LeadnExcel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Keto Diet for the First Time - Log, Journey, and Motivation

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what got me looking at the Keto Diet but something caught my interest. I decided to do my research by searching the web, looking at videos, reading a ton of blogs, looking up recipes, and basically just trying to understand it. I got excited because I thought this was something I could easily stick to. So, while not too obese, I definitely have 30 or so pounds to shed. I figured out my macros and am trying to stick to the following:

1100 calories
    100g fat
    50g protein
    20g carbs

I am 5'2, weight 157lbs, and lead a pretty sedentary life. I am easily motivated and have done well in the past following a P90 diet/exercise plan. My biggest downfall is that I love fruit and veggies... apples, oranges, grapefruits, grapes, berries, carrots, spinach, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc... and I love sweets...

I know fruit (except for a few berries) is off limits at first, and this has been a little hard but not impossible. I'm only on day 5.

I found a website yesterday that seems to be promising called "eatthismuch" and they have an app I already installed on my phone. However, I like another app called Carb Manager to track the actual foods I eat. I was hoping other people were interested in possibly starting out with me or just check in frequently to help me understand this diet better.

Like for example, this morning I ate 2 eggs over easy, 2 tbsp. olive oil, and 3 slices of 0 sugar bacon. I had 1/4 cup each of blueberries and raspberries about 2 hrs later as a snack, and for lunch I had 1 oz ground beef with spices and a mozzarella cheese string. I'm planning to make Atlantic Salmon and sautéed garlic spinach for dinner. I'm a little bummed because dinner hasn't happened yet and my app is telling me I am at 10g net carbs, 69g fat, 39g protein, and 842 calories. Overall not bad, but the salmon tonight (even a measly 1 oz) will take me way over on protein and won't add much to my fat intake. I have been browsing the internet like crazy for low carb/protein but high fat "bombs" or snacks to help boost the fat up... don't want to overdue it on protein but I also have to eat....

Almost everything out there I found encourages higher calories and I'm afraid I won't lose weight if I go over 1100. Any word of advice from those of you who have been there before?

Thanks! I appreciate any feedback.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Could probably start off on 1400-1500 minimum I'm guessing. I'm new to trying keto but have tracked my intake for years. I wouldn't go below 100g protein (400 cals) if you are training with weights. 80-100g fat (900 cals +/-) leaving 200 cals for carbs and fiber (which would not be counted in your net carbs in regard to ketosis). I'd use something like that as a baseline. It will never be exact, food labels can be off by 20% or something. Then adjust as needed. 1100 calories would be more of a PSMF approach for most in which you want to consume mostly protein.

This type of diet is probably not for everyone...and it's not going to be any more effective in terms of fat loss than any other calorie restricted approach. So if you find you don't do well on it, a balanced macro approach tracked accurately with a 500 calorie deficit will also work just fine.

Again I'm no expert on this diet, but protein is an essential macronutrient, especially if you are weight training which I would highly recommend so you don't end up just a smaller version of your current LBM to fat ratio (better end result).

This section is not very active at all so if you have specific questions, probably be best to post in the main keto thread.
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 01-07-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I only logged on today for the first time. Still trying to learn the forums. I will locate the main thread and post questions there. Thank you again!

Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Following your log. I was thinking starting Keto myself and we have about same stats ( but I probably have more bf) so, very interested in your journey.
    Good luck

Hi Min125,

Thank you. I'm trying. I have about 43% body fat. My shape is pear-like, and I have a lot of fat left over from my second C-section 3 yrs ago. I am starting to add cardio 3 times a day (20 min intervals), and will go back to strength training this week. I don't have a ton of time, which makes it hard to plan exercises, but I am driven and determined and will figure it out. I started 6 days ago and have seen a total of 5 lbs off so far. I feel better. Energetic, satisfied, no cravings yet. One issue I have is that I don't like to drink plain water. I've been squeezing the juice of 1 lemon and adding it to 25 oz of water with ice and Stevia for flavor and can easily drink 2-3 containers a day.... the downfall is that lemon juice has 4-6 grams Net Carbs per 2-3 TBSP, and this is tough!!! Will have to figure something else out. If I can offer you some very informal advice, I would say research the diet, check out the websites I listed on my original post, they really are very good for beginners, and just go for it. I can't believe it's been almost a week.... Good luck!

Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Min125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LeadnExcel View Post
    Hi Min125,

Thank you. I'm trying. I have about 43% body fat. My shape is pear-like, and I have a lot of fat left over from my second C-section 3 yrs ago. I am starting to add cardio 3 times a day (20 min intervals), and will go back to strength training this week. I don't have a ton of time, which makes it hard to plan exercises, but I am driven and determined and will figure it out. I started 6 days ago and have seen a total of 5 lbs off so far. I feel better. Energetic, satisfied, no cravings yet. One issue I have is that I don't like to drink plain water. I've been squeezing the juice of 1 lemon and adding it to 25 oz of water with ice and Stevia for flavor and can easily drink 2-3 containers a day.... the downfall is that lemon juice has 4-6 grams Net Carbs per 2-3 TBSP, and this is tough!!! Will have to figure something else out. If I can offer you some very informal advice, I would say research the diet, check out the websites I listed on my original post, they really are very good for beginners, and just go for it. I can't believe it's been almost a week.... Good luck!
    Thanks, L&E
    I decided to start my journey and I'm glad I have Keto buddy. Tomorrow will be my 1st day. Did you get any Keto flu?

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My keto flu support

2 ibuprofen
    Cup of coffee
    Powerade zero
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Originally Posted by Cowmustard View Post
    My keto flu support

2 ibuprofen
    Cup of coffee
    Powerade zero
    Powerade zero 'Grape' ? I like that flavor the most. I am adding pickle juice, just in case

dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dalkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Cowmustard View Post
    My keto flu support

2 ibuprofen
    Cup of coffee
    Powerade zero
    Mine is 3 dill pickle spears, a cup of black tea and a multivitamin. Seems to do the trick for the most part.
    ---------Dalk
    USN Crew
    (Former)Keto Crew - 21lbs down in 57days.
    Boxing Crew
    Running Crew

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pickles are almost the devil to me but that's my hang up...
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard