JerrySquazac is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation How to improve my 2 mile run without dropping too much weight?

Ive been running my 2 miles and have noticed some improvement and have incorporated long distance sprints of 60 seconds sprints and 120 seconds of rest. However i feel like i lack the speed because of my bodyweight and size, im 5ft 11inches and 210 lbs so i have some muscle on me as well. Im also 23 years old at 16 percent body fat and i also like lift weights.

How could i improve my run without dropping too much strength and size for a 2mile run, i also forgot to mention im in the reserves.

Ive met people who claimed they were heavier in size and they are slightly taller than me by an inch or two but were able to run around 13:00 mins for 2 miles, and the fastest ive been able to do is a 16:30 for a 2mile. What could i be doing wrong? I truly need some help on this.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A little bit of runningwont cause you to lose anymuscle mass, just be sure to eat properly.

You arent doing anything wrong, a 13:00 2 mile time requires serious effort and training to acheive.

JoshuaLMcCoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JerrySquazac View Post
    Ive been running my 2 miles and have noticed some improvement and have incorporated long distance sprints of 60 seconds sprints and 120 seconds of rest. However i feel like i lack the speed because of my bodyweight and size, im 5ft 11inches and 210 lbs so i have some muscle on me as well. Im also 23 years old at 16 percent body fat and i also like lift weights.

How could i improve my run without dropping too much strength and size for a 2mile run, i also forgot to mention im in the reserves.

Ive met people who claimed they were heavier in size and they are slightly taller than me by an inch or two but were able to run around 13:00 mins for 2 miles, and the fastest ive been able to do is a 16:30 for a 2mile. What could i be doing wrong? I truly need some help on this.
    I think it's important to remember the effect that muscle mass has on respiratory fitness - the more muscle mass your body has, the more oxygen your body must supply to those muscles. This causes oxygen deprivation at a quicker rate.

There is a reason that marathon runners have relatively low muscle mass, their goal is to be as efficient as possible. With that said, your goal isn't to be the best marathon runner you can be, it's to be the best football player you can be. Muscle mass is an extremely important factor in your sport. While you may not be the most efficient 2-mile runner in the world, it is certainly not out of your reach to lower your time to 13:00. You just need to strengthen your respiratory muscles like you do your bicep muscles, by working them. As DCSpartan said, with proper dieting, you won't lose any muscle mass while running. You need to make sure you're at least at caloric maintenance, and you should be fine.