Registered User teamfortress144's Avatar
    teamfortress144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question 6 weeks post inguinal hernia repair

So I had a bi-later inguinal (laproscopic) repair 6 weeks ago.
    Surgeon recommended atleast 6 weeks of rest before lifting, and said I'll be back to usual after 8 weeks (BS).

I went to physiotherapist last week as my 6 week rest period was about to be over and planned my recovery.
    Going full body with 40% or lower of the weight I used to lift and, in order to avoid straining the abdomen, to start with machines and stuff that I don't have to lift from the ground when loading the weights.
    He told me that if I feel any pain in the surgery area or groid I should stop and rest.

Today was my first workout and it was stressfull as hell, my legs feel sore because I haven't worked on them for a while.
    I feel sore in my groin area, it's like a muscle soreness in my hip adducters or just a weird feeling.. and that's stressing me out.

What kind of feeling exactly am I suppose to avoid? it's not like the pain I felt after the surgery and durring the first few weeks.
    I just don't want to cause any damage to the repair, but I do wanna feel like I am able to do something with my body :/

Anyone has any experience with recovery?

Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallman509 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had an inguinal hernia repair a few years ago (open with mesh on my left side). Soreness and even swelling around the repair site is very normal. Mine still hurts from time to time. Take it easy and avoid a lot of twisting movements--those are what tend to hurt me the most. Heavy squats, deadlifts and anything that puts a lot of stress on the area should prob be avoided for a little while also. You aren't at much risk of breaking the repair though as long as you are smart about your workouts. Let the pain guide you--if it hurts, slow down or try a different movement. Not to get you down, but it will probably never feel totally normal again. You just learn what your new normal feels like.

Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ya you will never be the same.

I personally would not squat or dead anymore knowing what i know now.

Registered User teamfortress144's Avatar
    teamfortress144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tallman509 View Post
    I had an inguinal hernia repair a few years ago (open with mesh on my left side). Soreness and even swelling around the repair site is very normal. Mine still hurts from time to time. Take it easy and avoid a lot of twisting movements--those are what tend to hurt me the most. Heavy squats, deadlifts and anything that puts a lot of stress on the area should prob be avoided for a little while also. You aren't at much risk of breaking the repair though as long as you are smart about your workouts. Let the pain guide you--if it hurts, slow down or try a different movement. Not to get you down, but it will probably never feel totally normal again. You just learn what your new normal feels like.
    Thanks for the reply man.
    I felt nothing wrong during the workout,;
    But later that day, and on saturday and sunday, without any triggers, I was feeling sharp pain inside my body on the lateral side of the ilium. (While sitting, studying etc)
    It's not very painful, but it's so sharp I can describe it as 'disabling' while it lasts, which is for about an hour or so.

I consolted some co-workers and gym buddies who have done a hernia repair and they all said it's a common thing they've all felt and that it will likely stop happening 3 months post op.
    My surgeon told me that it's common because of the mesh streching and such inside the body and that I shouldn't give much thought about it and just endure it.
    Having a checkup today just to be safe.

I'll try to update and share my experience, as I have not found many material regarding hernia repairs and getting back to the gym, so that other people who might have to go through this would know what to expect.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had a bilateral laporascopic repair 6 months ago. I went back in the gym 10 days after the operation (exercises included the ab wheel on that day) and squatted 275 11 days afer. I am back up to squatting 315 and deadlifting 380.

Follow what your surgeon says, of course. But after that don't baby yourself.