mholland11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting IF and Keto - Can my diet be improved?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Could use some assistance as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I'm new to Keto and I'm not sure my diet is optimal for what I'm trying to achieve. Any advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated. All macros calculated using MyFitnessPal.

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch (1pm): 4 oz 73%/27% ground beef (measured before cooking), 3 Cups Spinach, 2 oz Goat Cheese, 1 can of premium breast chicken (10oz), 2 oz Olive Garden Light Italian Dressing, Fiber Supplement, Jym Testosterone Supplement, Monster Energy Zero Ultra (its my one vice)

Macros: Cal 850, Pro 68, Fat 49, Carb 19, Fiber 5, Net Carb 14

Snack (3-4pm): 2 cheese sticks, 1 med avocado

Macros: Cal 410, Pro 14, Fat 33, Carb 17, Fiber 10, Net Carb 7

Pre & Post-Workout (5:30pm&7:30pm): 1 scoop Assault Pre-workout, 2 scoops 3.1.2 BCAA, 2 scoops Celucor whey protein

Macros: Cal 130, Pro 25, Fat 2, Carb 6, Fiber 1, Net Carb 5

Dinner (8:30pm): 6 oz salmon (measured before cooking), 6 whole large eggs, 2 cheese sticks

Macros: Cal 790, Pro 85, Fat 48, Carb 8, Fiber 0, Net Carb 8

Snack(9:30pm): 2 scoops Celucor whey protein, 2 tbsp peanut butter

Macros: Cal 310, Pro 32, Fat 18, Carb 11, Fiber 3, Net Carb 8

Total Macros: Cal 2490, Pro 224, Fat 150, Carb 61, Fiber 19, Net Carb 42

I drink a lot of water throughout the day and sometimes mix in a dasani flavored sparking water to change it up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In short: too much protein, too much whey. BCAAs are useless. Please read the stickies.

What are your stats?

Why are you doing keto?
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

mholland11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    6'2 probably about 220. I was around 200, then seriously messed up my knee playing soccer which was my main source of cardio and I was out of the gym for a couple months, especially lower body. I know what I'm doing in the gym, I train hard and have proper form with all (probably most) of my exercises. The kitchen has always been where I lacked. I was diagnosed with depression in college and put on a lot of weight during that time and have never been able to get back to a sensible weight. I was stick thin in high school with little to no muscle, but I was always very athletic and still am, so lack of effort physically is never a factor.

I want to do keto because I've read that it's an extremely effective way to shed fat and it makes sense using fat as energy rather than carbs.

I'm not fat, but I'm not in "shape" necessarily. Like I look fine in clothing, but am not happy with what I see without.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mholland11 View Post
    I want to do keto because I've read that it's an extremely effective way to shed fat
    It isn't any more effective than eating a diet high in carbs. The only thing that sheds fat is a calorie deficit.

If you like eating a lot of fat and depriving yourself from carbs then keto is just for you. If you like eating carbs however it makes more sense to eat them.

and it makes sense using fat as energy rather than carbs.
    Not really as explosive performance is better when you eat carbs.

Also there's nothing magical about IF (a.k.a. skipping breakfast). It does not cause more fat loss than eating breakfast.

PS. 180 gram protein would be more than enough.

Registered User AndrewBrownKeto's Avatar
    AndrewBrownKeto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you want to do Keto, you'll need to cut your carbs. You'll want to go yourself under 30g carbs per day, ideally less is more to get you into ketosis. Mrpb is right as well, if you are looking to do Keto, you currently are eating way too much protein. To get into ketosis, you need to make sure that you are eating High Fat, Moderate Protein, and Low Carb. Right now, your diet is High Protein, Moderate Fat, Moderate (lower) carb.

A few items stick out immediately as well. If you are going to add salad dressing or processed foods to your diet, stay away from "Light,""Low Fat," )Low Carb" or any other modified options. Full fat is less processed and much better for you. Even though you are only using a small amount of dressing, switch to fatty oils and vinegar instead. You can add herbs and spices for flavor. Basically, with keto, you will be practicing clean eating. Anything processed will need to be removed from you diet.

It may be your only vice, but your Monster is going to throw you out of ketosis. If you chose Keto, you have many, many, foods you can eat, but you have to give up others. The sugar (Sugar substitutes in the zero carb case) are going to wreak havoc on your ketosis. If you are serious about keto, you will eventually have more energy, but you'll have to substitute coffee in the mean time.

Dasani Apple Flavored Sparkling Water has 20 net carbs. You pretty much have one choice of beverage on keto: water. To mix it up, add lemon for flavor.

You will want to get your carbs from natural sources, like vegetables, throughout the day.

Finally, if you are going to go keto, you CAN look at a small carb load right before and right after High intensity training. Look into the Targeted Ketogenic Diet. The main idea is that you are burning the carbs before they convert to glycogen.

snatale42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    It isn't any more effective than eating a diet high in carbs. The only thing that sheds fat is a calorie deficit.

If you like eating a lot of fat and depriving yourself from carbs then keto is just for you. If you like eating carbs however it makes more sense to eat them.
    "Depriving" LOL.

[QUOTE]Not really as explosive performance is better when you eat carbs.[/QUOTE[

That CAN be true but people who are truly fat adapted have very little issues. No shortage of people eating keto for years lifting and running marathons

Also there's nothing magical about IF (a.k.a. skipping breakfast). It does not cause more fat loss than eating breakfast.
    "Skipping breakfast" is hardly the definition of IF and it's advantages are do to lowered insulin not the lost calories of not having a breakfast. The only people who don't have good success with fasting are the people who go carb stupid during their eating times.

Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    That CAN be true but people who are truly fat adapted have very little issues. No shortage of people eating keto for years lifting and running marathons.
    Explosive performance is not running marathon's it's sprinting, and that's better with carbs.

"Skipping breakfast" is hardly the definition of IF
    Check the OP. He's skipping breakfast.

and it's advantages are do to lowered insulin
    Lower insulin doesn't automatically lead to more fat loss. Eating less calories leads to more fat loss.