James1892 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New to all of this - Seaking clarification - killing a drinking habit

I appreciate the ammount of posts like this and forgive me if I'm not 100% on the ball.

A little bit of background, I'm 27 years old, weigh 185lbs at 6'1'' .. I've always been relativly fit, Played football(Soccer) 4/5 times per week but never weight trained, 3 Years ago I got a bad injury playing and since then my only real exersize came from 2/3 miles a day walking the dog. In this time my eating habbits became slack and I started drinking 3/4 times per week, It got to the stage I couldn't go out with the family without having to have 4 or 5 beers.

5 months ago I decided enough is enough, I cut back on the beer and started eating healthy, added in some light training to get into the mindset, small weights at home etc. Now training 4 times a week has become routine and I haven't had a beer for 4 months!

I decided to join a gym at the beginning of they year to have access to better equiptment etc. My goal is to build a resonable amount of muscle, I don't inted to become Mr Olympia or anything, I'd Just like to go from being your average lean build to strong, muscular and toned (Chances are I'll keep going as I'll never be happy but I'll cross that bridge when it comes)

My workouts are currently conistent of Arms/Chest - Back/Shoulders - Legs, 3 sets 10 reps 8 exersizes. I just cycle this whilst I'm getting my form right and getting used to the enviroment/equiptment. I plan to continue this for another two weeks and then settle into a sustainable plan moving forwards.

When I started working out I would say my body fat was around 20% body fat, I'm now around 15% (waiting on calipers coming so I can measure properly..)

however I have also beeing measuring my arms, legs and waist throughout and my legs and arms are growing while my waist dropped 4'' intially and has sustained throughout whilst my abs are slowly starting to show.

I'd like to continue building muscle whilst staying reasonably lean, I don't have a total mind set on this, I'd like to be able to fill the Sleeves on a large T shirt by the summer but I see it more as a rewarding lifestyle choice than aiming to have a bodybuilders physique in x amount of months.

I've been reading about the Macros, how many calories etc and I've worked out;

2928 Calories
    330g carbs
    220g protein
    81g fat

4L Water per day.

I've been eating to this for 2 weeks now and my main issue is due to what I like eating I'm struggling to hit my 330g of carbs, I can manage around 250g. I'm getting my calories easy enough as I can get there from protein/fat, Is that OK?

I'm loving how much I can eat, how I'm feeling and how I'm sleeping, Ive also found Im performing better in the gym. I'm eating out and not shying away from food, I'm just working what I want into my macros, I've never been a big sweet eater or soda drinker so I'm good there, once every few weeks I may have a hand full of the aniseed buttons you get in liqurice all sorts? but again I can work those into my macros when I do decide to have them.

the only things I'm not too sure about are what types of carbs to eat when? I can't stand mash or rice! so my carbs are coming from basically bread, fruit, veg, nuts, ricecakes(Could eat these all day but I've been reading they are best to have post workout?) and some of the meat I eat.

Is there anything else I need to be looking at, or adding to my approach?

Thanks!

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do not worry about type of carb or timing beyond personal preference. If you hit your calories with more protein and fat that is fine too.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by James1892 View Post
    I've been reading about the Macros, how many calories etc and I've worked out;

2928 Calories
    330g carbs
    220g protein
    81g fat

4L Water per day.
    I suggest reading the stickies. That's a lot more protein than needed. There's no need to set your carbs in advance. There's absolutely no need to drink 4L of water every day, unless you sweat excessively.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    I suggest reading the stickies. That's a lot more protein than needed. There's no need to set your carbs in advance. There's absolutely no need to drink 4L of water every day, unless you sweat excessively.
    I'll read over it again, I'm aware of the 1lbs / lbs of body weight however I thought I had to increase to bulk up? or am I confused?

I Don't Sweat alot, however I was drinking 6-8 coffees a day at work, Training or not that wasn't good so I like Having a bottle of water on my desk, It curbs that and I find I'll drink 2L throughout the day and usually one on a morning before work and one on a night. Will this have negative effects on my training/goals? Should I cut it back?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll read over it again, I'm aware of the 1lbs / lbs of body weight however I thought I had to increase to bulk up? or am I confused?
    Yes that's not how it works. Read this please: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3439001&page=1

I Don't Sweat alot, however I was drinking 6-8 coffees a day at work, Training or not that wasn't good so I like Having a bottle of water on my desk, It curbs that and I find I'll drink 2L throughout the day and usually one on a morning before work and one on a night. Will this have negative effects on my training/goals? Should I cut it back?
    If you like drinking water go ahead. The only downside would be excessive toilet visits.

If you wake up more than once while sleeping it may be a good idea to cut back.

R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) R5GT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    0.7g pr lb of protein has been shown in most studies to be enough to maximize growth, but nothing wrong with eating more if you wish.

Drink water when thirsty, no need to drink more than that, the only people who need to think about water intake are the people who get most of their intake from things like soda etc, if water is your main intake then drinking till thirst is plenty. Drink more if you like to drink it but there is no NEED to drink 4L per day.

Excellent, Thanks alot!

Also, Sorry to pest, If the odd time per week I add in a handfull of sweets or something like that, Is it OK as long as I'm getting my Macros and not over doing it? I'm talking 4/5 jelly buttons, not a bucket of doughnuts :P ..

Having re-read the stickies I'm confident with my eating I just feel as if its alot to take in for a total newbie.. thanks again for the advice.

Also, Sorry to pest, If the odd time per week I add in a handfull of sweets or something like that, Is it OK as long as I'm getting my Macros and not over doing it? I'm talking 4/5 jelly buttons, not a bucket of doughnuts :P ..
    This question is actually answered in the sticky. I suggest reading it closely.

Having re-read the stickies I'm confident with my eating I just feel as if its alot to take in for a total newbie.. thanks again for the advice.
    Well if you're 185 pounds and want to gain weight you'll need to eat a lot.

That being said, at 185 pounds, are you sure you are lean enough to bulk?

Yea, Got it!

Working from the stickies/calculators on here I'm currently eating 2928 calories a day, To me thats a lot, I've never really counted prior, only ate what I feel like until recently, I had dropped a bit of weight and became comfortable with how lean I was in comparison to before (Almost feel too skinny if anything) the past two weeks since I started training in the gym and upped my food/ learning macros etc I feel better..

Is there a set ''lean enough to bulk'' ? I mean my arms aren't big enough to just gain defenition, my chest is flat as is my stomach, I have no overhang anywhere although My abs are barely visable i'm more than happy with how my stomach is in comparison to the past.

I want to get this right, hence so many questions..

Is there a set ''lean enough to bulk'' ? I mean my arms aren't big enough to just gain defenition, my chest is flat as is my stomach, I have no overhang anywhere although My abs are barely visable i'm more than happy with how my stomach is in comparison to the past.
    Basically if you're about ~16-17% it starts becoming less efficient to bulk. In that case it would be a better idea to cut to about ~12% then slowly bulk up again.

This gives a decent indication of how body fat levels tend to look: https://legionathletics.com/wp-conte...6Jp7tL4OmH.jpg

I've got my caliper today so I'll measure properly when I'm home and see where I'm at. I'm somewhere between 13-15 and 16-19.

I've got my caliper today so I'll measure properly when I'm home and see where I'm at. I'm somewhere between 13-15 and 16-19.
    ideally upload a picture on your bodyspace or imgur. Caliper won't be very accurate, especially when it's not a professional one used by a professional.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You are not doing enough activity to need to worry about carbohydrate timing.

Cool Update.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    ideally upload a picture on your bodyspace or imgur. Caliper won't be very accurate, especially when it's not a professional one used by a professional.
    Morning,

I've finally got round to taking some photos and uploading them to bodyspace. Lots going on lately! I'm up to 188 lbs now (Starting weight was 161 in July,I was 175 when I joined the gym instead of working out with light weights at home in December)

Going off what I look like, I'm not gaining any additional fat and I'm eating clean most of the time. I couldn't post pics but I've added them to bodyspace;

These are my current macros, basically from calculators on here. I'm going to read over stickies and evaluate these today while ive got the chance as I feel my protein may be alot higher than it should be;

3200 Calories
    365g carbs
    90g fat
    243g protein

I'm working on the strength building beginners routine which is subect to huge threads on this site, I'm enjoying it, I'm happy with slow and steady gains, I can see a increase in size all be it small whilst getting stronger.

My goals haven't changed, What I'm wondering is, is it favourable to reach a certain weight (say 190 lbs in my case) Cut to a certain % body fat and then maintain for a few month before starting to add weight again?
    My weight goal is 220 lbs - I don't have a time limit to this, I'm also not fussed about having abs for the summer or whatever, theres always next year for that, I'd rather build a solid foundation now.

Also, Still no alcohol- Curbed it for 7 months. Don't miss it one bit.

Thanks for the support.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Morning,

I've finally got round to taking some photos and uploading them to bodyspace. Lots going on lately! I'm up to 188 lbs now (Starting weight was 161 in July,I was 175 when I joined the gym instead of working out with light weights at home in December)

Going off what I look like, I'm not gaining any additional fat and I'm eating clean most of the time. I couldn't post pics but I've added them to bodyspace;

These are my current macros, basically from calculators on here. I'm going to read over stickies and evaluate these today while ive got the chance as I feel my protein may be alot higher than it should be;

3200 Calories
    365g carbs
    90g fat
    243g protein

I'm working on the strength building beginners routine which is subect to huge threads on this site, I'm enjoying it, I'm happy with slow and steady gains, I can see a increase in size all be it small whilst getting stronger.

My goals haven't changed, What I'm wondering is, is it favourable to reach a certain weight (say 190 lbs in my case) Cut to a certain % body fat and then maintain for a few month before starting to add weight again?
    My weight goal is 220 lbs - I don't have a time limit to this, I'm also not fussed about having abs for the summer or whatever, theres always next year for that, I'd rather build a solid foundation now.
    That is generally the most commonly-used path.

Also, Still no alcohol- Curbed it for 7 months.
    ^^^^The most significant part of your post.

Stay the course.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    That is generally the most commonly-used path.

^^^^The most significant part of your post.

Stay the course.
    Great, thats what I thought. I'll keep going to 190 then cut to a decent body fat % and go again.

Thanks for the advice.