Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    dan553 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

2 workouts a day, strict diet, not much weight loss.

Hey guys looking for some advice thanks in advance, I'll get straight to it.

Background- 28 year old male. 5'8". 197 lbs currently. Was 165 lbs a year ago, stopped working out due to sports injury, gained weight at sedentary job, and ate my way to 210 lbs. I started getting back to the gym and I am 197 lbs now after about a month however I am no longer losing any weight even though I ramped up my workout a ton.

Current workout:
    mon-friday during my lunch break at work: I swim a very rigorous 40 lap routine with intermittent pushups and situps inbetween 4 lap intervals.
    Mon-friday: after work I attend a pretty intense 1 hour boxing cardio class. I put 110% in and sweat like a maniac.
    Saturday/Sunday - rest however I go to the gym one of the days and run and cycle.

Current diet:
    Breakfast: 1 pack of reduced sugar maple brown sugar oatmeal and 1 bai drink.

Before lunch workout: 1 Apple

After lunch workout: 8 oz piece of chicken with a packet of birds eye brown rice, peas, wild rice, and corn.

Before boxing workout: nature's valley honey oat granola bar.

After boxing workout/dinner: a small salad with greens, croutons, and black olives and an 8 oz piece of chicken.

Counting everything this ended up being about 1500-1600 calories a day. Besides the 1 Bai drink that I have which is 5 calories, I drink anywhere from 5-10 bottled waters a day

I have been doing this the past 3 weeks and am still at 197 lbs. I feel like my appearance has gotten a little better. Like my stomach is smaller and my pants feel looser but still 197.

The only thing that I thought may be a contributing factor is I stopped taking paxil maybe about a month ago and I heard that can potentially affect weight loss but wasn't really sure.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by dan553; 02-13-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you havent lost in 4 weeks, eat less, considerably less. medicine has zero effect on any of this, ignore that, you are eating too much. reduce your calories from 1500 a day to 1100 a day.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Is it safe to go that low at my weight?

d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000) d2mini is just really nice. (+1000)
    At your height and weight and age, I'd think the lbs would be falling off... if you are truly eating 1500 cal/day. What's your TDEE? Could there may be a miscalculation in actual calorie intake?
    But... scales can be deceiving. Looser pants and visually smaller stomach may be a more accurate account of what's happening at this point.
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dan553 View Post
    Is it safe to go that low at my weight?
    Your 1500 is about 2400, so yes. The 1100 is actually 2000.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000) BrightonBomber is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't just go by the scale, you could be gaining muscle and losing fat. Better to take regular measurements, if your looking better but at the same weight, you are still losing body fat, just not weight.

Also your diet seems to have very little dietary fat. Fat is used to produce hormones, if your hormones are imbalanced this will make it harder for you to lose body fat. Last time I cut I got a 6 pack while having 30-40% of my calories coming from fat. You need 0.4g of fat per lbs of bodyweight.
    Bench -200lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs

xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000) xsquid99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lose the rice and the prepackaged processed oatmeal and granola bar, eat regular oats with some cinnamon. Eat 2 servings of vegetables at lunch and dinner.

What about salad dressings or cooking oils? How are you cooking your chicken?
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000) olympianspirit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Guys I think he has messed up his metabolism! I think he should do reverse dieting for two three weeks like start at 1200 for first week 1300 for next, 1400, 1500 and so till you correct your metabolism..should be good by like 6 weeks or so
    S/B/D: 225/200/315 (1RMs)
    BW: 166
    *Canadian Crew*
    *Computer Science Graduate Student Crew*

skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by serpentarius View Post
    your 1500 is about 2400, so yes. The 1100 is actually 2000.
    rotflmao!!!!
    I may be a loser, but I'm not a quitter!

skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP, take a few hundred cals more off your daily consumption. If you're not feeling light headed it's fine. As others have said, there is stuff sneaking in there somewhere. Reduce by 200 for a few weeks and see what happens.

Originally Posted by olympianspirit View Post
    Guys I think he has messed up his metabolism! I think he should do reverse dieting for two three weeks like start at 1200 for first week 1300 for next, 1400, 1500 and so till you correct your metabolism..should be good by like 6 weeks or so

The ink of your pen is dripping with sarcasm.

Ok I will take some more calories out. I don't cheat my diet at all. When I am hungry, I just drink a bottled water. The only thing I really snack on if I am absolutely starving is I have maybe 4-5 raw almonds. That's about it.

I considered the gaining muscle thing while losing fat, but I am running/boxing/swimming, not really big weight lifting activities.

Ok I will take some more calories out. I don't cheat my diet at all. When I am hungry, I just drink a bottled water. The only thing I really snack on if I am absolutely starving is I have maybe 4-5 raw almonds. That's about it.

I considered the gaining muscle thing while losing fat, but I am running/boxing/swimming, not really big weight lifting activities.
    Well cheating implies deliberate. Many people, despite their best intentions, just make small honest mistakes that add up. Ideally everything gets weighed but often people measure things, and a tbsp becomes a heaping tbsp, or they eyeball it, or maybe the scale is not calibrated. It's easy to make little mistakes.

If you're certain you're not making errors that's all the more reason to reduce cals further.

Also, try to drink before you're thirsty. Drink all day so you're in the head every other hour peeing a pretty clear pee. Then you're hydrated.

CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CommitmentRulz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The only thing I really snack on if I am absolutely starving is I have maybe 4-5 raw almonds. That's about it.
    I can't imagine being "absolutely starving" and handling that with 4 or 5 almonds...

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    I can't imagine being "absolutely starving" and handling that with 4 or 5 almonds...
    I kinda just try and push through it. Although it does kinda suck not seeing the results. Doesn't motivate me to push as much lol.

I kinda just try and push through it. Although it does kinda suck not seeing the results. Doesn't motivate me to push as much lol.
    It's very hard to be hungry. Try to eat foods high in protein and don't eliminate fat. Fat and protein will help you feel full longer. You can keep putting water into your stomach too, that helps. But yeah, it can suck. Try to be patient and remain disciplined. The weight will come off if you stick to it.

Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ilikebeef will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The bottom line is that if you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit.

Meaning that either:

You are eating more than you think you are.

Your TDEE is lower than you think it is.

or both.

I am also 5'8". I started at 217 and am now 180. I will not lose weight if I eat more than 1700-1800 calories a day. Yet my tdee says 2000 - 2100 is maintenance.

So I went to 1600 - 1650 calories a day and this seems to make me lose weight. I only exercise once a week maybe twice and its only 30-45 min of elliptical machine. I have some other issues where I cant lift weights at the moment, docs orders.

So since you are my size, I have to assume that you are somehow getting more calories than you think or your metabolism is slower than mine.

Carefully track EVERYTHING you eat, cream and sugar in your coffee, etc. Sugars in sauces. that type of stuff.

Lower your calories SLOWLY until you start to lose weight.

Dont let anyone tell you this is anything other than math calories in calories out.