Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000)
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.” - Mark Rippetoe

As with many competitive sports,in PL there are age/weight classes. Being the strongest version of yourself at any given age and living in the moment is the key for me. Going to comps getting to know lifters who are hitting PRs their clasess and breaking records in their 60s and 70s gives me a lot of inspiration and optimism about the future and motivates me to keep training hard but with good form and allowing a lot of time for recovery. In PL, the records are published and that sets the bar or a target to shoot for. Either you lift it, or you can't. Simple but not easy. The process of creating a plan, then working it and breaking a plateau in a concrete and measurable way is extremely satisfying. The best workout is the one you consistently do. So whatever works. If aesthetics motivate you more than strength, then feed your motivation.

Knowing myself, a focus on aesthetics, I could see leading me to a state of continued and growing dissatisfaction with image versus a focus on strength as the foundation of overall healthy living and pursuing outdoor sports and learning new ones (snowboarding 40s, surfing 50s). It's simplistic but my focus is on what I can actually do/achieve, rather than how I look in the mirror, or looking like I lift. I'm sure you have seen the infographics showing the wide range of body types in "athletes." There is no one "look" per se. I amazed also at the return on investment. By that I mean 4 hours a week of consistent training over time has yielded results I never imagined when I started.

The relationship about between how we "looK" and how we "feel" about ourselves is an interesting one. I have become happier becoming less concerned about my "look." But for others it will be the opposite. There are continual transformation challenges on here and the "before" and "after" pics are inspiring. Looking and feeling better are connected. On some level I think we are happiest setting, pursuing and achieving goals. It's about progress and adopting a "growth mindset" on some level. It's up to you to define exactly what "growth" means to you. It's not a constant either. As we age, the variables and what we consider "progress" evolves as we do.

It's not that there aren't spillover aesthetic improvements. As a 50+ year-old, when I was on my solo surf trip to CR trip, the place was thick with lean shredded surfers. At the surf camp I stayed at, on my last night when I mentioned my age one of the women wouldn't believe it. I had to show her ID. After the surf camp ended I switched to a new place and was pleasantly shocked to find myself closing my hotel bar and an after hours place with a gorgeous beauty 15 years my junior.

As you know the gyms are packed right now so I had to work in with a young guy the other day (I train at a University gym). He was a black kid, varsity soccer player. His physique was perfect, shredded, probably 8% bodyfat. But he was benching 1 plate. I worked up to my working sets of 255 and he looks a bit stunned and asks me "How did you become so strong." Variations of this comment arise pretty regularly.

I quoted Rip above because last spring I dug up about 400 square feet of sod, built two container gardens, had more than 4 tons of base gravel and pea gravel dumped on my driveway. I don't know how may wheel barrows of sod/base rock/pea gravel I moved, but I did it on my own. Late summer I was dining al fresco and enjoying a fresh tomato basil pasta dinner. Nothing like eating produce you have grown from a garden you built from scratch - very satisfying. When furniture and appliances need to be moved, I move them, I don't call someone.

I was already an "old" feeling sedentary f*ck at 45, suffering insomnia, acid reflux et and I asked myself what did I want my life to feel like at 50. Now I'm living it. Periodized heavy strength strength training has been the key that made everything else possible. It made me learn the deadlift. It made me thing about balance between posterior and anterior muscle groups. That led to thinking about balance in other respects. That got me thinking about my nutrition, sleep, functional mobility etc. Tracking success and progress built confidence which then got me asking the other questions. If you want to snowboard, then do it. You want to surf, then do it.
    CPU National Championship Bench March '17 - 130 kilos 286 lbs, M2-93 kilo class
    Raw Bench Bash August 17 - 135 kilos/297 lbs, M2-93 kilo class

uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by strongpath View Post
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.” - Mark Rippetoe

Rippetoe sounds like a moron
    Attached Images

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

As with many competitive sports,in PL there are age/weight classes. Being the strongest version of yourself at any given age and living in the moment is the key for me. Going to comps getting to know lifters who are hitting PRs their clasess and breaking records in their 60s and 70s gives me a lot of inspiration and optimism about the future and motivates me to keep training hard but with good form and allowing a lot of time for recovery. In PL, the records are published and that sets the bar or a target to shoot for. Either you lift it, or you can't. Simple but not easy. The process of creating a plan, then working it and breaking a plateau in a concrete and measurable way is extremely satisfying. The best workout is the one you consistently do. So whatever works. If aesthetics motivate you more than strength, then feed your motivation.

Knowing myself, a focus on aesthetics, I could see leading me to a state of continued and growing dissatisfaction with image versus a focus on strength as the foundation of overall healthy living and pursuing outdoor sports and learning new ones (snowboarding 40s, surfing 50s). It's simplistic but my focus is on what I can actually do/achieve, rather than how I look in the mirror, or looking like I lift. I'm sure you have seen the infographics showing the wide range of body types in "athletes." There is no one "look" per se. I amazed also at the return on investment. By that I mean 4 hours a week of consistent training over time has yielded results I never imagined when I started.

The relationship about between how we "looK" and how we "feel" about ourselves is an interesting one. I have become happier becoming less concerned about my "look." But for others it will be the opposite. There are continual transformation challenges on here and the "before" and "after" pics are inspiring. Looking and feeling better are connected. On some level I think we are happiest setting, pursuing and achieving goals. It's about progress and adopting a "growth mindset" on some level. It's up to you to define exactly what "growth" means to you. It's not a constant either. As we age, the variables and what we consider "progress" evolves as we do.

It's not that there aren't spillover aesthetic improvements. As a 50+ year-old, when I was on my solo surf trip to CR trip, the place was thick with lean shredded surfers. At the surf camp I stayed at, on my last night when I mentioned my age one of the women wouldn't believe it. I had to show her ID. After the surf camp ended I switched to a new place and was pleasantly shocked to find myself closing my hotel bar and an after hours place with a gorgeous beauty 15 years my junior.

As you know the gyms are packed right now so I had to work in with a young guy the other day (I train at a University gym). He was a black kid, varsity soccer player. His physique was perfect, shredded, probably 8% bodyfat. But he was benching 1 plate. I worked up to my working sets of 255 and he looks a bit stunned and asks me "How did you become so strong." Variations of this comment arise pretty regularly.

I quoted Rip above because last spring I dug up about 400 square feet of sod, built two container gardens, had more than 4 tons of base gravel and pea gravel dumped on my driveway. I don't know how may wheel barrows of sod/base rock/pea gravel I moved, but I did it on my own. Late summer I was dining al fresco and enjoying a fresh tomato basil pasta dinner. Nothing like eating produce you have grown from a garden you built from scratch - very satisfying. When furniture and appliances need to be moved, I move them, I don't call someone.

I was already an "old" feeling sedentary f*ck at 45, suffering insomnia, acid reflux et and I asked myself what did I want my life to feel like at 50. Now I'm living it. Periodized heavy strength strength training has been the key that made everything else possible. It made me learn the deadlift. It made me thing about balance between posterior and anterior muscle groups. That led to thinking about balance in other respects. That got me thinking about my nutrition, sleep, functional mobility etc. Tracking success and progress built confidence which then got me asking the other questions. If you want to snowboard, then do it. You want to surf, then do it.
    Great post, repped!
    Bro with mattbro95

Iron Sanctuary

Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by uksenior View Post
    Rippetoe sounds like a moron
    Apparently, Rippetoe never heard of Colonel Colt.

Was friends with Methuselah

Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000) Cantplankwell is a name known to all. (+5000)

Nice post, Good work! I like most of what Rip says, have his SS book, he is pretty sensible..despite the odd quotes once in awhile...Repped
    “it's easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone” Ghandi and probably anyone who lifts weights at home

"Power is nothing without control" Pirelli

"Quiters never win, winners never quit" JRP, coach, friend, brother in law RIP bro

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Nice post, Good work! I like most of what Rip says, have his SS book, he is pretty sensible..despite the odd quotes once in awhile...Repped
    My wife calls Rippetoe "that crazy-eyed Texan", but she pays attention to what he says. He's no fool.
    Pompous know-it-all ass

strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Great post, repped!
    Thanks Bando - been following your bench progress for awhile. Are you signing up for any meets this year?

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Thanks. SS and watching his deadlifting videos and others were the kick I needed to go get some coaching on proper DL form and technique and training all the compound lifts.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks Bando - been following your bench progress for awhile. Are you signing up for any meets this year?
    Yes, will start a peaking program next month, dreading it since it's like a job.
    Bro with mattbro95

Iron Sanctuary

JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dont understand the point of being overly strong, we have lots of lifting aids in this day and age, why is being very strong an advantage in everyday life?
    When your 90 and decline quickly when you are sick you will have more reserves.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

For myself, regardless of how long I live, I hope my death is a tragedy, rather than being a relief after a long experience of a living tragedy. The best way to ensure that is to keep living well, if that's at all possible, up until the last minute. And that will require active and continuous intervention.
    A oft held belief of many health professionals.
    S: 295#
    DL: 405#
    BP: 195#

ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JediRN View Post
    A oft held belief of many health professionals.
    I don't think I was clear. didn't mean medical intervention, I mean active maintenance of my health and intervention in the natural, lazy desire to just let things go. It means eating well and exercising as long as physically possible.
    Pompous know-it-all ass

I think there's a good argument to be made that had I not spent a couple of years building up strength reserves (and a couple of months building up fat reserves) prior to my cancer treatment I may not have survived it. Once that first feeding tube failed things pretty much started falling apart in general due to lack of nutrition.
    Pompous know-it-all ass

JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think I was clear. didn't mean medical intervention, I mean active maintenance of my health and intervention in the natural, lazy desire to just let things go. It means eating well and exercising as long as physically possible.
    I think there's a good argument to be made that had I not spent a couple of years building up strength reserves (and a couple of months building up fat reserves) prior to my cancer treatment I may not have survived it. Once that first feeding tube failed things pretty much started falling apart in general due to lack of nutrition.

That's what I mean. People who have tried to live healthy and have good physiological reserves do a lot better in acute care situation.

50% of the reason why I am trying to put on muscle is so that I'll have it to lose if and when that time comes.

Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Oceanside has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post

I for one do not train for strength
    then why are you worried about it ?

uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000) uksenior is just really nice. (+1000)

who wants to live to 90?

who wants to live to 90?
    Joe

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Oceanside View Post
    then why are you worried about it ?
    The shear psychological aspect of it. Example if I am squatting 315lbs for reps of 8 to 10 as a mass/hypertrophy routine and it has been working for me, how will I mentally prepare myself if start to drop and then find myself only able to do 180lbs for reps.

Will the psychological behavior then affect the physical aspect of it? Because in hindsight if 180lbs is all I can muster (due to my physical limitation) for 8-10 reps then I would be putting in the same effort as I was when my physical limitation allowed me to do 315lbs for 8 - 10. But and this is the net net of it, will the drop in weight fck with my head enough to affect my build...
    On the list for Bannukah