Registered User euphoriarockets's Avatar
    euphoriarockets has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Switching to yoga for maintenance?

Hello!

At this point in my fitness journey, I want to step back from weight-lifting for a little bit and focus on a lower impact sport. Since I am not trying to build size at this time, I was looking towards yoga. I would really like to help reduce pain and discomfort accumulated from a car crash that I was in, and work on flexibility and balance.

I am at the point with my body where I am content with my size, content with my level of leanness, etc. I have been doing bodybuilding strictly for aesthetic purposes and not for competition physique.

Am I completely out of my mind for wanting to take this direction? I do not want to give up sports completely, but I also recognize that my body needs a break from something as strenuous as weight lifting. Specifically impacted by the crash were my knees and back. I intend on eating similar to how I was eating with lifting (just at maintenance levels). Am I going to lose the size that I worked to gain if I take a break from lifting for a little while to pursue something like yoga?

Thanks!

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not do both?
    Yoga is fantastic for mobility and flexibly as well as some strength but much different from weight training.
    Maybe two days of lifting and two days of yoga.
    If you stop weight training completely you will lose some of your hard earned muscle gains.
    It's not the end of the world if you do and if you're burned out of it then a break to yoga is probably in order.

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you aren’t maintaining your strength then you won’t give your muscles any reason to stick around and you’ll lose them. Weight lifting is low impact. If you find it too hard on your joints there are different ways to train that are easier on the joints. What program do you do?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by euphoriarockets View Post
    Hello!

At this point in my fitness journey, I want to step back from weight-lifting for a little bit and focus on a lower impact sport. Since I am not trying to build size at this time, I was looking towards yoga. I would really like to help reduce pain and discomfort accumulated from a car crash that I was in, and work on flexibility and balance.

I am at the point with my body where I am content with my size, content with my level of leanness, etc. I have been doing bodybuilding strictly for aesthetic purposes and not for competition physique.

Am I completely out of my mind for wanting to take this direction? I do not want to give up sports completely, but I also recognize that my body needs a break from something as strenuous as weight lifting. Specifically impacted by the crash were my knees and back. I intend on eating similar to how I was eating with lifting (just at maintenance levels).

Am I going to lose the size that I worked to gain if I take a break from lifting for a little while to pursue something like yoga?

Thanks!
    Depends on the length of the "little while" you plan to stop weight training, but in general, yoga won't maintain strength/muscle gained from lifting weights. But your goals/reasons for doing so are yours.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733