dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtyreyes is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Did something to lower back during squats - Can I still lift upper body?

Today is Wednesday. Two Fridays ago (so, it'll be two weeks in two days), I felt really tight in my lower back during my last set of squats. I finished my workout, but I probably should have stopped. I'd noticed during my last few squat sessions that I had been developing a tightness which wasn't going away until after my workout. This should have been a clue that I needed to improve my form. Specifically, I think I wasn't taking in enough air to brace my core for the squats and I was never stretching.

I got home after that workout and had to lay down. I spent most of the weekend laying down with lower back pain, and missed work on Monday. I resumed normal activity since then (using a standing desk most of the time at work because sitting for prolonged periods hurts), but for this week I've hit the gym again and modified my workouts to be just upper body stuff and leg extensions/curls (which I don't think use my back).

My back is very slowly improving, but I'm wondering if I should be skipping my workouts altogether until it's more healed. Am I hurting myself by doing exercises which I don't think involve my back? Should I just bite the bullet and fully rest for a while?

I plan to work the Limber 11 stretching routine into my workouts once I'm back to fully healed, as well as use the standing desk more to work on my tight hip flexors. For now, I've been doing the stretching about once a day because my legs and butt feel sore/tight as hell (I think I'm using them more to compensate for the back issues or something).

Thanks, bros!

aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i would still lift, but not going @ a 100% workout.

in the mean time just keep foam rolling and stretching everyday.

Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thehumancrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would continue to workout but watch it. One of the worst things to do is nothing. Gets all cold and usually hurts more.

I would do upper body that doesnt stress the low back. You could also try single leg work like split squats and step ups and probably be ok.

Walking is good.

Upper body you can do

Barbell bench variations
    Dips
    Pulldowns/pullups
    tricep extensions cable
    preacher curls

Do these for a bit they will not stress your back.

DrMarcPT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your back will keep improving with time. I think you are on the right track but I can give you some general information.

I wouldn't skip your workouts altogether because the spine loves movement. Certain exercises like deadlifts, squats, leg press, and bent over rows will put more stress on the discs and structures that cause pain in the back. The exercises should be mostly pain-free.

There are specific exercises that would help your back in this situation. It depends on a few factors and learning more about your situation.

Exercises that put the back into flexion which typically aggravate someones symptoms when they have back pain.

Do you get back pain with sitting?

Hope this helps!
    To your health,

Marc Robinson, PT, DPT, Cert. MDT
    Physical Therapist/Co-founder of Evercorelife.com