jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weight Loss Nutrition - Opinions?

Finally trying (I feel like I've said this so many times, but finally feel like I found my reason to do it) to really lose some weight. 23 years old, 220lbs, 5'8 male. My biggest issue has been and will always be my diet, love to snack, junk foods, etc. So its time to crack down, but since I am also not a fan of always cooking, I am planning on going the meal prepping route, so then I can cook 1-2 times per week, and go from there to see how things work out.

Workouts/Work/Life: I workout 5-6 times a week, I plan on doing low intensity cardio 2 times per week, and HIIT 1-2 times per week as well. I work in facilities maintenance, so work can be both very active and relatively inactive some days, probably averaging out to a moderate activity level all day. With my body weight, age, and work/lifting the caloric intake calculator says I should be at 2,000 for fat loss, although from my experience that seems to be high for me personally, so I plan on starting around 1800 calories, and can then adjust from there if I am not losing, or am losing too fast.

Diet, here is where I would like some opinions on my current basic idea of a "meal plan":

Meal 1 - 6:00am - 1/2 Cup Oatmeal - 150 cal

Meal 2 - 7:00am - 2 scoops whey - 260 cal

Meal 3 - 10:00am - 6oz Chicken - 277 cal
    + Veggies and Carb

Meal 4 - 1:00pm - 6oz Pork - 180 cal
    + Veggies and Carb

Meal 5 - 5:00pm - 6oz Lean Ground Beef - 304 Calories
    + Veggies (No Carbs)

For a total of just the stuff listed that puts me around 1200 calories, 172g Pro, 33g Carbs, and 68g Fats.

My question is, does that sound like I am on the right track? Ill be adding carbs to two more meals, and possibly one more protein shake (3pm and then meal 5 would be 6pm) to bump up my protein to 200g. Looking for opinions and any tips people may have. I know that if my carbs are too low, I dont stick with a diet, and if they are too high I dont seem to lose, because I know I will eat more carbs than I should, so trying to also eat them earlier, and not closer to bed, as that has helped me with my diet in the past, although I know its mental and not the "carbs before bed make you fat"

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Start with more than 2000 calories. Eating too little won't be beneficial because you will faster hit plateau

jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhallgren22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mikeez0 View Post
    Start with more than 2000 calories. Eating too little won't be beneficial because you will faster hit plateau
    Sorry for the late response! I hate how this never lets me know when someone replied. Thank you for your response!

Ill give that a shot, I wasn't even thinking about that when coming up with my plan. Any recommendations on changes or modifications? I plan on doing cardio after work some days, so between meals 4/5. Would cutting carbs from Meal 5 have any benefit, or is it better to spread carbs evenly? And do you think my overall Macro breakdown is in a good range for my goals?
    Bench: 200
    Squat: 300
    Dead: 410

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jhallgren22 View Post
    Sorry for the late response! I hate how this never lets me know when someone replied. Thank you for your response!

Ill give that a shot, I wasn't even thinking about that when coming up with my plan. Any recommendations on changes or modifications? I plan on doing cardio after work some days, so between meals 4/5. Would cutting carbs from Meal 5 have any benefit, or is it better to spread carbs evenly? And do you think my overall Macro breakdown is in a good range for my goals?
    Carb timing is up to you. Eat them during the day that maximizes your performance.

I'd slightly bump fats to ~75g or so. Once you hit your protein and fat minimums, you can spread the rest as you want with c/f/p.

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    Carb timing is up to you. Eat them during the day that maximizes your performance.

I'd slightly bump fats to ~75g or so. Once you hit your protein and fat minimums, you can spread the rest as you want with c/f/p.
    Thanks for the response! Do you think there would be a benefit to no carbs or fewer carbs after running if weight loss is the goal?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks for the response! Do you think there would be a benefit to no carbs or fewer carbs after running if weight loss is the goal?
    Weight loss is determined by net calorie intake. You need to to meet certain protein and essential fats minimums - beyond that it's down to preference.

So no, carbs are not the enemy of fat loss. And you don't need to avoid them in the evening either, that's a common myth.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Weight loss is determined by net calorie intake. You need to to meet certain protein and essential fats minimums - beyond that it's down to preference.

So no, carbs are not the enemy of fat loss. And you don't need to avoid them in the evening either, that's a common myth.
    I understand that. But since carbs are easier to be broken down for energy, then protein/fat, is there any benefit to having less carbs, so by the time im asleep my body will go to other sources (hopefully fat) for energy. And since I will be asleep, I wont be using much anyways. So basically in my head im thinking it will be a longer overall fasting period while asleep?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I understand that. But since carbs are easier to be broken down for energy, then protein/fat, is there any benefit to having less carbs, so by the time im asleep my body will go to other sources (hopefully fat) for energy. And since I will be asleep, I wont be using much anyways. So basically in my head im thinking it will be a longer overall fasting period while asleep?
    No, that is not how the body works. at carbs whenever, it is the total calorie intake that will determine fat gain, not carbs.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

What do you think of the plan below?

Breakfast: Oats
    Protein (1 scoop)

Snack: Protein Shake (2 Scoops)

Meal 1: Chicken
    Minute Rice

Meal 2: Chicken
    Minute Rice

Meal 3: Ground Beef
    Minute Rice

Breakdown is: 228 Protein, 147 Carbs, 70 Fats and 1908 calories.

Ill plan on finding some other carbs later to swap out in some meals for the minute rice and all of the meals will also have veggies.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Better to be flexible with your diet. It's better for adherence in the long term and for dealing with travelling or social eating situations. There is no particular reason why you should eat those foods at those times. There is no reason why you can't have other carb sources than rice and oats.

I hope you are eating vegetables too.

Better to be flexible with your diet. It's better for adherence in the long term and for dealing with travelling or social eating situations. There is no particular reason why you should eat those foods at those times. There is no reason why you can't have other carb sources than rice and oats.

im just using the above as more of a guideline, and have other protein sources laid out to try and fit (almost) the same macro breakdown. As it says at the end, im going to find other options for carb sources (sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine) and all meals will have veggies. And yeah, the times are just there for my OCD, with work the middle ones especially all end up a little off, but I also run into the issue where if I dont try for a certain time, I end up forgetting until dinner time.

I also plan on doing one day a week more relaxed, and a more relaxed dinner thats healthy but not overboard on calories at all.

Plus veggies are my saving grace when Im at work. Im a "grazer" and could have small snacks all day, so carrots and broc**** are a huge help to keep in my bag with me.

im just using the above as more of a guideline, and have other protein sources laid out to try and fit (almost) the same macro breakdown. As it says at the end, im going to find other options for carb sources (sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine) and all meals will have veggies. And yeah, the times are just there for my OCD, with work the middle ones especially all end up a little off, but I also run into the issue where if I dont try for a certain time, I end up forgetting until dinner time.

I also plan on doing one day a week more relaxed, and a more relaxed dinner thats healthy but not overboard on calories at all.
    Or you could just count calories and protein grams, apply common sense to food choices - and be more relaxed all of the time. That's what I do anyway.