Closed Thread
    MatzenFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Push-ups or Squats?

I was wondering what are the key differences between push-ups and squats, that would help for getting a better core that would also help towards running.
    I am a boy with a dream to continue my journey of trying to get fit.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    wut

you literally couldn't pick a combination of two exercises that are the polar opposites from each other.

push-ups work your triceps, anterior shoulders and chest for the most part

squats work your quads, glutes with some recruitment from the hamstrings

not sure what you mean by running? there's marathon training and sprint training which are both vastly different, and ofc track in field where you run different distances. If you want to get better at running you would want to have running as the focal point of your training.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Push ups are a good core movement if you keep the core tight while doing them.
    They are basically moving planks.
    The squat is a good compound movement also engaging the core keeping the upper body fairly upright using back and abs but also all of the lower body.
    If want to get better at running then run.
    Any ab /core work can help but it's only assistance work and is not the actually movement that your doing when you run.
    Depending on what kind of running your doing should also be considered.
    If your sprinting then certainly squatting could help.
    Long distance not as much.
    If i was you i would do a little more research on a running forum to see what they have to say about it.

Registered User michaelbrianinc's Avatar
    michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think squats help your core strengthen better when it comes to stabilizing weight and movement.

Both will work your core if you keep it contracted.

You can also do core work prior to those exercise to fatigue it a bit. This will make it more challenging as your core will be a bit tired. I've done that before with push-ups. Made my push-ups more challenging in terms of stabilizing my body.

As for running, you're probably concerned about posture. Just keep your chest out, shoulder blades slightly back so you're upright. You don't want to slouch. You do however want a slight forward lean to help pull you forward with momentum. I suggest learning the steps to effective running as there are a few, including breathing techniques.

Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are so many variables that go into determining an actual answer for this. The exercises are drastically different.

but because I don't want to type out a long answer.

Do both. They're bodyweight. If you only run for physical activity, you'd probably benefit a lot from resistance training in general.

Just do both.
    B. Kinesiology
    CSEP-CEP
    CSCS
    MSc (c)

SilvanaWilliams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A friend of mine who runs has told me that squats help him have more power when running, so there's that. Not being a runner, I don't really know if that is true, but they probably won't hurt.

Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen Ekaen
    Push ups work the Triceps,serratus anterior and abdominals . Squats work the legs, glutes and spinal erectors.