fatboyslimdown is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My First 6 Weeks Of Keto

Went for a hernia surgery just before Christmas and was surprised and disgusted to learn that I weighed in at 318 lbs. I'm 5'10 38 years old. I decided that enough was enough and gave the Keto diet a shot. Week 1 was brutal. I had constant migraines, was constipated, had trouble sleeping and from day 6-10 had chest pain and tightness that scared me to the point of going to the ER for bloodwork and an EKG. After doing more research I determined that I was probably dehydrated and low on potassium and magnesium. I bought some electrolyte powder, as well as sodium and magnesium supplements and started to incorporate Avacado, Chia seeds and more spinach in my diet. After day 10 the headaches and chest pain went away. I have also been going to the gym 5 days a week consistently doing weights/20 mins eliptical. I lost 9 lbs the first week and after 30 days a total of 22lbs.

I didn't buy keto strips or anything to check if I was in ketosis but logged all my food into MFP and never went above 23 net carbs. I was, and still am eating around 1800-2200 cals per day. I incorporated IF starting week 3, fasting for 16 hours eating for 8. At this point I stopped craving carbs and sugar and didn't really feel hungry that often.

Day 32 was my Anniversary. My wife also started keto but she has a sweet tooth and could not resist eating "forbidden" foods at least once a week. After a few vodka and club sodas she managed to persuade to partake in an epic cheat meal and then another the next morning for breakfast, because why not? I gained 2 lbs which took 3 days to come off after going back to keto. Then just before week 5 the cravings came and they have not left. In the past 2 weeks I have had days where I consumed between 75 and 200 grams of carbs. I feel like an addict who keeps relapsing. I have started to feel hungry again all the time and am actually planning future cheat days in my head. I have still managed to maintain a caloric deficit even on the days I ate excess carbs. But weight lost has been at a standstill until today. I dropped 0.8 pounds

On the positive side since reintroducing carbs I am no longer constipated and my libido has returned. Just figured I'd share and welcome any comments or advice.
    -Cheers-

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is probably going to sound harsh but too bad.

You need to address with your wife the fact that she is sabotaging your attempt at extending your lifespan. That " because why not?" has a very straightforward answer, and it's because you're morbidly obese, that's why not. Some people are able to include minor cheats in their diets, but clearly you aren't one of them. And the constant addition of carbs like you are doing is what is causing the cycle of cravings. Every time you do it, you have to transition back into ketosis, which is the worst part of the diet.

You were doing great that first month, even with minimal knowledge of keto. But that "epic cheat" fūcked everything up. I'd suggest starting over, and learning as much as possible from the threads here, and also on Reddit. (Their keto boards are much more active than here). Good luck.
    Delirious Mutant.

fatboyslimdown is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    This is probably going to sound harsh but too bad.

You need to address with your wife the fact that she is sabotaging your attempt at extending your lifespan. That " because why not?" has a very straightforward answer, and it's because you're morbidly obese, that's why not. Some people are able to include minor cheats in their diets, but clearly you aren't one of them. And the constant addition of carbs like you are doing is what is causing the cycle of cravings. Every time you do it, you have to transition back into ketosis, which is the worst part of the diet.

You were doing great that first month, even with minimal knowledge of keto. But that "epic cheat" fūcked everything up. I'd suggest starting over, and learning as much as possible from the threads here, and also on Reddit. (Their keto boards are much more active than here). Good luck.
    I agree with your comments. Sometimes the truth hurts but we need to hear it. Obesity is no joke and and am quickly discovering that you need a good support system in order to overcome it.

Adude60 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fatboyslimdown View Post
    Went for a hernia surgery just before Christmas and was surprised and disgusted to learn that I weighed in at 318 lbs. I'm 5'10 38 years old. I decided that enough was enough and gave the Keto diet a shot. Week 1 was brutal. I had constant migraines, was constipated, had trouble sleeping and from day 6-10 had chest pain and tightness that scared me to the point of going to the ER for bloodwork and an EKG. After doing more research I determined that I was probably dehydrated and low on potassium and magnesium. I bought some electrolyte powder, as well as sodium and magnesium supplements and started to incorporate Avacado, Chia seeds and more spinach in my diet. After day 10 the headaches and chest pain went away. I have also been going to the gym 5 days a week consistently doing weights/20 mins eliptical. I lost 9 lbs the first week and after 30 days a total of 22lbs.

I didn't buy keto strips or anything to check if I was in ketosis but logged all my food into MFP and never went above 23 net carbs. I was, and still am eating around 1800-2200 cals per day. I incorporated IF starting week 3, fasting for 16 hours eating for 8. At this point I stopped craving carbs and sugar and didn't really feel hungry that often.

Day 32 was my Anniversary. My wife also started keto but she has a sweet tooth and could not resist eating "forbidden" foods at least once a week. After a few vodka and club sodas she managed to persuade to partake in an epic cheat meal and then another the next morning for breakfast, because why not? I gained 2 lbs which took 3 days to come off after going back to keto. Then just before week 5 the cravings came and they have not left. In the past 2 weeks I have had days where I consumed between 75 and 200 grams of carbs. I feel like an addict who keeps relapsing. I have started to feel hungry again all the time and am actually planning future cheat days in my head. I have still managed to maintain a caloric deficit even on the days I ate excess carbs. But weight lost has been at a standstill until today. I dropped 0.8 pounds

On the positive side since reintroducing carbs I am no longer constipated and my libido has returned. Just figured I'd share and welcome any comments or advice.
    -Cheers-
    My friend, it is very good to hear your story and the impact that Keto has had on your life you have far more intelligence than the majority of overweight people who choose to do nothing of their condition. While these good things are true you cannot give into cheat meals because they will bring about your fall from greatness! Keto is an amazing lifestyle and in order to reap the benefits you must keep pushing through, and try your hardest to get rid of the temptation of eating the terrible foods which you have eaten in the past. You have made an intelligent decision, and I am glad you are in the Keto family! This choice will help you, your family, and your friends for many years just keep going!! If you need any advice don't hesitate to reply!

luckyduck89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its people like you that will come out the strongest when this is all over with. Your obstacles of being overweight, and having a wife that isn't entirely in the same mindset as you, as far as Keto goes is challenging enough. On top of that, you are taking part in a diet that is cutting out all the delicious carbs that you once indulged in.

You aren't lowering your intake, you are CUTTING things permanently out, and is more drastic then a simple diet of eating less. STAY STRONG, because you'll be the type of story Keto'ers will want to hear about it.
    Well, I dont drink anymore. I freeze it now, and I eat it like a popsicle.

MG101nyc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fatboyslimdown View Post

-Cheers-
    I want to share what I do to help me feel great.
    - I drink Psyllium husks in water every morning, I poop just great.
    - I make chia pudding and that also helps me poop great.
    I bake or prepare keto desserts (I also love to bake and eat sweets), there's great recipes online for free, this helps me a lot.
    - Lastly, but most important, I have declared to my family, friends and co-workers that keto is my lifestyle, and they need to respect it. With this, I've had wonderful results, I feel great on energy, I do spin class 3-4 times a week and I also lift at the gym.

Best of luck!

HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100) HahaRaptor is not very well liked. (-100)
    Interesting note on the libido. I've noticed that when I cut carbs my libido drops as well.

cosmo3465 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HahaRaptor View Post
    Interesting note on the libido. I've noticed that when I cut carbs my libido drops as well.
    does the sperm need glucose?

mgrowe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HahaRaptor View Post
    Quite the opposite for me, the more carbs I cut, the more mojo I have.