ohhimark is on a distinguished road. (+10)

First day as a PT, what was it like?

Hi,

I'm hopefully starting my first job as a personal trainer in a commercial gym but a little nervous on the first few days, at least in an office job you can crack on with whatever software you're working with and look busy but as a PT I don't want to be walking around like a headless chicken, keep putting away weights that make me look like I have OCD or looking like I have nothing to do.

Talking to clients is obviously a big one, but generally how was your first day and what did you do?

Cheers

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, it was induction, so I filled out paperwork, listened to manager speeches about a bunch of sht I forgot ten minutes later, and did some cleaning.

In the days following I started on with my plan: every day, speak to one new person, and every day, teach someone to squat or deadlift. "Hi, I'm Kyle, I'm new here at the gym and getting to know people -" got me through the first three months and first 100 people.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Well, it was induction, so I filled out paperwork, listened to manager speeches about a bunch of sht I forgot ten minutes later, and did some cleaning.

In the days following I started on with my plan: every day, speak to one new person, and every day, teach someone to squat or deadlift. "Hi, I'm Kyle, I'm new here at the gym and getting to know people -" got me through the first three months and first 100 people.
    Thanks Kyle, I plan on mentioning to people about being new as an icebreaker. Good call on teaching people technique!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly, you're a bit ahead of yourself. You've obviously missed the first part. What you should do is,

1. hire a trainer, and set moderately ambitious goals that'll take 6-12 months to achieve and involve some setbacks. If you think PT is worth doing and paying for, why aren't you doing it? Going through this process will give you some insights on how a client feels before, during and after a session, what works and what doesn't, etc.

2. every day, talk to someone new, then go and write whatever they told you in a little book so you'll remember, and can talk to them next time, "Hi Jen, how was that weekend in Noosa? How's that knee coming along?" After 12 months you'll have talked to at least 200 new people, you should now have some insights about how to talk to people, who welcomes it and who doesn't, and who you get along well with.

3. Pick a movement, any movement, and every day teach someone that movement. Squat, plank, leg press, whatever. After 12 months, you'll have taught the movement to at least 200 people, and you will have figured out if the movement is useful, and if so for whom, and will have figured out some ways to teach it, and the insights you get from teaching that one movement will have carryover to others, eg "the way they hold their trunk in the plank is actually the way I'd like them to hold it during deadlifts."

Combine this with some official gym appointments introducing newbies to the gym, and in two years you'll have spoken to or coached the movement of over 1,000 different people. At least 50 of those 1,000 people will have asked you to give them some personal training.

Honestly, you're a bit ahead of yourself. You've obviously missed the first part. What you should do is,

1. hire a trainer, and set moderately ambitious goals that'll take 6-12 months to achieve and involve some setbacks. If you think PT is worth doing and paying for, why aren't you doing it? Going through this process will give you some insights on how a client feels before, during and after a session, what works and what doesn't, etc.

2. every day, talk to someone new, then go and write whatever they told you in a little book so you'll remember, and can talk to them next time, "Hi Jen, how was that weekend in Noosa? How's that knee coming along?" After 12 months you'll have talked to at least 200 new people, you should now have some insights about how to talk to people, who welcomes it and who doesn't, and who you get along well with.

3. Pick a movement, any movement, and every day teach someone that movement. Squat, plank, leg press, whatever. After 12 months, you'll have taught the movement to at least 200 people, and you will have figured out if the movement is useful, and if so for whom, and will have figured out some ways to teach it, and the insights you get from teaching that one movement will have carryover to others, eg "the way they hold their trunk in the plank is actually the way I'd like them to hold it during deadlifts."

Combine this with some official gym appointments introducing newbies to the gym, and in two years you'll have spoken to or coached the movement of over 1,000 different people. At least 50 of those 1,000 people will have asked you to give them some personal training.
    I currently have a strength coach which actually helped out a lot with approaching certain techniques and just general interacting. I'll be taking note of the above.

Appreciate the help Kyle, I'm aware of you from searches on the forum so thanks for the contributions .

goMattehr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First day as a PT was kind of like getting thrown to the wolves. But it was fun.

robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) robdiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by goMattehr View Post
    First day as a PT was kind of like getting thrown to the wolves. But it was fun.
    I've been a Trainer for 3 and a half months, before that I worked at the desk and told people how to use machines. I honestly don't think many people who are just starting as a trainer have the money to hire a trainer and learn from that experience. So honestly, my advice is to just talk to everyone get some consultations, if you get paid for them book as many as you can. If you get paid for a free session, then book 1 with everyone you can. I worked in retail my whole life, I had no idea how to implement what I learned in school and in the books. You could pass the ACSM but until you actually work with clients it's meaningless.

Your first day is going to be weird, when you get clients you will be afraid youre going to hurt them. Trust your instincts, you're the pro

Strongspeed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Strongspeed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Strongspeed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Strongspeed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I asked a trainer who i was freinds with while a member of the gym-

"So man i can see you're one of the busiest personal trainers and I really like your training style. I'd appreciate any advice you've got for me as a new trainer"

Him-
    *pulls out phone and starts playing candy crusher*
    "It's a dog eat dog world"

bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebarbell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great advice, thanks.