kilgoreta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

50 and can't lose fat!!!!

I'm a 50 year old male, 215 lbs. and 5'9" tall. I've been trying to lose weight (fat) and my goal is to be ~185 lbs. I'm doing cardio every morning before breakfast, typically 35-45 minutes on the treadmill inclined walking and some jogging. My typical diet looks like this...2 whole eggs and 4-6 egg whites with spinach and lean turkey for breakfast (I just eliminated the 1 cup of oatmeal for some reason), white rice and lean ground beef and steak, meal replacement shake or bar, steak and vegetables, and rice and chicken. I've been eating 4 meals a day of these combinations. I've even stopped lifting weights so that I could make sure I was losing fat and not gaining muscle. Part of the problem is that I travel for work, normally I travel for 2 weeks and home for 1. The weeks that I travel I'm gone Monday thru Thursday and try and eat healthy meals, but it's difficult as I'm sure you are aware. Am I not eating enough calories, not enough cardio???? I've been working out since I was 12 years old fairly consistently and the only time I stopped was a period of around 10 years between 36 to 47. I need some advice and am constantly confused by all the diet information out there.
    Thanks,
    Tim

d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kilgoreta View Post
    I'm a 50 year old male, 215 lbs. and 5'9" tall. I've been trying to lose weight (fat) and my goal is to be ~185 lbs. I'm doing cardio every morning before breakfast, typically 35-45 minutes on the treadmill inclined walking and some jogging. My typical diet looks like this...2 whole eggs and 4-6 egg whites with spinach and lean turkey for breakfast (I just eliminated the 1 cup of oatmeal for some reason), white rice and lean ground beef and steak, meal replacement shake or bar, steak and vegetables, and rice and chicken. I've been eating 4 meals a day of these combinations. I've even stopped lifting weights so that I could make sure I was losing fat and not gaining muscle. Part of the problem is that I travel for work, normally I travel for 2 weeks and home for 1. The weeks that I travel I'm gone Monday thru Thursday and try and eat healthy meals, but it's difficult as I'm sure you are aware. Am I not eating enough calories, not enough cardio???? I've been working out since I was 12 years old fairly consistently and the only time I stopped was a period of around 10 years between 36 to 47. I need some advice and am constantly confused by all the diet information out there.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Cardio is good for your health, but losing weight is all about calories.
    If you are not losing, you are eating too much.
    Read the stickies. Figure out your TDEE without exercise, and eat in a 4-500 calorie deficit.
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are eating too much to lose weight. You provided a lot of information but never mentioned calories.

1. Use a calculator to determine your TDEE. It doesn't matter which one you use as they are ALL estimates and you're going to use it as a starting point. Use your current weight and an activity level of moderate and leave the body fat box blank.

2. Subtract 500 from your TDEE. This is the number of calories you will eat every day for the next four weeks.

3. Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh all solid and semi solid foods and log them using good nutrition info. Measure liquids with a measuring spoon or cup and log those using good nutrition info.

4. Google "serving size chart" and look at the image results. Find one that shows how to estimate serving sizes with your hand or by comparing them to common objects (e.g., deck of cards, etc.) Bookmark the chart on your phone or print it and stick it in your wallet. Use it to estimate your serving sizes when you eat out. Log all of that food as well.

5. At the end of four weeks, weigh yourself. If you have not lost any weight, drop your calories a bit more (you might make another post at that point for guidance on how much to drop them.)

Do not stop lifting weights. Do not go crazy with cardio. Both are good for you but eating less is what will lead to weight loss.

kilgoreta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My TDEE is 2191 and I've been eating 1700-1800 calories a day (using MyFitnessPal). I did this several weeks ago and just try and eat roughly the same thing every day with not much variation. I thought about going down to 1500 calories but thought that was way too low. I'll give it a try though and see how it goes.

bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000)
    My TDEE is 2191 and I've been eating 1700-1800 calories a day (using MyFitnessPal). I did this several weeks ago and just try and eat roughly the same thing every day with not much variation. I thought about going down to 1500 calories but thought that was way too low. I'll give it a try though and see how it goes.
    You are not tracking correctly then. Get that on point and you will lose weight.

skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You have to make sure that you weigh everything and log everything. Don;t forget about calories you may drink, things like sauces and so on.

I'm 53 and I can drop fat, you can too. That said, I usually do a deficit at about 600 calories plus cardio most days. You can do 1,500 calories.
    I may be a loser, but I'm not a quitter!

BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlvckDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cardio plays a very minor role in fat loss.
    put more emphasis into your diet - Portion control/control your caloric intake
    Attend the gym or do some sort of physical activity consistently - progressive overload, lift intensely and heavy to gain muscle mass
    be patient with the process.

Thanks,
    Tim

oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldestman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your diet looks good, as long as portions are not too big. Start lifting weights.

Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Age is not the issue, log calories better. Make sure for instance your rice if weighed dry is off the dry calories weight as there’s a big difference vs cooked. Don’t assume your tdee calculation is correct, it can easily be 20% out.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Calorie trackers like Myfitnesspal are not accurate, no calorie or activity tracker is they just give estimates, which is why you have to adjust calorie intake based of the weight changes or lack or weight changes. If you are having 4 whole meals a day I find it hard to see how you are eating so little unless the portions are very small. If you are not losing weight then you need to adjust and drop calories.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs