KingNorth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

RE: Support and in need of motivation

Hi

Newbie here, I am not 48. I am in my 20's (but not sure how to change my age)

I am looking for support, motivation and advice. Background story is that I use to weigh over 16 stone, had difficulty losing fat, fell in hopeless and suffered from terrible depression and anxiety (still do this day). It has been a long hard personal battle and there are times when I do feel I am struggling. There are days where I actually broken down completely in to tears for no reason. I have social anxiety, pretty much have no friends and pretty much known as the quiet one. When I do try to talk to people, I stutter a lot and panic inside. I am trying to battle it.

Last year, I actually joined a gym, changed my diet completely and lost 6 and a bit stone. I lost it from fasting and having one meal a day and taking up running. I am now having three meals a day + snacks. I go/use to go to the gym 5 days a week and I did:

Monday - Chest and Back
    Tuesday - Cardio
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Circuit Training
    Friday - Shoulders and Arms
    Sometimes I went Saturday - to do an all -body work out.

I became a regular at the gym and pretty much reckon I was a noob (still am) at the gym. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or not. I went ahead and did it. I cut back recently to going 3 or 4 times a week.

In terms of diet, I started to record what I ate. I increased my protein to 350g - 400g and I cut considerably by carbohydrate/fat intake. I have less than 200g carbs.

The positive thing, I lost the weight and maintained it. I improved my fitness considerably and I know I have. Your talking to someone that struggled and was out of breath after a minute running, struggled to do push ups (I had to go on my knees), struggled to do squats this time last year and I worked hard and I can do push ups, I can run for 15-20 minutes without struggling, I can squat a lot of better now, I even started to do pull up but I can always improve.

However, like I say I am pretty much a noob because even though I am the regular at the gym - perhaps I am paranoid but I feel like people are laughing at me. I don't always feel confident doing the exercises. Even though I lost weight, I don't feel like I gained muscle. My arms still skinny, my chest are moobs, I am now like 10st and I don't think it is normal for any man - I dunno what I am doing wrong. I want to gain muscle mass and weight in a healthy way.

I am just looking for tips/advice as to what I can do.
    Last edited by KingNorth1; 01-06-2018 at 05:06 AM.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    After losing that much weight, you should have to look no further than the mirror for motivation

Are you sure the protein numbers are correct? That's a $hitload of protein for a 140lb guy if my stone to lb calculation is correct
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fantastic turnaround, what a huge achievement, to lose so much weight is an achievement. You should be proud of that.

16 stone = 224 lbs = 102Kg
    10 stone = 140 lbs = 63Kg

"...increased my protein to 350g - 400g.." sounds unhealthy, expensive and not beneficial.

Try between 1.5 and 2g of protein per Kg of bodyweight

10 stone sounds light (but I don't know your height and build). What is your BMI ?
    https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healt...alculator.aspx

You are right, now is time to stop losing weight and try to gain muscle instead.

1) Start a structured beginners program, which drives progress around a schedule, not just some workout routine.
    2) Eat a sensible balanced diet, but at maintenance calories + 250 (so you can gain muscle, but not a big excess as you don't want to just get fat again).

Work out maintenance calories here www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

See programs in the programs section of this forum or maybe consider Stronglifts5x5 ( Google it, free phone app), which is my favourite beginners program.
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 01-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    After losing that much weight, you should have to look no further than the mirror for motivation

Are you sure the protein numbers are correct? That's a $hitload of protein for a 140lb guy if my stone to lb calculation is correct
    Yes, I record what I eat on the myfitnesspal app. I am having between 350g -400g protein. I really cut down on carbs and fat. I am finding is I am maintaining my weight (it does fluctuate). I want to gain weight eating clean and ensuring that I build muscle - it is proving harder than I first thought.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Fantastic turnaround, what a huge achievement, to lose so much weight is an achievement. You should be proud of that.

16 stone = 224 lbs = 102Kg
    10 stone = 140 lbs = 63Kg

"...increased my protein to 350g - 400g.." sounds unhealthy, expensive and not beneficial.

Try between 1.5 and 2g of protein per Kg of bodyweight

10 stone sounds light (but I don't know your height and build). What is your BMI ?

You are right, now is time to stop losing weight and try to gain muscle instead.

1) Start a structured beginners program, which drives progress around a schedule, not just some workout routine.
    2) Eat a sensible balanced diet, but at maintenance calories + 250 (so you can gain muscle, but not a big excess as you don't want to just get fat again).

Work out maintenance calories here

See programs in the programs section of this forum or maybe consider Stronglifts5x5 ( Google it, free phone app), which is my favourite beginners program.
    Thanks for the links. I am definately going to look more into it - and let you know how I get on.

According to the NHS website, my BMI - I am at a healthy weight range. I am 5 ft 8.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KingNorth1 View Post
    Thanks for the links. I am definately going to look more into it - and let you know how I get on.

According to the NHS website, my BMI - I am at a healthy weight range. I am 5 ft 8.
    Good to hear, if you'd said you were 6' 2 or something I'd be worried, but weight/BMI sounds good.

Good luck with your muscle gains, hope you find a program you enjoy, then really go for it (consistently according to program that is..)

tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tommydamic68 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KingNorth1 View Post
    Yes, I record what I eat on the myfitnesspal app. I am having between 350g -400g protein. I really cut down on carbs and fat. I am finding is I am maintaining my weight (it does fluctuate). I want to gain weight eating clean and ensuring that I build muscle - it is proving harder than I first thought.
    1gram of protein per pound (140 grams) is plenty. Get as much of the protein naturally with food, chicken. You need to take in "good" fats, .05 grams per pound, I use Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil as well as all natural peanut butter to get in my fat macros, Get on a good training program, Fierce 5 is a good start. You need your carbs for energy, you can watch them but increase carbs before and after exercise. if weight or stomach starts to get fat, do some cardio, start with 15 minutes after workouts and add from there as needed.