Bisenberg97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to do about mild meniscus tear?

Hey everyone, so since October 2017 I’ve been having some left knee issues that only recently have gotten better. While I probably did this while working out, it actually doesn’t hurt when I lift, only when I’m climbing stairs or hills, etc. when I bike to classes it doesn’t hurt either. I’m 19, in college btw if that matters. I’ve always had knee issues and so have my uncle and grandfather. When I wrestled, knee pads were a requirement because without them I always burst my bursa sac in my knee. Anyway, I finally was able to get health insurance via my school and I visited the health center. She told me that I probably had a very mild/light meniscus tear. My knee grinds a lot and I can’t do a ton of twisting. She referred me to a orthopedist and he/she will probably suggest PT, MRI, or maybe just nothing. I really just want to get some opinions from here and ask if any of you have had this and what’s best?
    Thanks!

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do backward step ups on a staircase, this strengthens area around knee. Do glute work. This helps take pressure off knee. Take type 2 collagen like it's candy. I had a meniscectomy and I regret going thru with it before trying all of the above for a couple months before at least.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Ah see this is why I love this site, answer for everything haha thank you! That makes a lot of sense as to taking pressure off. I thought it was sorta ridiculous that she referred me to an orthopedist when I can still jump, run, lift, etc. I’d also rather not shill out money for something that can be fixed by myself. Do you recommend any physical therapy at all or can I take the states exercises and also maybe some others and self heal the injury?

JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There’s no definite answer you have a tear is there? You could have a patella tracking issue also that would cause your symptoms. I’d see an ortho doc before you do more damage.
    Jon - South Texas
    5’9” @ 199lb
    Deleting the ‘Dad Bod’ one set at a time!

I see, yeah that makes sense too. When I was first looking my symptoms and getting an idea of what was wrong I also thought maybe patellar tendinitis or jumpers knee. Tough to say without an orthopedist as you^ said. So do you guys recommend maybe seeing the ortho, but still doing the exercises, and then seeing what the doctor says and going from there?

JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hard to say, if you have no pain, I’d say maybe lighten the load until you see ortho? Always play it safe, especially if you may have a tear
    Jon - South Texas
    5’9” @ 199lb
    Deleting the ‘Dad Bod’ one set at a time!

Yeah I catch your drift. I think I may get “back” into the gym but mostly doing body weight and calisthenics verus my usual heavy stuff, see how that goes, and then finally go to the ortho and see where I can go from there. I’ll also do some of those knee strengthening exercises as well! Thanks a ton guys! Big help!