ym108 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile New to power cleans - critique on form requested

Hi all,

I've just started to include power cleans into my workout around a week ago, and I'm currently focussing on trying to get the correct form down as much as possible before I start progressing up.

I would highly appreciate any critique and feedback on my form!

Please check out my video: copy and paste this: youtu.be/bG9AEnb3BOk

I'm doing 5 reps of 37.5kg. I'm currently jumping a little bit backwards, and I'm not sure whether that's bad, and how to correct it.

Thanks!

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like pretty good form and mobility to me!

I was thinking, "Needs a better angle" but then you asked your cameraman to move anyway haha.

I'd maybe say to work on "catching" the bar on your clavicles, with your elbows extended forward and wrists back in the clean position in one movement rather than "catching" it in your hands and then sorta placing it into the clean position if you see what I mean? You may need to drop under the bar just a little more to achieve this.

Overall looks good though!
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

ym108 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Haha yes, at first I wanted to see if the bar was travelling in a vertical line, then wanted overall view ^_^

Yeah I completely see what you're saying - will work on improving that. Thank you very much for your time and feedback!

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ym108 View Post
    Hi all,

I've just started to include power cleans into my workout around a week ago, and I'm currently focussing on trying to get the correct form down as much as possible before I start progressing up.

I would highly appreciate any critique and feedback on my form!

Please check out my video: copy and paste this: youtu.be/bG9AEnb3BOk

I'm doing 5 reps of 37.5kg. I'm currently jumping a little bit backwards, and I'm not sure whether that's bad, and how to correct it.

Thanks!
    "Every time that a bro “jumps and shrugs” or deadlifts the barbell and then reverse curls it, a dolphin is run over by a Jet Ski; help the ocean be a better place and learn the power clean correctly with this tutorial, bro."

Read and heed: http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/09/ma...e-power-clean/

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMcxK-SQbU&t=180s Try imitiating Yury's pull, he's a guy with longer legs so it should be more applicable than other lifters.

You'll want to pull off the floor until the bar passes your knees, after which you bend them forward and pull your shoulders back until the bar reaches your power point (usually mid thigh, but it depends on your build and preference.) After that, extend your knees, ankes and pull back. Personally, I don't like power cleans because they give my knees trouble, though I know many people value them for building speed and power.

As said above, the clean isn't a jump, you're just extending to give it height and pulling yourself under it. I think it looks like many people jump, but in reality it's a stomp to get to the ground faster. Takes awhile to get the right form, try focusing on one element until you master it and then move onto the next (such as the knee re-bend and thigh contact.)

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ym108,

I finally got around to watching your video. The clean is an explosion of the hips and you're not exploding with the hips. Follow the instruction at the link I posted and ignore everything about bending and pulling and extending when the bar gets to knee height (I fear this is why Gwybodaeth has knee trouble with cleans.). All that happens automatically without a thought and as a consequence of the explosion.

noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noxcuses08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    ym108,

I finally got around to watching your video. The clean is an explosion of the hips and you're not exploding with the hips. Follow the instruction at the link I posted and ignore everything about bending and pulling and extending when the bar gets to knee height (I fear this is why Gwybodaeth has knee trouble with cleans.). All that happens automatically without a thought and as a consequence of the explosion.
    What he said. A good clean form uses explosion from the hips, and I see that you lack hip mobility. Power cleans def were one of the toughest lifts I tried to perfect, and I remember going through a lot of regression training to perfect mine. I haven't read the entire thing that supramax sent, but I think it is helpful. Also, you may want to check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32-Ae8SNIc

See how he used his hips to drive the bar upwards, instead of only using his arms to pull the bar? That's what you lack, and it will help a lot if you do functional exercises that can improve your hip mobility, like bridges and kb swings.. well, that was how I was able to improve mine, though. Won't hurt if you try the same thing

Originally Posted by noxcuses08 View Post
    What he said. A good clean form uses explosion from the hips, and I see that you lack hip mobility. Power cleans def were one of the toughest lifts I tried to perfect, and I remember going through a lot of regression training to perfect mine. I haven't read the entire thing that supramax sent, but I think it is helpful. Also, you may want to check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32-Ae8SNIc

See how he used his hips to drive the bar upwards, instead of only using his arms to pull the bar? That's what you lack, and it will help a lot if you do functional exercises that can improve your hip mobility, like bridges and kb swings.. well, that was how I was able to improve mine, though. Won't hurt if you try the same thing
    The manlycurls instructional is one of many articles I've learnt from and I think the best. I've also watched a ton of videos in slow motion. On a good week, I clean (and press and clean for front squats) over a hundred times.

middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10) middleagedSF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It seems like you jump but it’s more of a little ‘hop’ than a powerful explosion upward. You don’t actually want to jump. You just want to explode up to the tips of your toes.