jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000)

Question regarding push ups

So I've been losing weight/body fat for about 16 weeks now, down just shy of 32lbs, that's great.. been doing dumbbell and body weight exercises along with eating in a 1000cal/day deficit.

So my question:

Push ups... I'm getting better, went from being able to do 0 (ZERO), to being able to do 6, maybe 7 proper push ups with good form in one set. If I wanted to do more than that in a given day, is it advisable to do the 6-7 I can do a couple times throughout the day, or should I be letting the muscles rest and come back to it tomorrow?

I did 5 good ones last night, then about 15 mins later I could squeeze out another 6 after some rest. Today, DOMS in my pectorals is very noticeable (which I don't mind, "it hurts so good", ya know?) I'm unsure if push ups can be done in sets throughout the day, or if it is better to do the sets in the same workout session if possible.

35yo, 5'9", 203lbs.

Thanks!

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do sets

So do 5, rest for up to a minute do another 5

Then work up number of reps and number of sets

When it gets too easy adapt the push up

It’s about progressive resistance

Registered User michaelbrianinc's Avatar
    michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would like to add if you want to get stronger, increase time under tension and do less reps..

So if your max right now is 6 with proper form, you're probably doing a 1-1 count.. 1 second down, 1 second back up.

You can do a 2-1-1 count. 2 seconds during the lower, 1 second pause rest, explode back up.

If you want to do more you can try doing 3 reps for higher sets... So let's say 3 reps for 8 sets total.. That's 24 reps total volume vs. 1-2 sets maxing out at 6 reps each..

Little by little you can add more reps while lowering the sets to achieve the volume you aim for. .

Since I am not so great with pull ups, I stretch my sets and do less reps making sure it's all quality without getting fatigue so quickly. I'll do anywhere from 3-5 reps for 4-5 sets.

For you, rest times can go up to 90-120 seconds (1.5-2 min) between sets. This way you give your muscles time to rejuvenate for some more quality sets.

Make sense?

jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000) jasondjulian is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's all great advice, thank you both, that really helps!

And yes, Michael, it makes sense. You are right about my counts during tension as well. I'll give this a go this evening and see what I can do. I want to push myself and develop some actual muscle strength, but I want to do it properly and not get sloppy either.

Thanks again. Also welcoming any additional comments as well. I do listen and appreciate the tips.

zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
    So I've been losing weight/body fat for about 16 weeks now, down just shy of 32lbs, that's great.. been doing dumbbell and body weight exercises along with eating in a 1000cal/day deficit.

So my question:

Push ups... I'm getting better, went from being able to do 0 (ZERO), to being able to do 6, maybe 7 proper push ups with good form in one set. If I wanted to do more than that in a given day, is it advisable to do the 6-7 I can do a couple times throughout the day, or should I be letting the muscles rest and come back to it tomorrow?

I did 5 good ones last night, then about 15 mins later I could squeeze out another 6 after some rest. Today, DOMS in my pectorals is very noticeable (which I don't mind, "it hurts so good", ya know?) I'm unsure if push ups can be done in sets throughout the day, or if it is better to do the sets in the same workout session if possible.

35yo, 5'9", 203lbs.

Thanks!
    Check this out, I know it is for pull-ups but the concept is the same. http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Do...iningGuide.pdf

I would do more sub-maximal sets throughout the day. If you reach failure at 6-7 then just do lots of sets of 2-3 reps throughout the day. You will be able to do more reps overall this way because it keeps fatigue lower. You can do a ton of volume this way and not get burnt out. Do a test every week or so and adjust your training set number.

michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaelbrianinc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
    That's all great advice, thank you both, that really helps!

And yes, Michael, it makes sense. You are right about my counts during tension as well. I'll give this a go this evening and see what I can do. I want to push myself and develop some actual muscle strength, but I want to do it properly and not get sloppy either.

Thanks again. Also welcoming any additional comments as well. I do listen and appreciate the tips.
    Just remember - strength reps are between 3-5 per set. This is usually more slow and controlled focusing on the movement and activating that mind to muscle connection. They the 2-1-1 count and increase sets as needed. Then in about 2 weeks, test your rep max on one set with your original 1-1 count. See if your max has increased. If not, than it might be an improper form issue or you're lacking on the mind muscle connection to engage the intended muscles to work.

fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't forget about: diamond, plyo, single-arm, elevated, and increase the ROM.
    Crossfit = A LOT of doctor visits.

Originally Posted by zGwild View Post
    Check this out, I know it is for pull-ups but the concept is the same. <URL Omitted>

I would do more sub-maximal sets throughout the day. If you reach failure at 6-7 then just do lots of sets of 2-3 reps throughout the day. You will be able to do more reps overall this way because it keeps fatigue lower. You can do a ton of volume this way and not get burnt out. Do a test every week or so and adjust your training set number.
    Originally Posted by michaelbrianinc View Post
    Just remember - strength reps are between 3-5 per set. This is usually more slow and controlled focusing on the movement and activating that mind to muscle connection. They the 2-1-1 count and increase sets as needed. Then in about 2 weeks, test your rep max on one set with your original 1-1 count. See if your max has increased. If not, than it might be an improper form issue or you're lacking on the mind muscle connection to engage the intended muscles to work.
    Love it, thanks!

I think I know what I can do going forward now.

Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
    Don't forget about: diamond, plyo, single-arm, elevated, and increase the ROM.
    He is far from that level of suggestion.. Little steps first.. Can't go from 6 reps max to doing diamonds or plyo push-ups lol.

I say within the next few weeks he will be able to improve and get himself up to at least 10 reps per set with proper form. As his volume increases and his weight continues to drop, he can then move on to other variations.

3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3Reich is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    He is far from that level of suggestion.. Little steps first.. Can't go from 6 reps max to doing diamonds or plyo push-ups lol.

I say within the next few weeks he will be able to improve and get himself up to at least 10 reps per set with proper form. As his volume increases and his weight continues to drop, he can then move on to other variations.
    Excellent advise my man. And OP, love your attitude. Keep going bro.
    HTC crew checking in (LTC, skinny bishes, BBW's, thicc chicks all welcome)

Manchester United 4life

Snailrus Crew

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do ladders to get some volume.
    Like 1-2-3-4-5 or anything in-between.
    Try to shoot for a certain volume without burning yourself out and vary the volume maybe 3-4 days a week.
    You'll find that you'll become efficient at push ups and be able to increase your max rep numbers eventually.
    Also you can do as mentioned and "grease the groove" doing a few easy push ups through out the day and increase volume that way without burning out.
    I would search"push up ladders" and "greasing the groove"to help you.
    These are techniques Pavel Tsatsouline using in his training methods.
    Good luck.

Originally Posted by 3Reich View Post
    Excellent advise my man. And OP, love your attitude. Keep going bro.
    Thank you sir! I appreciate it.

I strictly workout with calisthenics and know what has worked for me, especially with push-ups. I've managed to hit my first session with weighted diamonds on Monday. Regular diamonds are not easy. I can get decent volume out of them.

Pyramids and ladders work wonders too as Garage Rat suggested. There are so many ways to improve rather quickly.

shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50) shawnrc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are many routes you can go on actually to improve push ups.

If you want to do pushups throughout the day, then you would want to use the grease the groove technique. And if your maxing 6 at the moment, your sets should probably stay to 2 at a time. Maybe 3 only for the first one or 2 sets of the day. In grease the groove, you don't want to get tired from it.

Or, during your normal training you can do a st short of failure, say 5. Then rest maybe 3 or 4 minutes. At 6 max, it is still very much a strength move for you, so the longer rest times will be very beneficial for you there until you can do more.

And for increasing them, I would say treat reps and sets similar to a weight lifting exercise. For example 3x4. Then when the gets easier, 3x5, then 3x6.

At your level, push ups are a fantastic exercise, and can deliver a lot of benefits. Keep up the good work on them!
    Max/goal
    Paused bench 305/325
    Squats 410/415
    Deadlift 495/500
    Overhead BB press 185/225

Originally Posted by shawnrc View Post
    There are many routes you can go on actually to improve push ups.

If you want to do pushups throughout the day, then you would want to use the grease the groove technique. And if your maxing 6 at the moment, your sets should probably stay to 2 at a time. Maybe 3 only for the first one or 2 sets of the day. In grease the groove, you don't want to get tired from it.

Or, during your normal training you can do a st short of failure, say 5. Then rest maybe 3 or 4 minutes. At 6 max, it is still very much a strength move for you, so the longer rest times will be very beneficial for you there until you can do more.

And for increasing them, I would say treat reps and sets similar to a weight lifting exercise. For example 3x4. Then when the gets easier, 3x5, then 3x6.

At your level, push ups are a fantastic exercise, and can deliver a lot of benefits. Keep up the good work on them!
    Love all the help! (Can't quote everyone, but thank you to all who posted). I will fully take all of this to heart and mind and research what has been suggested. I've been working with some of the earlier suggestions and by George if they don't ALL work!

And you're right Shawn, they are very much a strength move for me... it takes quite a bit of effort, but going down slower on a 2 count and holding at the bottom seems to really get the muscles going. I can sure feel it for days afterwards.

I do need to start keeping a log though, trying to remember what I did and how many is too hard.

Good work! I love doing holds at the bottom really squeezing my hands together like I’m trying to push the floor and then exploding up. I’d rather do 10 solid reps of that vs 20+ reps in a single set.

A marble notebook does it for me. Simple inexpensive and effective. I can’t track on my phone like some people.. that would not be consistent and it would be distracting to use it during my workout.

Notebook on the table. Each time I have a set break I go write down the reps. At the end of my work out I will then count all reps from every exercise to get the total volume. This allows me to see if I’ve improved also. Funny thing is, some circuit workouts I do with less exercises I end up voluming out more than expected.

Last workout I was shy of 200 reps total. Hit 184. But each session I’ve seemed to increase reps. And while I do this I also pay attention to how easy some exercises feel so I choose harder variations.

My rule of thumb is if I can do 12 reps for 3 sets fairly easily, than its time to pick something more challenging.

These days I stick to feet elevated and diamond push-ups. Both are getting easier so I actually wore my weighted vest with 20 extra lbs. diamonds were not easy with that. Weight made it more challenging plus it was hard for me to get the squeeze as the vest was a bit in the way lol.

Continue the tempo that you’re on using the 2 count and holds. After a few sessions of that switch it up a little and throw in a day or two of the 1-1-1 count to get those reps in at an up down pace. Go for max reps, NOT failure but a rep or two shy of failure. Rest two minutes then do another set the same. You’ll start to test yourself to see how you’re getting stronger and slowly your max reps will increase.

Keep it up!

HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure you are doing inverted rows to prevent muscular Imbalance.

Originally Posted by HalfRightFACE View Post
    Make sure you are doing inverted rows to prevent muscular Imbalance.

Good suggestion - My concern with this might be his current weight and can pose this exercise to be difficult.

A few options he can consider would be DB rows or BW renegade rows focusing on squeezing his lats in the up position.

Australian pull ups would be great if he has access to a bar where the height is more adjustable and he can make it easier or harder based on the leverage.

But solid suggestion as it's important to work both sides of the body.

At some point he can even superset them and build up more volume and strength.

zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    He could get some bands and do these

I do them overhead to get more external rotation. Also do band pull aparts.

Good one! He can also use a towel at home around a pole or some stair rails or even do them off the door frame.

Good one! He can also use a towel at home around a pole or some stair rails or even do them off the door frame.
    Are these essentially the "pull" to the "push" up? Opposite direction using muscles in the other orientation? I like this idea. They almost seem easier than the traditional push up (understanding that they do not replace them).

I currently have access to resistance bands, all the dumbbell weights I can physically handle, weighted jump rope, and tons of cardio equipment. This without joining a gym at the moment. This equipment is either at home or in the fitness room at work, available for my use M-F.

When doing pull ups, I've assisted with a chair out in front me and using only the min. amount of leg power needed to get the rep done. Push ups, no such assisting.

I'll try these all out and give it a few weeks to see how it goes. I feel optimistic.

this is pretty much the pull to the push-up

You just want to make sure you are getting in work for your back. If you are working on chins/pull-ups that is good as well. Doing the inverted row should help your pull-ups/chin by strengthening your back.

danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50) danki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Already a lot of good advise here, but I'll add a few points.

Push-up strength primarily depends on the strength of you chest, triceps, and shoulders as well as your core strength. If your pressing muscles are strong enough but your core can't keep you from sagging then you won't be able to maximize your performance.

If your DB bench is above 60s-70s for 8-12 at your weight then I'd say your core is definitely a limiting factor. If your DB bench is under this, then all around strength is the issue

A few good ways to work the core for this would be, planks held for 30-45 seconds, RKC planks, and farmers walks.

In addition, make sure you are doing some vertical pressing. I prefer standing single DB press. Works your core also.

Curious to how your progress is coming along with your push-ups. .

What's the status?