Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Overhead Press Carryover To Bench

In the past I have only benched, not really overhead pressed at all. My chest and triceps tend to dominate a lot more in my bench than my shoulders, and my shoulders get tired first if I'm doing reps. Also, my shoulders are known to be weak since my bench is 215lbs, but my overhead press is only 110lbs.

Many people have conflicting views of weather ohp helps their bench or not, but since my shoulders are definitely my weakest point in the lift (and my stickingpoint is off the chest), would increasing my ohp increase my bench? Or would it just be more beneficial to do other exercises like possibly incline, pinpress, pause, etc? I don't care about how much I can overhead press, just bench.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    personally have never found any carryover.

It depends on the person though. You just have to find what works for your through trail and error.

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to this question.
    Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maverick584 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by adamsz View Post

It depends on the person though. You just have to find what works for your through trail and error.

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to this question.
    So would it be good to add in overhead press for the next month or two and just see how it goes?

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would add it in.

Even if you dont get any immediate carryover here is why I think you should include it:

1) Strong shoulders are important for strength training and to develop a well-rounded physique.

2) OHP works important supporting muscles like the Rotator cuff and lower lats and serratus. These are all important in ensuring your shoulders remain not only strong but healthy

3) People often expect to have direct carryover, e.g. lets says your OHP goes up 20lbs from 100lbs to 120lbs, they then expect their bench to have gone up 20lbs. It doesn't always work like that. Sometimes the carryover only happens once your OHP reaches a certain level, e.g. carryover once you get to 160lbs+

4) In the old days when the OHP was the main lift, shoulder injuries, rotator cuff problems were rare. Now every gym in the country has people with those injuries, because of an over emphasis on bench.

Tips for OHP:

> just do it before or after bench
    > use a grip width which is pain free (too close and I get impingement, too wide and I lose power). Try to aim for grip where you forearms are vertical.
    > Stay away from the behind the neck press and keep the barbell at the front
    > you can use some simply programming like 3 sets of 8, or use something like 531
    Meet PR: 230/ 135/ 262.5 [627.5] (in kgs)
    506/ 297/ 578 [1,381] (in lbs)

Weight: 92kg (202lbs)

blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^ I can’t imagine a scenario where OHP goes up 20lbs and your bench doesn’t (not saying impossible but you’d probably have some terribly weak triceps, and even then the OHP increase would probably help). I would say typically your bench will go up at least the same amount but maybe more if that is your weakness.
    Not to be rude but with a 215 benchpress, your weakness is benchpress.

Agree with shoulder health posted above.

Obviously my opinion is n=1
    Tobacco prostitute
    "Grow up Harriet"

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by adamsz View Post
    I've heard this several times and would have to agree.

OHP a great compound movement and pertinent for overall shoulder development.

Maverick584-If your sticking point is off your chest, then you need to get stronger. No offense, but you're not strong enough to bench whatever amount that is. When the bar is stuck on your chest, that's not a sticking point, that's just a lack of strength. Follow a good program and your lifts will go up.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If by adding the ohp you increase the training volume of the pressing muscles then yes it should have a positive effect. On the other hand if by adding in ohp it takes away from the amount of bench pressing you can do then it might be detrimental.

Originally Posted by scotpak1979 View Post
    I would add it in.

Even if you dont get any immediate carryover here is why I think you should include it:

1) Strong shoulders are important for strength training and to develop a well-rounded physique.

2) OHP works important supporting muscles like the Rotator cuff and lower lats and serratus. These are all important in ensuring your shoulders remain not only strong but healthy

3) People often expect to have direct carryover, e.g. lets says your OHP goes up 20lbs from 100lbs to 120lbs, they then expect their bench to have gone up 20lbs. It doesn't always work like that. Sometimes the carryover only happens once your OHP reaches a certain level, e.g. carryover once you get to 160lbs+

4) In the old days when the OHP was the main lift, shoulder injuries, rotator cuff problems were rare. Now every gym in the country has people with those injuries, because of an over emphasis on bench.

Tips for OHP:

> just do it before or after bench
    > use a grip width which is pain free (too close and I get impingement, too wide and I lose power). Try to aim for grip where you forearms are vertical.
    > Stay away from the behind the neck press and keep the barbell at the front
    > you can use some simply programming like 3 sets of 8, or use something like 531
    Very informative. Thanks. Behind the Neck Presses always kill my shoulders. I will definitely stick to front. If it doesn't help my bench, it will at least keep my shoulders healthy like you said. If my shoulders stay healthy I can bench longer and keep getting stronger. Indirect carryover.

Originally Posted by blindsideflank View Post
    ^^^ I can’t imagine a scenario where OHP goes up 20lbs and your bench doesn’t (not saying impossible but you’d probably have some terribly weak triceps, and even then the OHP increase would probably help). I would say typically your bench will go up at least the same amount but maybe more if that is your weakness.
    Not to be rude but with a 215 benchpress, your weakness is benchpress.

Agree with shoulder health posted above.

Obviously my opinion is n=1
    Thanks! Couldn't hurt to add Ig. Like before stated, shoulder health will be a benefit. I will be able to test if it helps within a month or two also. Hopefully it will, especially considering my shoulders are weak.

Ya you are right. 215 is pretty low lol. I really need to bring it up. That's why I'm trying to think of everhthing. I turned 16 yesterday and want to hit something like 275 by 17 at least. I'm only 130lbs right now so I will have to gain a lot of weight and train hard. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    I've heard this several times and would have to agree.

OHP a great compound movement and pertinent for overall shoulder development.

Maverick584-If your sticking point is off your chest, then you need to get stronger. No offense, but you're not strong enough to bench whatever amount that is. When the bar is stuck on your chest, that's not a sticking point, that's just a lack of strength. Follow a good program and your lifts will go up.
    Everyone seems to think differently. Half the people think it helps, half don't. I guess it might just be a personal thing. Can't hurt to try it though.

You said to increase my strength and follow a good program. How would something like this look.

Bench 3x5
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Overhead Press/Rows 3x8
    Facepulls 3x15

Do that everyother day, alternate deadlift with glute ham raises once I can't increase per workout. Once 3x5 stalls, go to 5x3, once that stalls, reset.

zGwild, Good points. I will be sure not to add OHP in replace of my bench. Didn't even think of that, thanks!

Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beachmuscles13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, in my opinion.

More importantly weak point training and you stated you feel your shoulders lag. So it should definitely help and worth at least a try.
    “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” Socrates

You can see lifting videos and follow me on instagram @zacherymassey

Originally Posted by Beachmuscles13 View Post
    Yes, in my opinion.

More importantly weak point training and you stated you feel your shoulders lag. So it should definitely help and worth at least a try.
    I've gotten so many awesome responses, thank you! I will for sure implement them and after I am much strong make a thread stating whether I felt it helped or not. Possibly make a log too.

AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AClarke78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I Bench 2x a week. On my heavy day I’ll do some sort of dumbell Bench, dip, or floor Press for higher reps (8-12) on the second I’ll do OHP for 3-5 reps. Sometimes I’ll do DB OHP for higher reps. I think it helps even it isn’t a direct carryover to your Bench.

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I first got into PL, I just did a few sets of dumbbell presses or lateral raises to maintain muscular balance and help prevent injuries. However, as my bench numbers went up, I found my shoulders starting to ache a bit. I jumped onto 5/3/1 when it first came out, did OHP consistently and that shoulder pain dissipated. I never really saw a a direct correlation between an increase in OHP poundage and bench poundage but focusing on that lift certainly helped me build my shoulder girdle which slowed down the wear and tear on the joints. A few years ago, I completely separated my AC joint and couldn't do many presses, at all. Bench was damn-near impossible but I could do OHP. As my OHP numbers went up and the lift became pain free, I was able to bench press again.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that youre a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you're 16 yrs old, weigh 130lbs and can bench 215lbs, that's a great bench. Keep it up.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life." - Cecil Rhodes

The Lifting Statistician Clydesdale1991's Avatar
    Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Clydesdale1991 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I find benching helps my overhead press, but not the other way around....weird
    Misc Pizza King:
    "Get rekt *******s, the pizza king is here." - MrBourbon

*HTC*

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Maverick584 View Post
    Thanks! Couldn't hurt to add Ig. Like before stated, shoulder health will be a benefit. I will be able to test if it helps within a month or two also. Hopefully it will, especially considering my shoulders are weak.

Ya you are right. 215 is pretty low lol. I really need to bring it up. That's why I'm trying to think of everhthing. I turned 16 yesterday and want to hit something like 275 by 17 at least. I'm only 130lbs right now so I will have to gain a lot of weight and train hard. Thanks again!
    I think when blindsideflank made that comment about your weakness is benchpress, he didn't take in consideration your body weight and age. For 16yo at a 130lbs (Junior division 132 weight class) you would actually do pretty good at a meet. Keep it up.
    Elite Powerlifter Masters Divison 50-54
    USPA PR @123lb (pounds): SQ 303.1 - BP 248 - DL 391.3 Wilks 394.37
    USPA PR @132lb (pounds): SQ 341.7 - BP 248 - DL 430
    16 State / 15 American / 10 World Records / 2 ATWR / 3x Best Lifter Award
    IG: fit.wraith