Samcasm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Should I go for a Keto Diet?

Hey everyone,

So I am quite obese with a lot of fat like tummy fat, chest fat, thigh fat, face fat, etc. So I decided I should do something about this and am soon going to join a gym and I went through a few diet plans. A friend of mine told me about the Keto Diet and how it could help me in reducing the fat and losing weight. I have a few questions about it including the whether or not I should go for the diet. The list of questions are:

Q. Is it harmful to the body in the long run?
    Q. Can it also backfire? Like instead of reducing weight, it makes me gain more.
    Q. How long to go with the diet?
    Q. If I reach my ideal weight and decide to stop the keto diet and follow some other diet, would my weight and body fat go back to how it was before?
    Q. As a vegetarian, what should I eat? (Don't judge me)
    Q. Should I actually go for the diet?
    Q. Is it safe for me to start the diet soon?

So, I am 18 years old, my height is around 5 foot 5 inches (yes I am small) and my weight is 89 kg or 196 lbs.

Please answer my questions!
    Thank you!

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Vegetarian 18 year old on a keto diet? No, not a good idea. A ketogenic diet is already restrictive. Combine it with vegetarian and there's not much left you can eat.

Any calorie deficit will help you lose weight. You do not need to restrict carbs for that.

Please read this: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3439001&page=1
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Vegetarian 18 year old on a keto diet? No, not a good idea. A ketogenic diet is already restrictive. Combine it with vegetarian and there's not much left you can eat.

Any calorie deficit will help you lose weight. You do not need to restrict carbs for that.
    Thank you for the quick reply and an extremely good explanation! I have a 1200 calorie diet that a doctor gave to me. I guess I will follow that. Also should I take any protein supplements like a pre-workout protein shake or post workout?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Samcasm View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply and an extremely good explanation! I have a 1200 calorie diet that a doctor gave to me. I guess I will follow that. Also should I take any protein supplements like a pre-workout protein shake or post workout?
    1200 calories is very low and it will make it hard to gain any muscle. Try 1700 first. Pick a good workout routine like Fierce 5 Novice routine.

You only need to eat 130 gram protein per day. If you can't reach that with normal food a supplement is a good idea.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1200 is way too low. A vegetarian going on a ketogenic diet will not have a fun time either, trust me. 1700 sounds more ideal if you're sedentary as Mrpb suggested.

The truth is that I want to lose weight fast. It would take a longer time with a 1700 calorie diet when compared to a 1200 calorie one.

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The truth is that I want to lose weight fast. It would take a longer time with a 1700 calorie diet when compared to a 1200 calorie one.
    That would be true if a decrease in NEAT and lower chance of adherence weren't things very likely to happen. The adherence is the real killer. Being vegetarian while trying to do an extremely low carb diet makes failure almost certain.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey everyone,

So I am quite obese with a lot of fat like tummy fat, chest fat, thigh fat, face fat, etc. So I decided I should do something about this and am soon going to join a gym and I went through a few diet plans. A friend of mine told me about the Keto Diet and how it could help me in reducing the fat and losing weight. I have a few questions about it including the whether or not I should go for the diet. The list of questions are:

Q. Is it harmful to the body in the long run? No.
    Q. Can it also backfire? Like instead of reducing weight, it makes me gain more. Yes if you eat more calories than you burn.
    Q. How long to go with the diet? Depends on your preferences and tollerances
    Q. If I reach my ideal weight and decide to stop the keto diet and follow some other diet, would my weight and body fat go back to how it was before? Yes if you eat more calories than you burn
    Q. As a vegetarian, what should I eat? (Don't judge me) Keto OR vegetarian, pick one, or neither, but not both
    Q. Should I actually go for the diet? if you insist on being vegetarian then no
    Q. Is it safe for me to start the diet soon? yes

So, I am 18 years old, my height is around 5 foot 5 inches (yes I am small) and my weight is 89 kg or 196 lbs.

Please answer my questions!
    Thank you!

You need to eat less calories than you burn per day. Keto isn't for you it sounds like. Just reduce calories.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lose weight slowly. 1 lb weekly. Lean people should lose 0.5 weekly, and obese can afford 2 lbs weekly. More than that and you will risk not being able to stick to the diet long term, your body will adjust quickly to starvation and start burning less and less calories for your daily activities, body even shuts off non essential functions like your adrenal glands and testosterone. You do NOT want that. Smaller caloric deficit = you can keep your diet going longer = more results = you get to keep more muscle etc..

Most people who lose weight very quickly gain it all back. You'll do better on 1700 calories.

1700 calories is not a lot. You need to weigh all your food to be accurate.

Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    Lose weight slowly. 1 lb weekly. Lean people should lose 0.5 weekly, and obese can afford 2 lbs weekly.
    Not sure if you noticed but he's 5'5 and 196 lb. Losing 1kg per week is fine.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 01-31-2018 at 11:36 PM.