraps).
    And then as I have made a large network of friends from my previous time spent here, everybody sees my stay as a short trip so I'm constantly being asked to go drinking etc. I'd say I've had about 8-9 drinking sessions, a few of which quite heavy. My tactic so far has been to obviously count my drinks and eat less, then fast the next day until the evening where I consume food but keep it a large deficit.

So that's my diet covered, now to talk about the gym. I've made all but one of my workouts this past month and actually added in more cardio than I was ever doing before (usually weekends and inbetween my medium-light day). And as I'm staying on the 38th floor of a high rise condo I've been taking the stairs from the 9th after every workout up until now. I say up until now cause after constant cardio and steps I developed 'Plantar Fasciitis' which left me in real pain even putting the slightest pressure on my feet. This caused me to miss a workout.

Now for anybody who has read my log so far, you will know I am doing Allpro's programme. This week was the first time I failed to do the required reps since I started. It is worth noting that I haven't been following Allpros to the exact letter as I tend to lift heavier than I should on my medium with certain lifts. It was my heavy day and no coincidence after a evening of drinking and poor diet. I can really tell when my diets not been good, that it really starts to affect my workout. I even get like a nervousness before certain lifts and feeling of almost shaking and instability on a small level.

In the past I've not given a damn about the weights I'm moving, as I'm in deficit and the aim is body composition not strength. However, I'm still lifting less weight than what I was shifting 4-5 years ago (albeit in a surplus) which is starting to take a negative effect. I feel like my workouts are starting to become stale as I miss that feeling of challenge by aiming for bigger weight and becoming stronger at my pace which is perhaps quicker than the programme suggests.

Despite this, for the time being I'm still going to keep to it, maybe drop the weight exactly as it says regardless of how intense I deem it and kick on. I also aim to eat much better and keep the diet clean. This includes cutting out alot of drink after tonight (I blame the world cup).

I am reviewing my lifts and constantly looking for ways to improve my form, and at some point I will upload videos for critique. My camera is busted on my phone but I will use my GF's phone to get some photos on where I'm at currently. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to weighing scales so I'm kind of blind for the next month and a half.

Originally Posted by Bees187 View Post
    My tactic so far has been to obviously count my drinks and eat less, then fast the next day until the evening where I consume food but keep it a large deficit.

I can really tell when my diets not been good, that it really starts to affect my workout. I even get like a nervousness before certain lifts and feeling of almost shaking and instability on a small level.

In the past I've not given a damn about the weights I'm moving, as I'm in deficit and the aim is body composition not strength. However, I'm still lifting less weight than what I was shifting 4-5 years ago (albeit in a surplus) which is starting to take a negative effect. I feel like my workouts are starting to become stale as I miss that feeling of challenge by aiming for bigger weight and becoming stronger at my pace which is perhaps quicker than the programme suggests.

Unfortunately, I don't have any access to weighing scales so I'm kind of blind for the next month and a half.
    1. Drinking a lot of alcohol then fasting to make up for the surplus is a poor way to compensate for the overload. You should aim to have low fat/carb and high protein days before, during, and following an alcohol binge.
    https://youtu.be/Vwn8E4juTts

2. The shaking and instability is caused by your body trying to correctly process muscle memory and access movement recall. Alcohol and dehydration are hurting the process. Plus alcohol causes a higher level of anxiety which can be directly seen when put into a higher stress situation such as a heavy lift.

3. If your workouts are becoming stale, switch your routine for two weeks, switch the days, get new music, try pre-workout, get a lifting partner, or even add more cardio. When workouts become stale, change them.

4. No scale can actually be a good thing. A failed weight loss goal can hurt motivation. Approach each day as if it's the one which will make the difference. Take some pictures of yourself today and don't look at them again for the next 50 days. After that time, take some more and compare them.

Good luck!

I did suspect that the biggest issue is alcohol and I've only myself to blame. I realise that I can hardly complain when I'm the root cause of issues. That being said I am vastly reducing my consumption/frequency and when I return home I start a new job in a new area and I want a fresh start without relying on drink as my main social life. I also plan on cranking up my focus on fitness once I return home with a much stricter diet and extra supplements.

The problem is when it comes to working out I like to follow plans, and next week is my test day so then I'd put the weight up. On a sidenote though, if I started lifting heavier but lower rep range for a couple of weeks to try and make (limited on a cut) progress is that something you reckon would work?

I forgot to add my diet has changed, I am now on a high protein/low carb/high fat diet. Looking to completely remove sugar from my diet (thinking of even ditching my daily banana). Obviously due to my circumstance and eating out abit I can't stick to this 100% but this is the goal.

I will post updated photos tomorrow, since yesterday it's been non-stop as I've been travelling around. Still a good day of diet/workout.

Thanks for the feedback though much appreciated!

Progressive overload is the most proven way to build muscle. If you want to switch to a lower rep range for the big lifts, you'll definitely make progress.

If your body is above 20% body fat, you'll easily be able to gain muscle while losing fat. There are several studies backing up that statement.

A lot of people love lower carb diets. Keto is the most famous one, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can't stay strict with it for a while. I definitely moderate my carbs, and I feel a lot more energetic because of it; so I'd recommend giving it a try. Don't worry about removing complex sugars from your diet as long as you cut out all the simple sugars. Bananas won't hurt your goals, but the extra sugar added to sauces, treats, and drinks definitely will.

You seem to be doing great, keep it up!

Yesterday's workout was the heavy day of my test week which was hard, but just about made it through! As always I'm constantly looking to improve my form. The two biggest focuses in-particular is my squat and SLDL. I've come to realise that with most exercises my breathing is holding me back. I have a tendency to hold my breath for long periods, and in the squat I start to fade after around the 5 rep range which strongly affects my form for the remaining few.
    I suspect that weak abs also play a factor in terms of stability. I think I'm gonna up my abs workout to 3x per week as opposed to the 1x currently.

Today I will dedicate a couple of hours to watch videos and read up on material that will assist myself in the gym.

England play tonight in an important World Cup game and my natural instinct is to get to the bar well before kick off and have a big drink. However, I don't think I'll ever progress if I keep drinking regularly so I'm not going to drink. Plus I feel really motivated to address my squat technique tomorrow which requires a clear mind and good diet today.

Latest photos attached (backs alittle burned!)
    Attached Images

Yesterday in the gym I worked on my squat form. I absolutely cannot believe it's taken me this long to learn basic fundamentals such as breathing. I focused heavily on breathing, and followed a process of doing one rep - steady myself - next rep - steady myself... and repeat. Basically I just took some extra time to get my breathing right instead of diving right into the next rep with poor form.

And the result, I felt like it was pretty easy work and certainly wasn't faltering on my last rep. And like any process, the more reps and practice I get then the more it becomes second nature.

Cannot wait to get back in the gym tomorrow and get some more practice!

On a side note, I started reading a book called 'Deep Nutrition' which was recommended by a friend. I've not got too far into it as of yet but it's a very interesting take on diet which I certainly haven't heard before, most importantly backed up by sound research.

Hockeyhippo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Bees!

You've got very similar numbers in terms of age/height/weight. In terms of improving your squat form have you been working on your flexibility at all? I struggled with really tight hamstrings and stretching and improving my flexibility really helped.

In terms of losing motivation, one thing that has worked for me in the past is putting into my schedule. As in these are the times you workout every day, every week, every year. This more or less eliminated the choice of going to the gym but it just becomes part of your routine.

All the best! Crush it!