4Me2017 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wandering to Wonder Woman - The Journey

Hey all,
    Thought I'd start a journal to keep myself accountable and to garner feedback/support whilst on this journey. I'm doing all of this at my home gym which consists of power rack, barbell/dumbbells, resistance bands, and power tower so whilst i enjoy being able to do things in my own time, i do miss out on someone kicking my ass when i need it and the general pointers.

A bit about me. I was quite an active teen, but once i hit adulthood it all seemed to go the wayside. Work, study, life in general just got in the way and i exercised on and off, via running, weights, etc. At 35, and a few kg's heavier, hubby and I were referred for fertility treatment, that's where my weight sky rocketed and i found myself at 97kg (i'm 175cm tall). After a few rounds of ART, and feeling like my life was being controlled by everyone else but me, i decided it was time to get some control back of my life in those areas that i could.

I spoke to the doctor about the exercise that i would be permitted to do and they suggested walking everyday. So i did. After awhile, it was 'meh'. I needed something that i could challenge myself on, and after speaking with the doctor, i started lifting weights. They advised me of the times to be weary and the times i could go full steam ahead. So for the last 6-8 months, that's what I've been doing through various different programs including Erin Sterns 4 Week Elite Body; iterations of Thinner Leaner Stronger; PHUL.

After much research (and money ha), i'm finally settling on a novice strength program (Fierce 5) to get a more decent strength base and whilst i was maintaining a calorie deficit over the last few months, I've not been so strict lately as i'm about to start another cycle (i'm 98kg now with 88cm waist).

With all the above being said - i started Fierce 5 a couple of days ago, so my starting workout A lifts are (all in kg):
    Back Squat - 75 x 5/5/4 (yup, was a little too ambitious given i hadn't done legs for over a week, will try this weight again on Friday and see how i go)
    Bench - 45 x 5/5/5 (i had initially put on 50, but not having done it before, felt a little too heavy)
    Pendlay - 45 x 5/5/5 (first time I've done these, felt a little weird to begin with but i got the hang of it - after i completed my workout, i realised i was meant to do 8 reps, oops)
    Facepull - 19.9 x 10/10/10 (these are with resistance bands. Felt a little twinge in my shoulders every now and then, and after reviewing my form, realised need to do double bicep flex for rotation as opposed to row style)
    Calf Raises - BW x15 (toes pointed out and in) - will be adding weight on Friday
    Overhead Tricep Extensions - 10 x 10 followed by 12.5 x 10 (will up the weights next round, this was a tester)
    Added Exercise
    BB Glute Bridge - 45 x 10/10/10 (could have gone heavier but was feeling a pull in my right hammy making me stop every now and then)

Overall feeling - felt good/energised, muscles felt taxed even if i felt i could have given a little more in some exercises, but good for starters.

I'll be doing workout B tonight so this journal will be updated shortly, ciao for now .

Week 1 Workout B
    Front Squat - 45 x 5/5/5
    Military Press - 35 x 5/5/5
    RDL - 55 x 8/8/8
    V Pulldown (with bands) - 19.9 x 10/10/10
    DB curl - 5 x 10/10

Notes:
    Front Squat - Satans exercise, wtf man!! To say that form needs work is an understatement, everything feels so wrong. The only thing comfortable in this exercise was putting the bar back on the rack. Putting bare bar on the front hurt the front of my shoulders; so swapped the hold and although its not hurting my shoulders, my wrists are taking a fair pounding and feeling strain in my lower back. Further form research required.
    Military press - was comfortable at this weight until the last couple of reps, form started to drift - need to be patient and take the rest when i get it between sets.
    RDL - I do love an RDL! My grip was weakening on the last few reps, hammies and lower back could have taken more
    V Pulldown - mind-muscle connection was strong, took my time and felt everything. Felt good when finished, although tired.
    DB curls - left arm is definately weaker than right arm. Noticeably slower on the left than the right towards the last few reps. Glad i bought the incremental weights.

Overall, feeling good - definately need to look at front squat and building that up.

Originally Posted by dj924s View Post
    Awesome start!!
    Thanks feeling good about this program and hoping my improvements are just as strong xD

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi there. Welcome. You are off to a great start. Even over a year after first trying front squats, I still find them quite awkward but they do get better over time.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Hi there. Welcome. You are off to a great start. Even over a year after first trying front squats, I still find them quite awkward but they do get better over time.
    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the heads up re: front squats :/ looks like i have my work cut out for me on that one. Hope the getting better over time happens quickly :P

Week 1 Workout A #2
    Back Squat - 75 x 5/5/5
    Bench - 45 x 5/5/5
    Pendlay - 40 x 8/8/8
    Facepull - 12.4 x 10/10/10
    Calf raise - 40 x 15/15
    Overhead Tricep Extension - 13.7 x 10/9
    BB Glue Bridge - 45 x 10/10/10

Notes:
    Gorged on sugar today, and feeling sluggish
    Back Squat - As much as i got all sets, i'm thinking i might go anther round at 75 next week. My form dropped a bit on a couple of the reps in the second set (butt wink).
    Bench - All good, comfortable, and definately looking forward to upping the weights next week.
    Pendlay - i decided to drop the weights on this one and see how i went with the 8 reps. Form felt good, and no problems getting through the sets. Felt a little too easy to be honest, best i enjoy this now
    Facepull - tried with the 19.9, no go. Couldn't complete one in proper form, so had to drop to next band down. Shoulders felt good and could definately feel my shoulders burning in the last couple of reps. Amazing what proper form can do! No pain.
    Calf raises - felt the 'pings' in my calves (toes straight and out). I'm doing the raises in the cage and stepping up onto a 20kg weight and doing my calf raises on that. I'm needing the cage rails for stability.
    Overhead tricep extension - failure on the last rep. Felt strong throughout the first set, and most of the second then I crumbled pretty quick. I blame the sugar
    Glute bridges - comfortable, but cramp in my butt towards the end X| - laying on the ground, under the bar, trying not to lmao at the idea of someone walking by me as i'm doing stupid frog legs to stop the cramp!

Overall - happy that i got back to my 75kg squat, but feel it needs another round at that weight before upping. Looking forward to upping the weights on my other exercises

Week 2 Workout B

Front Squat - 45 x 5/5/6
    Military Press - 35 x 5/5/6
    RDL - 55 x 8/8/10
    V Pulldown (with bands) - 19.9 x 10/10/11
    DB curl - 5 x 10/11

Notes:
    Ate like crap again today, didnt get to do pre-prep yesterday but managed to pick up some items for the rest of the week that'll hit the macros. On a more positive note, i certainly achieved my carbs!
    Front squat - i think i got it! Not squatting so low as i would back squat, and resting the bar on a couple of fingers just near my shoulders. Felt good, comfortable and am looking forward to putting the weights up a tad on Friday.
    Military press - Yup, taking the full few minutes rest on the last set made a difference
    RDL - Bring on the increase!
    V Pulldown - hmm, might need to buy another set of bands or switch to assisted pullups
    DB curls - felt better this round

Overall - Bring on Wednesday!

Week 2 Workout A

Back Squat - 75 x 5/5/6
    Bench - 47.5 x 5/5/5
    Pendlay - 45 x 8/8/8
    Facepull - 17.9 x 10/10/10
    Calfraise - 45 x 15/15
    Tricep Extension - 13.7 x 10/10

Notes
    Back on a deficit for at least 3 weeks as of yesterday - having approx. 1400 calories
    Squats - funnily enough, I felt I could have gone another rep
    Bench - it’s all about the rest
    Pendlay - I’m starting to question if I’m doing these right - I feel it in the lats but am I also meant to hit the rhomboids?
    Facepull - definately felt the resistance on this, had to take a breather during the last set to finish
    Calfraises - definately should have started heavier
    Overhead tricep extension - finally got to squeeze out that last rep

Doc has told me to cut back on the weight loadings - playing too much havoc with my hormones apparently.
    Looks like i'll be changing my rep schemes - any suggestions? Perhaps all exercises 3 x 10-12? I'd like to continue doing the Fierce 5 exercises (as i still consider it to be nicely balanced) but am open to an entirely new program if need be.

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Never heard that before. Weight loading affecting hormones? Wonder if there are studies on that.

I wish I could make a recommendation but I have no problems sticking with 3-5 reps on my top sets with my focus on powerlifting. But I've never had issues with hormones, or well at least not yet. I usually do 8-12 for accessories. Maybe post in the general female forum to ask in relation to the weight loading and hormones as someone else might know more but not read everyone's journals.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Never heard that before. Weight loading affecting hormones? Wonder if there are studies on that.

I wish I could make a recommendation but I have no problems sticking with 3-5 reps on my top sets with my focus on powerlifting. But I've never had issues with hormones, or well at least not yet. I usually do 8-12 for accessories. Maybe post in the general female forum to ask in relation to the weight loading and hormones as someone else might know more but not read everyone's journals.
    After googling, it appears that heavy weights can be a concern - but more so around stimming then anything else (ovarian torsion) which i'm not even up to yet.
    Guess i'll find out if they're impacting me or not over the next month or two.
    Thanks for responding