Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I keep hurting my shoulder

This is getting frustrating.

After a positive 2017 (I finally got my first proper squats and saw real progress on the main lifts) I started with shoulder issues in Sept/Oct. I eventually took the last month off (eating badly and gaining weight, but that's another story with a simple fix). The first couple of weeks were OK during the day, but at night the pain was very bad. I got better after that, and on Friday decided to go back to the gym. I did some squats with 75% of my max, and instantly felt the familiar shoulder pain. It hasn't improved since then.

I visited two physical therapists since all this started, but both recommended permanently stopping all the lifts I'm trying to get good at (squats, overhead press, etc), so that's not an option. This week I went with another one and he gave me shoulder strengthening exercises and said I should avoid the lifts that hurt me for a while. I'll see how it goes.

All this sucks because I was very happy with my progress.

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas.? Thanks.

Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Plateauplower has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If it's impingement related overhead work is not ideal. Might want to swap OHP for something else for awhile. I've been dealing with a left shoulder issue for about 9 months and even though strict OHP didn't hurt (much) while I was doing them, it seems I've had more improvement after laying off those for a bit. Landmine shoulder press seem better for my shoulder. Keep doing the rehab, if it's a connective tissue injury they take a long time to heal due to low blood supply to tendons/ligaments. If it's bursitis, it's inflammation related and until you allow that to subside it's going to keep hurting. Did you get an MRI?
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and a waist is a terrible thing to mind ;)

"Keto-like" diet & training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175221741

sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) sumtaz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting that squats aggravate your shoulder. I had a similar issue years ago because I was trying to support some of the bar weight with my arms, which put a lot of non-natural strain on my shoulder joints and elbows. Fixed the issue by changing my grip to more of a balancing state, like this:
    https://cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-conte...squat-grip.jpg

The grip also forces you to balance the weight completely on your traps.

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mejulian View Post

Hip belt squats, let that shoulder heal.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Real Heroes don't wear capes.

Keep your squats low and standards high.

grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had an impingement as well. Initially (this was my first and only real injury, so I just assumed it was a pulled muscle or something) tried "working through it" at first and developed bicep tendonitus in the lower bi and upper bi by the impingement shoulder.

So (before I knew what I had) I took a couple weeks off of upper body. Oddly enough, it hurt even worse when squating , and worst of all when leg pressing on my vertical leg press.

After a couple weeks off, I figured I would start working upper body again...bam, 1 workout and the pain was right there again.

So that's when I did some serious research and figured out what I had going on.

I completely stopped working out for 1 month. Then for the next month I just did some dynamic stretching and shoulder health rehab excercises weightless or with bands. Did all the massaging and icing as many times a day as I could.

Then I stared working out again, but using only the bar for 1 set a body part, adding sets and weight extremely slowly. (I should note, this didn't hurt at all...I was just playing it safe and taking my time...I didn't want another 2 months off or to hurt myself permanently)

Long story short...it took about 4 months to get back to where I was. While I was never a strength lifter, I would dabble with heavy low reps on occasion...not anymore. If I can't do at least 6 reps, the weight is too heavy.

In any case, that was last year. It sucked taking the time off, but in the grand scheme of things it was a drop in the bucket. It was certainly worth it. Better to be back and healthy for the long run again. If I would have kept trying to work through it, or kept taking short little breaks and coming back before it was completely healed, there is no doubt in my mind I would have done irreversible damage.

And for what it's worth, I look and feel better than I did before all this...so it certainly wasn't detrimental to my progress.

Hope that helps.
    My 6 years of progress (with pics) thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173360231

mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you for your replies. Good insights.

I didn't get an MRI. I would have to get. There's a long wait for that, and no way they'd give me one for this. Going private is cost prohibitive.

My rehab actually includes landmine press. Overall, it is boring and I find it hard to get motivated, but I'll keep doing it with the longer term in mind.

Will come back here with results.

DCOUNTZ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you tried hanging stretches from a pull up bar or smith machine? Stretching is a huge deal in lifting and a lot of us don't do it..i had a freak shoulder tweak warming up a while back. I really learned after that the importance of stretching muscles before during and after working out...plus it can help for growth.

Platinum Member keyboardworkout's Avatar
    keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keyboardworkout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Look into this... it really works

http://wellroundedathlete.net/mtod-2...r-impingement/
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew^^^^^^

OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000) OldFartTom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    Very interesting reading. Thank you!

Hi OP, high bar squat, is that any better on the shoulder for you?
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    BW on 13/06/2018 - 74.0 Kg , Target BW - 70 Kg / 154# (4kg down, 4 more to go, slowly does it). Agghhh no, weight 15/07/2018 is up to 74.5 kg, time to check those cals :(

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ssb?

kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kevinrj123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mejulian View Post
    This is getting frustrating.

After a positive 2017 (I finally got my first proper squats and saw real progress on the main lifts) I started with shoulder issues in Sept/Oct. I eventually took the last month off (eating badly and gaining weight, but that's another story with a simple fix). The first couple of weeks were OK during the day, but at night the pain was very bad. I got better after that, and on Friday decided to go back to the gym. I did some squats with 75% of my max, and instantly felt the familiar shoulder pain. It hasn't improved since then.

I visited two physical therapists since all this started, but both recommended permanently stopping all the lifts I'm trying to get good at (squats, overhead press, etc), so that's not an option. This week I went with another one and he gave me shoulder strengthening exercises and said I should avoid the lifts that hurt me for a while. I'll see how it goes.

All this sucks because I was very happy with my progress.

Careful boyo it's life changing and can be perm. Lucky I only had minor rotator cuff injury