Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User Tanyah21's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    Tanyah21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tanyah21 is offline

    Calorie Deficit and Daily Energy

    Hi all,

    I'm new to posting here but have seen how helpful and informative this community can be so I thought I'd reach out.
    I've been trying to lose fat since late December and have been consistent in workouts and my diet. I lowered my calories to 1300/day and find myself exercising and burning 300-600 calories each time. Was running consistently for about a month (3x/week with a minimum 5km distance each time) until this week because of my IT band. In between, I would do strength training about twice a week.

    Now, I still find myself consuming ~1200 NET calories which doesn't count as a calorie deficit if I'm consuming my burnt calories back right?

    Meals are pretty clean in my opinion - yogurt with granola, egg whites and spinach, or oatmeal with protein powder and bananas in the morning
    Lunch - 1cup baked chicken and a variety of veggies to mix it up
    Dinner - salad, mixed veggies and smaller amount of chicken

    How do you guys keep your energy levels up? I feel like these meals keep me full for about 2-3 hours, then I get hungry and find myself wanting to snack. For the most part, I try not to, keeping that calorie deficit in mind.
    Any ideas? Tips? What foods keep you full for a long period of time?

    I've lost about 3lbs since. For reference, I'm 5'1", 26 years old and 130lbs and work a desk job
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Dorset, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 1,252
    Rep Power: 11281
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BecomingSmaller is offline
    You don’t have much wriggle room with 1300 calories, you could try dropping the protein powder and using natural sources of protein which will be more satiating.

    You could try IF to see if scheduling your food intake differently helps.

    However, getting used to feeling hungry is part of it as you get leaner. Keeping busy, and drinking when you are hungry can both help.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

    54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    OG Thread Killer lowkey122's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Age: 38
    Posts: 1,848
    Rep Power: 12152
    lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lowkey122 is offline
    Originally Posted by Tanyah21 View Post
    How do you guys keep your energy levels up? I feel like these meals keep me full for about 2-3 hours, then I get hungry and find myself wanting to snack. For the most part, I try not to, keeping that calorie deficit in mind.
    Any ideas? Tips? What foods keep you full for a long period of time?
    One of the big changes I had to make when really slimming down was to omit HIIT cardio from my daily routine. The reason being is the more intense your workouts are the hungrier you will be throughout the day. Your body doesn't know or even care that you're on a mission to look better, it thinks you're starving and sends the signal to your brain to eat.

    It's important to note that until you can get the scale moving without cardio then cardio is terribly ineffective for fat loss. It's only a powerful weight loss tool when you have calories down pat. So you should be able to modify your workouts to create a balance between hunger levels and continued weight loss through manipulating your intensity rather than going back to the drawing board and re-figuring up calories and macros all the time.

    I realized a huge difference in my daily energy levels from wanting to sleep all day long at work to being productive and also managing hunger levels from feeling like the starving kid on the infomercials to just being slightly hungry or not hungry at all while still being able to lose weight at a respectable rate simply from switching to LISS cardio. I ate about 1-2 lbs of chicken a day btw so protein was always top priority.
    "Luck" is probability taken personally

    Never accept a "No" from someone who wasn't empowered to give you a "Yes" in the first place
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User Tanyah21's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    Tanyah21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tanyah21 is offline
    Originally Posted by lowkey122 View Post
    One of the big changes I had to make when really slimming down was to omit HIIT cardio from my daily routine. The reason being is the more intense your workouts are the hungrier you will be throughout the day. Your body doesn't know or even care that you're on a mission to look better, it thinks you're starving and sends the signal to your brain to eat.

    It's important to note that until you can get the scale moving without cardio then cardio is terribly ineffective for fat loss. It's only a powerful weight loss tool when you have calories down pat. So you should be able to modify your workouts to create a balance between hunger levels and continued weight loss through manipulating your intensity rather than going back to the drawing board and re-figuring up calories and macros all the time.

    I realized a huge difference in my daily energy levels from wanting to sleep all day long at work to being productive and also managing hunger levels from feeling like the starving kid on the infomercials to just being slightly hungry or not hungry at all while still being able to lose weight at a respectable rate simply from switching to LISS cardio. I ate about 1-2 lbs of chicken a day btw so protein was always top priority.
    Thanks!! I was reading about HIIT vs LISS recently. I find LISS could be a bit boring which is why I've been sticking to HIIT but realized this can really kill muscle and maaaaaybe negating my strength training.
    Been fuelling on a lot of chicken and greens.

    HIIT = hangry
    LISS = bored and takes a long time

    Currently trying to be patient for this whole fat loss goal.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Tanyah21's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    Tanyah21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tanyah21 is offline
    Originally Posted by BecomingSmaller View Post
    You don’t have much wriggle room with 1300 calories, you could try dropping the protein powder and using natural sources of protein which will be more satiating.

    You could try IF to see if scheduling your food intake differently helps.

    However, getting used to feeling hungry is part of it as you get leaner. Keeping busy, and drinking when you are hungry can both help.
    Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by scheduling food intake? I eat around the same times every day.

    I feel that 1300 is a good goal for me at the moment considering i was eating about 1800-2000+ when I was not aware of the amount of calories in the foods I was eating
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User CidBone's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 232
    Rep Power: 303
    CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CidBone has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    CidBone is offline
    Find out what your real TDEE is and this is including, exercising, work, lifestyle etc.
    If your goal is to lose weight, you shouldn't eat back the calories you've burnt. Then you've just wasted time (in terms of losing weight, if it's for health reasons, ignore this!)
    Being on a deficit, it is very common to feel hungry. You either accept it, get used to it or eat low calorie foods (veggies and such) to fill your stomach up properly.
    Intermittent Fasting is another method that might help! Have your last meal, about an hour or two before you go to sleep, that way you don't have to sleep hungry.
    HIIT does not kill your gains and is meant to be done during a shorter time, look at any Sprinter.

    Hope that helps!
    Instagram: @CidBone - Fitness Guidance and Tips. My experiences and version.
    www.instagram.com/cidbone
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Dorset, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 1,252
    Rep Power: 11281
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BecomingSmaller is offline
    Originally Posted by Tanyah21 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by scheduling food intake? I eat around the same times every day.
    Read up on intermittent fasting, it’s not for me but some people find it helpful. It’s a way of scheduling your eating into a small window rather than spreading it throughout the day.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

    54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User Tanyah21's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    Tanyah21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tanyah21 is offline
    Originally Posted by BecomingSmaller View Post
    Read up on intermittent fasting, it’s not for me but some people find it helpful. It’s a way of scheduling your eating into a small window rather than spreading it throughout the day.
    Interesting, will do! thank you
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User Tanyah21's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    Tanyah21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tanyah21 is offline
    Originally Posted by CidBone View Post
    Find out what your real TDEE is and this is including, exercising, work, lifestyle etc.
    If your goal is to lose weight, you shouldn't eat back the calories you've burnt. Then you've just wasted time (in terms of losing weight, if it's for health reasons, ignore this!)
    Being on a deficit, it is very common to feel hungry. You either accept it, get used to it or eat low calorie foods (veggies and such) to fill your stomach up properly.
    Intermittent Fasting is another method that might help! Have your last meal, about an hour or two before you go to sleep, that way you don't have to sleep hungry.
    HIIT does not kill your gains and is meant to be done during a shorter time, look at any Sprinter.

    Hope that helps!
    That's very helpful! thanks for the advice!!
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User danetje112's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    danetje112 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    danetje112 is offline
    Intermitted fasting does the trick for me.
    Don't know what I'd do without it.
    I try to fast at least 16 hours a day. This way I actually feel like overeating the remaining 8.
    - Goal end of march 170 lbs -
    Jan 1, 2018 200 lbs -> starting my cut.
    Jan 27, 2018 weight 190.25 lbs
    Week 1: Friday 2nd February - 188.76 lbs
    Week 2: Friday 9th February - 185.63 lbs
    Week 3: Friday 16th February - 184.75 lbs
    Week 4: Friday 23th February
    Week 5: Friday 2nd March
    Week 6: Friday 9th March
    Week 7: Friday 16th March
    Week 8: Friday 23th March
    Week 9: Friday 30th March
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts