Thread: J hook styles

Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eric2o17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

J hook styles

Hi all. I’ve done lots of digging but have not found discussion on what bam looking for.

I have an older style powertec rack with the old style 1” pins with a washer welded to the end for j hooks. I don’t really have a problem with them, other than they are starting to look ugly with the original chrome chipping off.

My barbell is a bare finish, so I don’t really have any bar damage from it (there is wear, but no finish flaking).

I have found that I can get replacement flat style j hooks, the ones with nylon screwed to the faces for about $35 that will fit.

My question is,

Is it worth upgrading to the flat style j hook? Is there a boys able difference? Or should I just touch up the ones I have with some spray paint once in a while.
    $35 isn’t a ton of money if the other style is an upgrade but why spend it if there is no benifit. I’ll always have a rattle can of paint around.

aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) aWalkingShadow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The reason modern J-hooks have UHMW coverings on them is typically to protect the bar, not to protect the J-hooks. You're trying to protect the bar's knurling from getting worn down, which is especially important if you do any snatch grip deadlifts, or snatches.
    As long as there's no damage to the bar's knurling, there's no practical purpose to upgrading the J-hooks. It would only be for aesthetic purposes.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I bought some 1-1/4 inch nylon tubing, slit it, and wrapped it around the part between the washer and the rack. The tubing stays put on the pins. And my bar is quieter when racking. You can get the tubing at a hardware store in the plumbing department.

Attached Images
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59