Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The start to something - My journey.

What’s up guys! My names Michael, 25 years of age, from the Uk - wales

So, been training on an off for around 6-10 months now, not very consistent, mainly due to lack of motivation, but the passed 2 months or so, I’ve disciplined myself a lot better ! Over the course of around 4 years, I’ve lost over 3 and a half stone, mainly diet and cardio, so now it’s time to start body building, creating a physique I’ve only ever dreamed of having!

My starting point was 18 stone
    At the age of 21

And my current physique after the weight loss aged 25, weighing around 14stone 5lbs
    I still have a large stomach, and fat around my chest, which just will not budge !

Recently started fierce 5 intermediate upper/lower (yesterday) so this will be my progress tracking area, and hopefully you guys will support me, and help me along the way, as well as joining me in my journey!

My goals are to obviously lose more fat, then gain muscle , for that ‘aesthetic look’, a long time coming, and a long way to go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utfvgzym2y...2028.jpeg?dl=0

Thanks guys

Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mjf26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Added this progress page into my signature too
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175279441

SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll
    "a long time coming, and a long way to go" - you obviously understand that this will be a long process! That amazing physique you are looking for? That's going to take at least 5 years.

Your progress thus far is good. Keep at it.

I started off similar to you at age 16, 15 stone, 5'11, wet. After ~7 years of training, at age 22, I'm 13 stone of dry, rock solid muscle. This sh*t takes time.

One thing I can suggest, which may seem small, but should give you some great motivation, is to wear a tank top to the gym (if you don't already) to expose as much of your physique as possible. Show off what you have now, see yourself in the mirror - own those fat rolls! Keep trying to perfect your physique. With time, you'll start to lose the fat, you'll look better in the mirror, people will start to notice and it will be an amazing confidence boost.

For me personally, I still use this technique to stay motivated. When I'm feeling a little flat, I'll wear a tank top during my workout and admire my physique (homo?) in the mirror. It keeps me going. When I started off and I was fat, I would wear a tank to see my own chub and push ever harder to get rid of it.

Keep posting progress photos to stay on track.
    Last edited by SetOfAll; 01-17-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks man! Yeah I completely understand it’s going to take a long old time, will do mate, will be posting one today , look pretty ‘fluffy’ today for some reason.

Never thought of wearing a tank tbh due to the chub, and showing it off, but will definitely try that out !

Today’s lifts included
    Squat - 100kg for 3 sets of 5
    Leg press - 3 sets of 8 at 150kg
    Back extensions - 3 sets of 8 with 10kg plate
    Leg curl - 45kg 3 sets of 10
    Calf raises - 3 sets of 10 at 60kg
    Ab crunches 3 sets of 15 , supersetted with the above calf raises

SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll SetOfAll
    Originally Posted by Mjf26 View Post
    Thanks man! Yeah I completely understand it’s going to take a long old time, will do mate, will be posting one today , look pretty ‘fluffy’ today for some reason.

Never thought of wearing a tank tbh due to the chub, and showing it off, but will definitely try that out !

Today’s lifts included
    Squat - 100kg for 3 sets of 5
    Leg press - 3 sets of 8 at 150kg
    Back extensions - 3 sets of 8 with 10kg plate
    Leg curl - 45kg 3 sets of 10
    Calf raises - 3 sets of 10 at 60kg
    Ab crunches 3 sets of 15 , supersetted with the above calf raises
    Comments on your leg/core workout:

1. Your still a novice and so 100 kg for 5 reps seems quite high. How is your form? Those who know how to lift squat ass-to-grass. I doubt you're squatting ass-to-grass. Range of motion in all exercises is key to building fully developed and flexible muscle. It is difficult to squat ass-to-grass properly as it really requires great mind-body connection between core and all leg muscles, especially when you are below parallel. It also needs some instruction to get right. My rule of thumb is that if someone can't ass-to-grass squat 4 plates (180kg), then take their advice with a grain of salt - they are not advanced enough. You would be better suited to lift for 3 x 10 reps. You are strength training with 3 x 5. It is difficult to tell, but I estimate that you could squat ~85 kg for 10 reps, as you are lifting now and about 60-70kg ass-to-grass for 10 reps.

I know it's hard, but put the ego aside and lift less weight, for the sake of building a stronger body.

2. Leg press is OK, but I think it's an exercise only of use if you are trying to isolate hamstrings or quads. The range of motion is very poor compared to the barbell squat (because your back is fixed in the leg press, which is not true for the barbell squat). I haven't leg pressed for years.

3. This one is not too important, but I would isolate your calf muscles. Use a step and a dumbell, and hit each calf one at a time. In general, isolation is key to building a balanced physique because one side of your body can dominate if you are not completely in tune with your body while lifting. Isolate as much as possible.

4. Maybe consider having a single day just for core. Core strength is typically overlooked, and very few people train core enough. Remember that the only rigid structure supporting your upper body is your spine! All other support comes from your core muscles. My 1RM on squat is currently stalled at ~145 kg because my core is not strong enough to support my upper body throughout the squat motion. I end up slightly tipping forward at the bottom of the squat and I find it difficult to come back up properly. I'm currently focusing on going heavy on core day.

This is just some food for thought.

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by SetOfAll View Post
    Comments on your leg/core workout:

1. Your still a novice and so 100 kg for 5 reps seems quite high. How is your form? Those who know how to lift squat ass-to-grass. I doubt you're squatting ass-to-grass. Range of motion in all exercises is key to building fully developed and flexible muscle. It is difficult to squat ass-to-grass properly as it really requires great mind-body connection between core and all leg muscles, especially when you are below parallel. It also needs some instruction to get right. My rule of thumb is that if someone can't ass-to-grass squat 4 plates (180kg), then take their advice with a grain of salt - they are not advanced enough. You would be better suited to lift for 3 x 10 reps. You are strength training with 3 x 5. It is difficult to tell, but I estimate that you could squat ~85 kg for 10 reps, as you are lifting now and about 60-70kg ass-to-grass for 10 reps.

I know it's hard, but put the ego aside and lift less weight, for the sake of building a stronger body.

2. Leg press is OK, but I think it's an exercise only of use if you are trying to isolate hamstrings or quads. The range of motion is very poor compared to the barbell squat (because your back is fixed in the leg press, which is not true for the barbell squat). I haven't leg pressed for years.

3. This one is not too important, but I would isolate your calf muscles. Use a step and a dumbell, and hit each calf one at a time. In general, isolation is key to building a balanced physique because one side of your body can dominate if you are not completely in tune with your body while lifting. Isolate as much as possible.

4. Maybe consider having a single day just for core. Core strength is typically overlooked, and very few people train core enough. Remember that the only rigid structure supporting your upper body is your spine! All other support comes from your core muscles. My 1RM on squat is currently stalled at ~145 kg because my core is not strong enough to support my upper body throughout the squat motion. I end up slightly tipping forward at the bottom of the squat and I find it difficult to come back up properly. I'm currently focusing on going heavy on core day.

This is just some food for thought.
    You have to understand that some people simply cannot squat ass to grass, it isn’t always necessary either. For example, if I go ass to grass I start having back issues, so getting to parallel or a bit below is perfectly fine. Muscle is built perfectly fine as long as you get to parallel

Originally Posted by MBoux2000 View Post
    You have to understand that some people simply cannot squat ass to grass, it isn’t always necessary either. For example, if I go ass to grass I start having back issues, so getting to parallel or a bit below is perfectly fine. Muscle is built perfectly fine as long as you get to parallel
    If you get back pain from ass-to-grass squatting, you are probably losing control of your torso during the bottom (sub-parallel) part of the movement.

The "inability" to squat ass-to-grass is due to poor form and/or flexibility (except for a very, very small number of people with literal deformities).

If you are getting back pain, you need to drop the weight (to ensure perfect form), build your core strength and regularly deep stretch to improve flexibility. I got very mild back soreness from squats a few months ago when I was going ATG 120 kg, 6 reps. I wasn't strong enough for that yet, and my form was poor.

I can pretty much guarantee that you are "winking" at the bottom of ass-to-grass squats, hence causing your pain.

If you want to become a lifter/bodybuilder, then go to parallel or even above that. Strength is built either way. But, if you want a true athletic body, then you need full range of motion.
    Last edited by SetOfAll; 01-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.

I’m following a structured programme, fierce 5 upper/lower, so that’s what’s in the programme.

Yes 100kg ATG , I’d never squat any differently , my legs are my strongest part, secondly Is back, I played rugby as a youngster , so legs were a priority, also rode push bikes for years, but yeah 100kg is ass to grass

I’m following a structured programme, fierce 5 upper/lower, so that’s what’s in the programme.

Yes 100kg ATG , I’d never squat any differently , my legs are my strongest part, secondly Is back, I played rugby as a youngster , so legs were a priority, also rode push bikes for years, but yeah 100kg is ass to grass
    Nice! You clearly have plenty of residual strength from previous sport. I probably should not have assumed you have no previous strength/sports training, especially at age 25. I've never seen with my own eyes anyone in their first year ATG 100 kg properly, for reps, so kudos.

Haha, the friend I train with also said that, but he’s a power lifter, so constantly pushing me hard and correcting me on my form etc , thanks bud ! Appreciate the support!

So this is technically day 4, as the photo up there was day one, this current one is today,
    As I said yesterday, feeling fluffy and looking bloated, currently weighing 14 stone and 3lbs

Today is a rest day, as my routine is 2 days on one rest, 2 days on, and so forth...

What body fat % would you say I was ? Estimation of course ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9rt1d1tu8...2045.jpeg?dl=0

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by SetOfAll View Post
    If you get back pain from ass-to-grass squatting, you are probably losing control of your torso during the bottom (sub-parallel) part of the movement.

The "inability" to squat ass-to-grass is due to poor form and/or flexibility (except for a very, very small number of people with literal deformities).

If you are getting back pain, you need to drop the weight (to ensure perfect form), build your core strength and regularly deep stretch to improve flexibility. I got very mild back soreness from squats a few months ago when I was going ATG 120 kg, 6 reps. I wasn't strong enough for that yet, and my form was poor.

I can pretty much guarantee that you are "winking" at the bottom of ass-to-grass squats, hence causing your pain.

If you want to become a lifter/bodybuilder, then go to parallel or even above that. Strength is built either way. But, if you want a true athletic body, then you need full range of motion.
    You can’t really say much about my squats when you haven’t actually seen them, but I’ve been checked by a sports physio before and they said that for building strength and muscle parallel is generally sufficient. Everyone works differently though. I definitely know you shouldn’t go above parallel, but I typically get to parallel or just below and I’ve been progressing in terms of strength.

My back issue is basically significant tightness in the lower back muscles which I am working on fixing so I can eventually get lower down, but for now I’ve just been doing parallel squats while I work on mobility.

My back pain is actually a lot better now than it used to be several months ago. It’s improved significantly as I improved my core strength.

needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500) needmoargains is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Post a form check video. @Mboux

So this is technically day 4, as the photo up there was day one, this current one is today,
    As I said yesterday, feeling fluffy and looking bloated, currently weighing 14 stone and 3lbs

Today is a rest day, as my routine is 2 days on one rest, 2 days on, and so forth...

What body fat % would you say I was ? Estimation of course ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9rt1d1tu8...2045.jpeg?dl=0
    You could go an get a CT scan which can determine, to a high degree of accuracy, the distribution of fat around your body. Just say it was 25%, 30% or 35%, what would that change? It's just a number, and of anything, a distraction.

Your focus needs to be on building muscle and losing fat (which will happen at the same time, effectively). Not once in my 7 years of lifting have I known my BF%. Who cares what the actual numbers are?

One problem for later down the track will be loose skin. In the next year or two, you may get down to a BF% that is low enough - low enough to technically to see great ab definition - but you don't see what you expect. Loose skin is to blame here. That's a conversation for another day, and it shouldn't be too extreme for you (as neither was it for me).

If you want, I'll PM you my "before and after" pics if you want to see what's within your scope, physique-wise, for some extra motivation!
    Last edited by SetOfAll; 01-20-2018 at 03:37 AM.

One REALLY important question: Are you taking protein shakes?

Yes please mate, if you could do that it would be great!

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP- I would cut until you're about 180lbs. That should be a good place for you to reverse course and lean bulk.

At your weight, you can cut up to 2lbs/week w/o worrying about losing much (if any) muscle. Some people prefer to cut slower (1-1.5lbs/week) to try and build muscle during the cut, but I personally would cut faster and get it over with sooner.

Sounds like you're well on your way.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

I don’t use shakes, never have really, would you suggest them?

And if so, what would you recommend.

And if so, what would you recommend.
    OK, two parts:

1. Why you probably need protein shakes:

Without protein shakes, it is likely you will be deficient in protein, for your requirements. I've lost the study [but I'll find it if you want; US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), I think], but a woman, aged 50, who does not exercise, needs 53 grams of protein per day. You are a male, in his 20's, that weightlifts with super-high intensity (i.e 5x5 lifting routine etc...). You'll need well in excess of 100g of protein per day. You'll probably need 0.6 to 0.7 (even up to 0.8-1.0, maximum) grams of protein per lb of body weight.

At, say 200lb, that means you'll need 150+g of protein in a day. That's AT LEAST 30g of protein per meal, at 5 meals per day. That's a lot of food you need to eat to get that sort of intake. To make it worse, natural, high protein foods usually carry a lot of "baggage", like eggs, red meats, nuts etc.. which also have quite a bit of fat.

The solution to this is protein shakes. They are easy to make, taste great and contain very little other than proteins.

I only started taking protein shakes again recently after stopping for years (last 6 months) and the gains have some in quick and fast! I was lacking in protein, big time.

2. What type of protein shakes to take:
    I stand by avoiding whey protein. Whey protein is sourced from cow milk. The combinations of proteins is not made for humans, and I don't think we really should be consuming these products (which, by extension, means any dairy product).

When I started off, I used whey protein. Two scoops a day would wreck me. Six months ago I started taking plant-based protein powders (sourced from peas, brown rice, quinoa, chia seeds, amaranth etc...). I can take 4+ scoops a day with very little to no problems.

Try both if you want. I think in the end, plant-based proteins are definitely the way to go.

Also, I PM'd you my before and after, as requested.

Can’t seem to find the Pm mate, where did you send it ? , the friend I train with swears by vegan/plant based protein powders too!

rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rgoede098 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You dont need shakes. Read some labels and do some math
    I easily hit 200 gram a day from planning ahead
    everyone has convinced each other it's somehow a necessity.
    Creatine however is not so easy to get without supplements
    I think where people go wrong could be complex carbs and fats.

Originally Posted by rgoede098 View Post
    You dont need shakes. Read some labels and do some math
    I easily hit 200 gram a day from planning ahead
    everyone has convinced each other it's somehow a necessity.
    Creatine however is not so easy to get without supplements
    I think where people go wrong could be complex carbs and fats.
    Not everyone's life can revolve 100% around diet/cooking and training. The vast majority of people cannot sustain a diet with 200 g of protein from natural foods. Sometimes you only have 1/2 hour at home after a workout before work/university. I haven't got time to spend 1 hour cooking/cleaning, say, chicken or something else, or shopping all the time to make sure I have the right ingredients.

Can’t seem to find the Pm mate, where did you send it ? , the friend I train with swears by vegan/plant based protein powders too!
    Check again, it should be there!