Patzello100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mixing 5x5 and Splits

I have been doing a 5x5 routine with some isolation exercises mixed in for about 10 weeks. I have been considering working in a split workout as well and wanted some feedback, if anyone has experience with this.

What I was thinking about was to do 5x5 one week (for strength) and split the next (for building muscle), going back and forth. I have done this for one rotation so far and the only issue that I have seen is that my legs have not fully recovered by the time I get back to the 5x5. I am guessing this will change as I adjust, though.

Has anyone else worked like this before? Is this going to be productive, or would I be better off focusing in one direction? I have tried to research this but have found no literature online.

Any experienced advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I am not 48! I don't even know how to change the age, but I am 36 if that matters.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The idea that 5x5 is "for strength" and splits are "for mass" is overly simplistic. Actually novices can get both from 5x5s. More advanced lifters have problems achieving both at the same time and those who want mass are forced to increase rep ranges and spread their (larger) training load over more days - by necessity - not because they "higher reps are for more mass".

Thank you for your response!

I suppose I may have not been asking the right question. This is my attempt to build a workout that will get me to where I would like to be. Looking big is secondary to actually having functional fitness for me, although I would ideally do both. I do like 5x5 for building strength, but I also value the benefits of a split routine (which I was doing until recently). A 5x5 routine also opened up a workout day for functional cardio for me, too.

Is there a better way to build both at the same time? Will this method of mixing the two be ineffective or otherwise not advisable?

JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JonM81x has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I mixed 5x5 with simple power based routine from iron addicts. I enjoyed it, and was able to run it 3 months about before stalling. My 2018 log is in the O35 journal section.
    Jon - South Texas
    5’9” @ 199lb
    Deleting the ‘Dad Bod’ one set at a time!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Patzello100 View Post
    Thank you for your response!

I suppose I may have not been asking the right question. This is my attempt to build a workout that will get me to where I would like to be. Looking big is secondary to actually having functional fitness for me, although I would ideally do both. I do like 5x5 for building strength, but I also value the benefits of a split routine (which I was doing until recently). A 5x5 routine also opened up a workout day for functional cardio for me, too.

Is there a better way to build both at the same time? Will this method of mixing the two be ineffective or otherwise not advisable?
    You've repeated what you said in your first post and ignored what I wrote.

The point was that you don't need to mix rep ranges. This is why most expert designed novice routines usually just use a single rep range. Just pick one of the routines we recommend from the sticky threads. Trying to make your own will almost certainly not be as effective.

GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    Like a body part split or what?

If you can make gains workout to workout I would rock a 3 day full body. However if you wanted to run a 5x5 hybrid a good one I ran some time ago went like this.

Upper 1
    Horizontal press (heavy) 5x5 ramped
    Horizontal row (heavy) same
    Vertical press (light) 3x10 (working up to last set of 1 rep short of fail)
    Vertical pull (light)
    Arms

Lower 1
    Squat Variation (heavy)5x5 ramped
    Hams (light) 3x10
    Leg ext: Opt pump sets
    Calves
    Abs

Upper 2 (same setup as upper1)
    Vertical press (heavy)
    Vertical pull (heavy)
    Horizontal press (light)
    Horizontal row (light)
    Arms

Lower 2
    Deadlift variations (heavy) 5x5 ramped
    Leg Press (light) 3x10
    Calves
    Abs

Again, thank you for your input.

I didn't ignore you, and I didn't repeat myself. I asked for specific input about the program I was describing because I could not find info on my own. You responded by explaining why people expand their workout. So then I explained my goals.

Your second response was more direct to my question, although you put a little pepper on it.

I will take the pinned programs into consideration.

Originally Posted by GotYrSix View Post
    Like a body part split or what?

If you can make gains workout to workout I would rock a 3 day full body. However if you wanted to run a 5x5 hybrid a good one I ran some time ago went like this.

Upper 1
    Horizontal press (heavy) 5x5 ramped
    Horizontal row (heavy) same
    Vertical press (light) 3x10 (working up to last set of 1 rep short of fail)
    Vertical pull (light)
    Arms

Lower 1
    Squat Variation (heavy)5x5 ramped
    Hams (light) 3x10
    Leg ext: Opt pump sets
    Calves
    Abs

Upper 2 (same setup as upper1)
    Vertical press (heavy)
    Vertical pull (heavy)
    Horizontal press (light)
    Horizontal row (light)
    Arms

Lower 2
    Deadlift variations (heavy) 5x5 ramped
    Leg Press (light) 3x10
    Calves
    Abs
    Thanks. I think I like this better than what I was trying to do, and incorporate two separate workouts.

Originally Posted by JonM81x View Post
    I mixed 5x5 with simple power based routine from iron addicts. I enjoyed it, and was able to run it 3 months about before stalling. My 2018 log is in the O35 journal section.
    Cool beans. I'll have to take a look.

Thank you for the input

GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000) GotYrSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Patzello100 View Post
    Thanks. I think I like this better than what I was trying to do, and incorporate two separate workouts.
    No prob. Its generally ran 3 weeks out from your 5rm then you try to break pr's. If you want a tad more work ramp the last 3 sets a little closer together which basically makes it like a 3x5.

Heres a more detailed thread a guy wrote up.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...0554001&page=1