Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)

Unhappy Eating veggies? WAY too many carbs, right? Noob needs tips.

I'm 35, 6', and 210lbs, lightly active (trying to become more active and hit the gym more)

MACROS:
    66% fat (131g/1178kcal),
    28% protein (126g/504kcal), and
    6% carbs (25g/100kcal).

if I understand correctly, I'm only supposed to have about 25g carbs. I've read all over the place here that you can "eat all the green leafy veggies you like." I don't get how this is possible for several reasons. first of all, a serving of veggies is WAY less than you'd think; and not all of it is fiber. Secondly, that 23g adds up extremely fast.

So what am I missing? I wish to eat more spinach and whatnot, but I don't want to risk not going into keosis or being thrown out. I'm also having trouble getting enough fat without overdoing it with protein.

I tried the Keto diet probably about 8 years ago - thinking I could just go to Sam's Club and buy tons of flats of eggs and bacon and be good, right? Well, stupid me didn't realize I still needed to account for calories if I wished to lose fat. I felt terrible, didn't lose weight, and failed. But I'm back at it years later, and I'm determined to do it right.

I just don't get how servings are SO SMALL!!! And everything seems to have SOME carbs in it. I guess I just need some clarification about the veggie thing and if anyone else noticed how small actual servings of food are lol!

Oh - last thing: I'm trying not to drive my wife nuts with my diet. She's naturally model skinny (~110lbs) but eats whatever she wants. Can I do a weekly "cheat" meal? I just want to be able to go out with her, eat whatever we want and not worry about ruining my goals and for one meal not obsessing over calories or macros. Do most people include a re-feed/carb-load/cheat meal with Keto? I understand my weakness for sweets and carbs, and really, I just plan on using the keto diet to get my weight back down to about 180 or so when I can be more active and exercise better dietary discipline, then re-keto as needed.
    Lucky me swimming in my ability; dancing down on life with agility!

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can eat plenty of vegetables on keto. You're allowed to have ~30 gram NET carbs.

Some very low carb options:
    Asparagus
    Bok Choy
    Broc oli
    Broc oli Rabe
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chard
    Chicory Greens
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Fennel
    Garlic
    Green Bean
    Jalapeno
    Lettuce, Green Leaf
    Lettuce, Romaine
    Parsley
    Radish
    Spinach
    Soy Bean
    Zucchini

You shouldn't be using macro percentages.

Why are you doing keto exactly? Do you know it has no fat loss benefits over a diet that includes carbs?
    Science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon http://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    Jorn Trommelen: http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Lyle McDonald http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ http://www.youtube.com/user/Team3DMJ

decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    You shouldn't be using macro percentages.

Why are you doing keto exactly? Do you know it has no fat loss benefits over a diet that includes carbs?
    I guess you're right about the veggies; I'm not sure what I was reading that made it look like they had more net carbs than they actually do. Maybe it was MyFitnessPal that calculates total carbs and doesn't subtract fiber or sugar alcohols. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how to measure two cups of spinach, for instance.

In any case, why shouldn't I be using percentages/grams?

I'm doing keto since nothing else works. I know I have a weakness to sweets and obviously overestimate what a serving is by many fold, so I want to try something a little out of my comfort zone. Again, I know it's not a miracle diet, but I feel it'll make me a bit more conscious of what I'm putting into my body. Plus, even just the last 2 days that I've been eliminating processed carbs have made me feel pretty good. I look forward to full-on ketosis and the mental clarity and decreased appetite that people have written about all over the web. But you're right - if I had more self control and discipline, I could definitely just use moderation with a regular diet. Thanks for your help!

Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by decreebass View Post
    I guess you're right about the veggies; I'm not sure what I was reading that made it look like they had more net carbs than they actually do. Maybe it was MyFitnessPal that calculates total carbs and doesn't subtract fiber or sugar alcohols. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how to measure two cups of spinach, for instance.

I'm doing keto since nothing else works. I know I have a weakness to sweets and obviously overestimate what a serving is by many fold, so I want to try something a little out of my comfort zone. Again, I know it's not a miracle diet, but I feel it'll make me a bit more conscious of what I'm putting into my body. Plus, even just the last 2 days that I've been eliminating processed carbs have made me feel pretty good. I look forward to full-on ketosis and the mental clarity and decreased appetite that people have written about all over the web. But you're right - if I had more self control and discipline, I could definitely just use moderation with a regular diet. Thanks for your help!
    Use a food scale to weigh everything, volumetric is not very accurate. a serving of spinach is 3oz (85g). Just use grams to calculate your macro intake. Figure out where you want to be (as it looks like you have) and adjust throughout the day as necessary. Starchy carbs tend to put my hunger into overdrive, eating more fat and protein seems to work well for me as well. Its nice not feeling like I need to pack food with me anytime I am going to be out more than a few hours....That said, keto probably isn't for everyone, if it works for you that's great, if not find something that does. Its just a tool for helping control intake/hunger.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and a waist is a terrible thing to mind ;)

"Keto-like" diet & training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175221741

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Use a food scale to weigh everything, volumetric is not very accurate. a serving of spinach is 3oz (85g). Just use grams to calculate your macro intake. Figure out where you want to be (as it looks like you have) and adjust throughout the day as necessary. Starchy carbs tend to put my hunger into overdrive, eating more fat and protein seems to work well for me as well. Its nice not feeling like I need to pack food with me anytime I am going to be out more than a few hours....That said, keto probably isn't for everyone, if it works for you that's great, if not find something that does. Its just a tool for helping control intake/hunger.
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, where I WANT to be is 155lbs and 23 years old again ...but I've got more realistic goals now. Hell, I'd be happy with 190. I was always a lot more active when I was leaner - or maybe I was leaner because I was more active; surely they're interdependent. But it's not a whole lot of fun running when it hurts. It's inspiring to weigh less and be able to knock out 15 pull-ups. That ain't happening at my current weight

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Because your net carbs should be around 30 grams. Protein should be ~0.9 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass. The rest of your calories should be fat. What percentages it works out to is irrelevant.

Because your net carbs should be around 30 grams. Protein should be ~0.9 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass. The rest of your calories should be fat. What percentages it works out to is irrelevant.
    Okay, I see; we're just talking about two sides of the same coin. If I have a set number of calories I'm allowed, and set/suggested amount of a given macro, then it can be described in terms of percentages or grams or calories. They're all interchangeable. That's where I was confused by your inquiry. The numbers were calculated as you mentioned using a keto calculator website (forgot which one) that estimated all that for me. I just added the percentages in case it worked better for anyone else; really just as a reminder that I'm trying to not overdo it even on protein and sabotage any hope of ketosis with glyconeogenesis. But I appreciate your input and what you have to say about this diet/lifestyle - you seem to be all over these keto threads

Okay, I see; we're just talking about two sides of the same coin. If I have a set number of calories I'm allowed, and set/suggested amount of a given macro, then it can be described in terms of percentages or grams or calories. They're all interchangeable. That's where I was confused by your inquiry. The numbers were calculated as you mentioned using a keto calculator website (forgot which one) that estimated all that for me. I just added the percentages in case it worked better for anyone else; really just as a reminder that I'm trying to not overdo it even on protein and sabotage any hope of ketosis with glyconeogenesis. But I appreciate your input and what you have to say about this diet/lifestyle - you seem to be all over these keto threads
    126 gram protein is quite low. If you want to build muscle 140 gram would be a minimum, IMO. And there's nothing wrong with 160 either. It won't kick you out of ketosis.

126 gram protein is quite low. If you want to build muscle 140 gram would be a minimum, IMO. And there's nothing wrong with 160 either. It won't kick you out of ketosis.
    I see what you mean. I got my calculations from https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ - and it does say that I could go higher in both protein and carbs. I just chose the lower/middle-ground numbers to be "safe."

I don't know what ketosis feels like. It's hard for me to project what I'll be feeling in a day or two or two weeks from now. So far I feel great (a little foggy, but that's to be expected at first, is my understanding) but I will definitely add more protein and carbs if I need to after a week or so once I'm back in the gym regularly. It's just so hard to sort through all the conflicting bro-science for keto. Some people claim a cheat day is fine, others no. Some say the only thing that matters is NET carbs; others say even Atkins bars (minimal net carbs) spike blood sugar and should be avoided. And on and on. So I'm trying to just eat as pure keto as possible; or at the very least, record everything in case there are issues.

Some people claim a cheat day is fine, others no.
    Well a cheat day with carbs will disrupt ketosis for a while. But that's not necessarily a big problem.

If you consume a lot of calories on your cheat day than it will set back your results a bit of course.

Ideally, if you do keto you don't cheat with carbs. Better to go higher with fats.

Some say the only thing that matters is NET carbs;
    This is true.
    others say even Atkins bars (minimal net carbs) spike blood sugar and should be avoided.
    That's nonsense.

And on and on.
    Feel free to ask me more. I read a lot about this stuff.

Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hello, the goal of the 30 grams of carbs on keto is to get those 30 grams from vegetables.
    If you crave sugar, you can have a diet coke or rivella zero whatever you like.
    You don´t really watch fat and protein, just calories and carbs.
    But it means that you can not eat nuts, milk products (with exception of Gouda cheese,
    Gouda cheese is one of the best foods on keto), bread and such products.

Ketosis smells like aceton.
    Your sweat is aceton.
    Your piss is aceton.
    Love the aceton, be the aceton.

My experience with keto and rating of keto: 9/10
    First month was hell, started halucinating and craving sugar.
    The first week i failed in the weekend, eating tons of twinkies
    when i should be eating sugarless food.

I did it over and it was hell to stop eating sugar.
    Diet coke helped me through this pain.
    But where keto hurts the most is in finances.
    I chose steak, bacon, eggs, cheese as main food source.
    It was very expensive.

Physical effects: After three weeks, clear mind, energy,
    better sleep, increased endurance, fat loss like crazy, one
    of the most effective fat loss diets. Massive strength increase,
    but no pumps or bad pumps. I looked flatter, but felt better.
    I got more veins, but lost size. I was very aggressive, stools
    were bad, i had to use FIBER SUPPLEMENT. Midweek i had a day
    of sugar: Saturday and Wednesday. Sunday i fasted.

Overall a very good diet method.
    So you're on the internet for good advice, here's some good advice: have a good laugh once in a while. And never tear your bicep!

628 / 661 LBS DL
    529 / 600 LBS SQ
    242 / 300 LBS BP

Originally Posted by Budaan View Post
    But it means that you can not eat nuts, milk products (with exception of Gouda cheese,
    Gouda cheese is one of the best foods on keto), bread and such products.
    Many types of nuts are ok during keto. And many types of cheese as well. Here's an extensive list: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...#post644048583

Many types of nuts are ok during keto. And many types of cheese as well. Here's an extensive list: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...#post644048583
    Yeah, I was thinking this; I had read that nuts are awesome on this diet. Of course, we still need to be cognizant of how many calories we're taking in as well as the macros. Damn. That reminds me; I have a whole bag of Walnuts I meant to bring to portion out and bring to work...

@Budaan - That sounds like you had a rough start. I remember the first time I tried this (again, Sam's Club and LOTS of bacon, etc.) I felt terrible. But I now realize I was just overdoing it, even though it might have been with the "right" foods for the diet. But this time I'm keeping a close watch on my intake and feel amazing as of day 4. I don't think I'm in Ketosis yet, but my wife keeps busting my balls about it lol. Plus I haven't needed a fiber supplement yet, but I do eat a couple servings of spinach daily, so I think that helps. If anything, my poo just smells a bit worse the last couple days. I'm not too worried about that though lol!

@Mrpb; 1) Since I don't really want to spend money on ketone testing kits, will I be able to noticeably smell my own acetone breath/urine? Or does it happen kinda gradually and will not be perceptible? 2) In your research, what is your opinion about fake sugar or sugar alcohols? While many people say it doesn't count as calories, there are a few that say it should be counted toward your carb total. I don't know what to believe and I bought a whole bunch of Atkins treats that I'm afraid to touch now (and I didn't plan on eating them all every day, just a small treat every now and again). I know you said it's nonsense that the Atkins bars/M&Ms and stuff would spike blood sugar, but I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion. It's one that I have a bias toward wanting to believe you, for sure! Thanks again for your input on all this.

Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Budjola has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

@Mrpb; 1) Since I don't really want to spend money on ketone testing kits, will I be able to noticeably smell my own acetone breath/urine? Or does it happen kinda gradually and will not be perceptible? 2) In your research, what is your opinion about fake sugar or sugar alcohols? While many people say it doesn't count as calories, there are a few that say it should be counted toward your carb total..
    1. stay under 30g net carbs and you will be in ketosis - wont happen overnight tho
    2. try to stay away from fake sugars as some of them can kick you out easily. alternative would be stevia and erythritol, they are ok to some extent
    I always tell the truth, even when I lie.

Podcast / Keto / Crypto / Prolapse

1RM / DL-396lbs / SQ-330lbs / BP-253lbs
    No fap since December 10th 2017 crew

@Mrpb; 1) Since I don't really want to spend money on ketone testing kits, will I be able to noticeably smell my own acetone breath/urine? Or does it happen kinda gradually and will not be perceptible? 2) In your research, what is your opinion about fake sugar or sugar alcohols? While many people say it doesn't count as calories, there are a few that say it should be counted toward your carb total. I don't know what to believe and I bought a whole bunch of Atkins treats that I'm afraid to touch now (and I didn't plan on eating them all every day, just a small treat every now and again). I know you said it's nonsense that the Atkins bars/M&Ms and stuff would spike blood sugar, but I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion. It's one that I have a bias toward wanting to believe you, for sure! Thanks again for your input on all this.
    Here's the funny thing: it doesn't really matter. A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. There's no evidence that being in ketosis causes more fat loss than not being in it.

So if you feel good, you're able to stick to your diet and you're losing weight that's all that matters.

The amount of carbs in most of these Atkin treats are negligible. Some people are able to stay in ketosis even with 100 gram carbs per day.

The only accurate way of measuring whether you're in ketosis is a blood meter. Strips or smelling won't be accurate.

As to your question on how much these sugar alcohols spike your blood sugar: it will depend on the exact type you're talking about, the other nutrients in your stomach and your individual response to it (which you can't know without measuring it). But as mentioned, nothing to worry about as long as you feel good and they fit your calories.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 02-14-2018 at 07:37 AM.

screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000) screwnuts is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Budjola View Post
    1. stay under 30g net carbs and you will be in ketosis - wont happen overnight tho
    2. try to stay away from fake sugars as some of them can kick you out easily. alternative would be stevia and erythritol, they are ok to some extent
    The only fake sugars I'd worry about are the ones that contain maltodextrin. A cup of Splenda powder, for example, contains 24g of carbs. There are even some Stevia powders that contain maltodextrin.

Personally, I just avoid artificial sweeteners altogether. It doesn't take long before you become accustomed to the way things taste without sugar.
    "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world."

Arahantzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep in mind that splenda is 8x sweeter then sugar by weight, so while a cup of splenda is 24g of carbs its the equivalent of 8 cups of sugar. I find its actually my favorite sweetener for sweetening drinks as i usually always only need a few packets and thats only 2g of carbs which is nothing. Erythritol is good for baking but does have abit of a cooling effect which i dont mind to much, could have a laxative effect depending on your gut sensitivity i dont really have any issues.

Erythritol, Xylitol, Stevia, Sucralose (main ingredient in splenda) are all good, I will drink diet pop that has aspartame in it but i do it sparingly, there doesnt seem to be enough science to say for sure its bad for you but there is science out there showing negative effects in animal models, and i think i read something about how it could have some cause on blood glucose indirectly.

I personally find that as long as i avoid all high carb foods its often quite easy not to hit my carb limit. I give myself 10g of carbs each meal and i eat 4 meals. theres usually only like 1.5g of net carbs in 100g of spinach/salad mix. cauliflower is like 3g. I'm usually deciding what im going to eat for my carbs as I just eat alot of meat and usually fill myself up on meat. I get all the fiber i need from low carb dark chocolate.

I should probably be eating more veggies.

Originally Posted by Arahantzz View Post
    Keep in mind that splenda is 8x sweeter then sugar by weight, so while a cup of splenda is 24g of carbs its the equivalent of 8 cups of sugar.
    I think you're thinking of another sweetener. Splenda's whole schtick is that it measures and tastes just like sugar. You're right though; one cup has 24g carbs (which is WAY less than sugar, since 1g sugar is ~4cal, and 1cup=~200g/~770cal. I'm okay not even using sweeteners, though. I'm good with just a little diet soda every now and again (small cans).

Arahantzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1 packet of splenda is 1g serving, which according to the packaging is equivalent to 2 tsp of sugar, which is 8g. Thats how i measured it, but yeah if you were to use a cup of splenda in a desert or something it would likely make 6-8 servings which would be fairly keto. I personally would prefer just to use straight sucralose and cut out the carbs completely... and i dont like the marketing of splenda as its marketed as a zero calorie sweetener which it isnt. The regulations say aslong as its under 4 calories per serving you can market at as zero calorie... i think one serving of splenda is 3 calories... not a big deal at one serving but once you start using a cup of it it could really be an issue for some people on a diet. But for me i find its the closest thing to tasting like sugar then anything else.

Originally Posted by Arahantzz View Post
    1 packet of splenda is 1g serving, which according to the packaging is equivalent to 2 tsp of sugar, which is 8g. Thats how i measured it, but yeah if you were to use a cup of splenda in a desert or something it would likely make 6-8 servings which would be fairly keto. I personally would prefer just to use straight sucralose and cut out the carbs completely... and i dont like the marketing of splenda as its marketed as a zero calorie sweetener which it isnt. The regulations say aslong as its under 4 calories per serving you can market at as zero calorie... i think one serving of splenda is 3 calories... not a big deal at one serving but once you start using a cup of it it could really be an issue for some people on a diet. But for me i find its the closest thing to tasting like sugar then anything else.
    I agree. It lacks the chemically/bitter aftertaste of some of the others. I would hope anyone on keto wouldn't be downing a cup of ANY kind of sweetener lol! It's definitely my favorite. I might look into sucralose, though. I chew about 4 or 5 pieces of Trident or Eclipse each day; that's got xylitol in it but supposedly has very few calories. I only chew one piece, anyway, which is half of a serving.

Regardless, I'm gonna do more research about it, but I plan on having a cheat day once a week or so (or, as my wife calls it, not inaccurately, a "binge day"). I've read a lot of people having a "carb up" day where they still maintain their caloric intake but include carbs in a greater ratio, but I don't think that would work for me. Not yet, anyhow. My plan is to carefully curate a bunch of tasty treats and pig out. Knowing I have that to look forward to, I can easily maintain a week-long caloric restriction that wouldn't be ruined by a cheat day/meal.

Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pur3p3r50n is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree. It lacks the chemically/bitter aftertaste of some of the others. I would hope anyone on keto wouldn't be downing a cup of ANY kind of sweetener lol! It's definitely my favorite. I might look into sucralose, though. I chew about 4 or 5 pieces of Trident or Eclipse each day; that's got xylitol in it but supposedly has very few calories. I only chew one piece, anyway, which is half of a serving.

Regardless, I'm gonna do more research about it, but I plan on having a cheat day once a week or so (or, as my wife calls it, not inaccurately, a "binge day"). I've read a lot of people having a "carb up" day where they still maintain their caloric intake but include carbs in a greater ratio, but I don't think that would work for me. Not yet, anyhow. My plan is to carefully curate a bunch of tasty treats and pig out. Knowing I have that to look forward to, I can easily maintain a week-long caloric restriction that wouldn't be ruined by a cheat day/meal.
    Cheat days are counterproductive for weightloss. True keto has been shown to outperform the carb cycling variants. Your cheat day/meal can easily be 1-2k calories which will cancel 2-4 days of deficit. That's not good.

Registered User AndrewBrownKeto's Avatar
    AndrewBrownKeto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Be very careful when you are considering a cheat day. If you are looking for the additional health benefits from ketosis (mental clarity, better sleep, improved physical performance), one cheat day, or even a cheat meal, can throw you out of ketosis. I know you want to look forward to those treats, but they will literally kick you out of ketosis and make you start over to get back into it. Plus you will be spiking your insulin, which you are actively working to reduce. Instead, look at fat bombs and keto desserts. You can find tons of recipes online. They won't be the same as the sweets you are used to, but remember why you started this journey in the first place. Your sugar cravings will go away, it will just take time and discipline. Trust in this, it's going to happen, but every time you eat sugar, you will have to start the wait all over again.

Originally Posted by AndrewBrownKeto View Post
    Be very careful when you are considering a cheat day. If you are looking for the additional health benefits from ketosis (mental clarity, better sleep, improved physical performance), one cheat day, or even a cheat meal, can throw you out of ketosis. I know you want to look forward to those treats, but they will literally kick you out of ketosis and make you start over to get back into it. Plus you will be spiking your insulin, which you are actively working to reduce. Instead, look at fat bombs and keto desserts. You can find tons of recipes online. They won't be the same as the sweets you are used to, but remember why you started this journey in the first place. Your sugar cravings will go away, it will just take time and discipline. Trust in this, it's going to happen, but every time you eat sugar, you will have to start the wait all over again.
    You are not incorrect. However, I know myself and I know that there are no keto substitutes for Zebra Cakes, Double Quarter Pounders with cheese, etc. And while I also know that I'm loving the way the way I feel on Keto (even since the first day, since I added extra electrolytes and whatnot), I know that this will likely not be indefinitely sustainable.

My goal, really, is to just drop enough weight that it doesn't hurt to be active. Even though I'm not morbidly obese, running when you're 6', 215lbs is not pleasant. It's not as bad as it could be, like if I were 315 trying to lose, but still. I feel it in my knees, back, hips, and ankles.

I'm down about 7lbs since I started - not just keto, but also restricting calories to just under 1800/day. I feel great. It actually felt like work to get those last few hundred calories in yesterday. I had to shovel a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter and one spoonful of ghee (not recommended; I was just experimenting). So overall, it's going well. I know a cheat day/meal hinders "progress" in the traditional sense, but I'm not a bodybuilder and I'm not working toward a competition- so the main thing here is that (a) I drop some weight and (b) I stay sane. Maybe if this turns out to be an ultra-successful method, who knows? I may hit the gym regularly and actually work on bodybuilding. I've done it before.

Years ago I went on a similar journey. I went from 215 to 155 in about 6 months. It wasn't keto, but it was definitely clean eating, portion control, and lots of exercise (once I got under about 190, when exercise didn't hurt). I even created and "published" my diet/exercise plan.

I'm sorry for the rambling; the long and the short of it is that yes, I know a cheat day/meal might be detrimental to the physiological processes and to the diet, but long term, it will help. That said, I don't know if it'd be every week. today makes day 7 and I'm really not craving anything. I am getting a little bored of the meager selection I started with, but as long as I'm not left naked and alone in a cake factory or the walmart treat section, I can resist Perhaps I'll just listen to my body. One consideration is that I haven't hit the gym since I've been doing this. I know that will alter both how I feel and my nutritional requirements so I wanted to try this out for week before I added the complication of weight lifting. I appreciate your input, though, Andrew!

Registered User AndrewBrownKeto's Avatar
    AndrewBrownKeto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are not incorrect. However, I know myself and I know that there are no keto substitutes for Zebra Cakes, Double Quarter Pounders with cheese, etc. And while I also know that I'm loving the way the way I feel on Keto (even since the first day, since I added extra electrolytes and whatnot), I know that this will likely not be indefinitely sustainable.

My goal, really, is to just drop enough weight that it doesn't hurt to be active. Even though I'm not morbidly obese, running when you're 6', 215lbs is not pleasant. It's not as bad as it could be, like if I were 315 trying to lose, but still. I feel it in my knees, back, hips, and ankles.

I'm down about 7lbs since I started - not just keto, but also restricting calories to just under 1800/day. I feel great. It actually felt like work to get those last few hundred calories in yesterday. I had to shovel a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter and one spoonful of ghee (not recommended; I was just experimenting). So overall, it's going well. I know a cheat day/meal hinders "progress" in the traditional sense, but I'm not a bodybuilder and I'm not working toward a competition- so the main thing here is that (a) I drop some weight and (b) I stay sane. Maybe if this turns out to be an ultra-successful method, who knows? I may hit the gym regularly and actually work on bodybuilding. I've done it before.

Years ago I went on a similar journey. I went from 215 to 155 in about 6 months. It wasn't keto, but it was definitely clean eating, portion control, and lots of exercise (once I got under about 190, when exercise didn't hurt). I even created and "published" my diet/exercise plan.

I'm sorry for the rambling; the long and the short of it is that yes, I know a cheat day/meal might be detrimental to the physiological processes and to the diet, but long term, it will help. That said, I don't know if it'd be every week. today makes day 7 and I'm really not craving anything. I am getting a little bored of the meager selection I started with, but as long as I'm not left naked and alone in a cake factory or the walmart treat section, I can resist Perhaps I'll just listen to my body. One consideration is that I haven't hit the gym since I've been doing this. I know that will alter both how I feel and my nutritional requirements so I wanted to try this out for week before I added the complication of weight lifting. I appreciate your input, though, Andrew!
    I'm glad to hear that you are on the path to a healthier you, and stay away from those cake factories!!