MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Deadlift help required

So.... 5 years ago I put myself in an ambulance and had 2 days in hospital due to not deadlifting with good form.

I took 6 months before I could do any exercise again... I totally ****ed myself up.

Now, I have 1 yr of working out back under my belt and am considering deadlifting again. (I workout alone, don't have space for a squat rack so squatting is not an option).

I don't want to come close to repeating my old injury, ever....

So... How can I deadlift, make gains doing it, but not go all out??

Is it a waste of time?

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MRHELLO View Post
    So.... 5 years ago I put myself in an ambulance and had 2 days in hospital due to not deadlifting with good form.

I took 6 months before I could do any exercise again... I totally ****ed myself up.

Now, I have 1 yr of working out back under my belt and am considering deadlifting again. (I workout alone, don't have space for a squat rack so squatting is not an option).

Is it a waste of time?
    Use good form and follow a logical progression system. You could also buy a trap bar and use that as a good combination of squat and raditional DL while being slightly less intensive on lower back. You could hurt yourself with a trap bar deadlift just as easily as a traditional if you sacrifice safe form for weight.

JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agreed^

Start light, even just the par propped up shin high to get form and mechanics right and progress slowly, 5lb a week or even every 2 weeks till you get to a comfortable weight.

Also, try barefoot in socks or a chuck Taylor type flat sole shoe. I just discovered this try and really takes the strain off my low back from being pulled forward when I used to wear running shoes to work out in.
    Jon - South Texas
    5’9” @ 199lb
    Deleting the ‘Dad Bod’ one set at a time!

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Use good form and follow a logical progression system. You could also buy a trap bar and use that as a good combination of squat and raditional DL while being slightly less intensive on lower back. You could hurt yourself with a trap bar deadlift just as easily as a traditional if you sacrifice safe form for weight.
    ^^Everything he said...Plus, while I've never done them myself, I've heard landmine deadlifts put you in a favorable position for proper form, something worth researching (and a landmine is a worthy addition to any home gym).

Also, it probably goes without saying, but you don't HAVE to deadlift. Some people have body structures that make it difficult to deadlift with perfect form. It's probably worth self assessing your goals and the risk factor of the injury reoccurring. I mean, if you are exercising primarily for fitness, health, and longevity, there are plenty of exercises in the arsenal besides deadlifts (or squats, for that matter).

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Is it a waste of time?
    Have you been cleared by your Orthopedist to perform Deadlifts?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MRHELLO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Have you been cleared by your Orthopedist to perform Deadlifts?
    No but I don't have one. Maybe I should see the doctor first... good point!!

I was under a physiotherapist for a year who cleared me 4 years ago... but I was too scared (too much of a wuss) to ever try again back then.

I don't experience issues now.... and the first sign of pain I'll stop.

My problem was that i was totally and utterly clueless. I used to deadlift to failure every set and put in 5 working sets of a weight that would make me fail around 10-12 reps. Plus I never really learned proper form......... i can't believe how moronic I actually was!!!

Thanks to everybody for help and the idea of a trap bar is great!!

So... How far off of my 1 rep max should I be Training, and how many sets and reps?

I really don't want to push intensity at this point until i know i can take it but I want it to be intense enough to be worthwhile.

Can I train at lower weights, not going to failure and still progress?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Indeed, especially for someone who's already been hospitalized due to a back injury.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Deadlifting to failure is a terrible idea.

First off, my advice assumes it is safe to train as approved by your doctor. With that said, back rounding is the hardest for people to control who are new to the exercies.

When I am helping a guy out that is having rounding problems, I will have them do Romainan deadlifts with a similar weight. If they dont round on RDL, it is not strength that is the problem....rather activation. Starting from a dead stop, it is hard to learn to activate all the muscles. Without the eccentric part of the exercise, people dont get the cue to remain tight.

I therefore recommend working rdls in the 5-7 range for a while. I also believe that touch and go (done without smahing the weight) can be helpful for the same reasons. Never taking the full tension off the back helps keep one tight.

Last, I recommend always staying above 3 reps and primarially working 5-8 rep range. 10 MAX. This is not an exercise you want to approach failure from fatigue. Work sets shooting for 8 reps and stop one or two shot of failure. NEVER grind. Pretty soon you get to where you are getting 8,and then add weight to get back down to the 5-6 rep range. Repeat over time....never once coming up to a failure point.

Again....all depending on your DR saying you are good to go.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Step 1: get sign off from doc.
    Step 2: do not let the distance between your body and the bar exceed 1" at any point during the lift.
    Step 3: lift in one continuous motion.

Step 1 is a must, 2 and 3 solve over 90% of people's form problems.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes see your Doc first and get an OK.
    Next if ok get a qualified coach or trainer experience with teaching the DL to teach you before you proceed.
    You can get all the online coaching available but you will never have a qualified eye watching you and correcting any errors you may have.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As long as medically appropriate... consider doing a lot of accessories like bird dog, weighted hypers, swimmers, general trunk mobility stretching, bridging, barbell pelvic thrusts.

Thanks everybody.

I took the medical advice seriously.

I have seen my doctor who, to be fair seemed to know very little about deadlifting but assured me that after such a long time since my "accident"...seeing as I have had no pain in that time and I have been working out with barbell rows etc.... I am fine.

Anyway, given that I am not in this for lifting records or competition (only against myself)...i was wondering about minimising risk further by exclusively using sumo deadlifts.

However, I literally know nothing about the benefits or disadvantages of sumo deadlifting.

Is there any reason I shouldn't exclusively use this style to further protect my back? Would I be missing out on anything?

Cheers
    Al

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks everybody.

I took the medical advice seriously.

I have seen my doctor who, to be fair seemed to know very little about deadlifting but assured me that after such a long time since my "accident"...seeing as I have had no pain in that time and I have been working out with barbell rows etc.... I am fine.

Anyway, given that I am not in this for lifting records or competition (only against myself)...i was wondering about minimising risk further by exclusively using sumo deadlifts.

However, I literally know nothing about the benefits or disadvantages of sumo deadlifting.

Is there any reason I shouldn't exclusively use this style to further protect my back? Would I be missing out on anything?

Cheers
    Al
    Sumo deadlift is more technical imo, with a shorter ROM. Since you are not squatting I’d recommend (again) to buy a trap bar. They can be found around $100 new and using the Low handles they are pretty much a combination of a squat and traditional DL and would likely provide more benefit.

1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Take the advise about the trap bar op. I have used one for a little over a year now and it is a game changer for us guys with vulnerable low backs.

I don't do standard DL's at all anymore since I've started with a trap bar and have had no back issues since. Much safer feeling move IMO.

Right. Trap bar it is!!!!

Thanks for all the help everybody 😀😀😀

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...HVQyBSQQ8gIIYw

I'm ordering this 😀

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I was under a physiotherapist for a year who cleared me 4 years ago... but I was too scared (too much of a wuss) to ever try again back then.

I don't experience issues now.... and the first sign of pain I'll stop.

My problem was that i was totally and utterly clueless. I used to deadlift to failure every set and put in 5 working sets of a weight that would make me fail around 10-12 reps. Plus I never really learned proper form......... i can't believe how moronic I actually was!!!

Thanks to everybody for help and the idea of a trap bar is great!!

So... How far off of my 1 rep max should I be Training, and how many sets and reps?

I really don't want to push intensity at this point until i know i can take it but I want it to be intense enough to be worthwhile.

Can I train at lower weights, not going to failure and still progress?
    Even thinking about a 1-rep max is counterproductive at this point. You need to train your CNS in the mechanics of the move for proper form, before a 1-rep max even becomes a meaningful concept. If you feel resistance, it's heavy enough to start with.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

SilvanaWilliams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With all the requisite check with your doctor, etc, assumed, try volume with lighter weights. Ans spot on form. Depends on your pain and injury of course, but that has been my rehab. Also, stregthening the hamstrings and legs in general. Sumo stance can take somes strain off your back.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't post links yet because of low post count, but check out "Buff Dudes" on youtube. Look for their video called "Deadlifts - 5 Most Common Deadlift Mistakes" Good stuff, straight forward and to the point.

Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    And when you do get back to it, consider posting videos here even at light weight, to let us check to make sure you aren't doing something way wrong.