Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Standard Vs. Olympic Plates

I have been lifting for about 16 months now and have slowly collecting standard plates to use for dumbbell exercises and with my ez-curl bar. I have recently acquired a 6' standard 1" diameter bar and so far it is meeting my needs. I do notice that it bends slightly with weights starting at around 120 lbs. I acquired the bar off Kijiji, as it came with some plates I was purchasing so I am not sure of its make. I suspect it is a basic "Walmart" type bar. Is bending typical of standard bars?

The short of it is I have decided that I am enjoying weightlifting and that it is time to build up my home gym. I currently use standard plates and am wondering if there are people out there that have used them exclusively for their home gym or do people start with them and progress to the Olympic size over time? If so, what causes people to switch from standard to olympic?

Are the actual weights of olympic plates standard? Are the diameters standard? For example Ive noticed that in my standard plates 10lbs from one brand is not always the same as a 10lb in another and that the plate diameters can vary, even within the same brand. Is this the case with Olympic?

Other then weight capacity, are there other advantages to Olympic plates/bars that I am overlooking?

Any insight and advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by JeffUP; 01-02-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    To boldly go where ....

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started out with standard so I'd have a bar my wife could more easily handle, and also so I could use the same plates with spinlock dumbbell handles. But eventually we moved on to Olympic.

The main advantage is the rotating sleeves, which will virtually eliminate torque on your wrists during any lift that rotates the bar. I don't do Olympic lifts, so the biggest functional difference for me is the larger 28.5mm diameter which feels a lot better in my hands than the 25mm standard bar. The plates are also easier to load and unload. Not a huge deal but less likely to drop them.

Even if you don't need an Olympic set, at some point you're going to want an Olympic set. It's just better.

JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffUP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I started out with standard so I'd have a bar my wife could more easily handle, and also so I could use the same plates with spinlock dumbbell handles. But eventually we moved on to Olympic.

The main advantage is the rotating sleeves, which will virtually eliminate torque on your wrists during any lift that rotates the bar. I don't do Olympic lifts, so the biggest functional difference for me is the larger 28.5mm diameter which feels a lot better in my hands than the 25mm standard bar. The plates are also easier to load and unload. Not a huge deal but less likely to drop them.

Even if you don't need an Olympic set, at some point you're going to want an Olympic set. It's just better.
    Thanks for the insite. Do Olympic plates have a standardized diameter?
    To boldly go where ....

MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you ask for the hole, yes, they have a hole diameter of 2" (just a bit over 50mm). My old Panatta olympic size plates have a hole diameter of 50.8 - 51.0mm and the sleeves of my olympic barbell have an outside diameter of 49.9mm.
    If your question is for olympic plate overall diameter, no, every manufacturer makes plates without following a standard overall diameter. It depends of the plate's thickness, if it is rubber coated etc.

I would say as stated above by bisonp, it's better to have olympic plates, mostly of the easiest load / unload on the barbell and because even the cheap Chinese olympic barbells have way higher load capacity than almost every 25,4 or 27-28mm standard bar (the only exception I know is a highly priced Ivanko standard barbell).

After almost 30 years in weight training with standard plates and bars in my home gym, some months ago I bought a used set of old Panatta olympic plates and a new 7-foot olympic barbell and I can tell you I almost don't use anymore the standard hole plates, except when I load plates on an old lat pulldown or when I use the spinlock dumbbells. Now they are being used by my son.

It's best if you search at the used market or in commercial gyms selling equipment and plates.

Originally Posted by MikeNick View Post
    If you ask for the hole, yes, they have a hole diameter of 2" (just a bit over 50mm). My old Panatta olympic size plates have a hole diameter of 50.8 - 51.0mm and the sleeves of my olympic barbell have an outside diameter of 49.9mm.
    If your question is for olympic plate overall diameter, no, every manufacturer makes plates without following a standard overall diameter. It depends of the plate's thickness, if it is rubber coated etc.

I would say as stated above by bisonp, it's better to have olympic plates, mostly of the easiest load / unload on the barbell and because even the cheap Chinese olympic barbells have way higher load capacity than almost every 25,4 or 27-28mm standard bar (the only exception I know is a highly priced Ivanko standard barbell).

After almost 30 years in weight training with standard plates and bars in my home gym, some months ago I bought a used set of old Panatta olympic plates and a new 7-foot olympic barbell and I can tell you I almost don't use anymore the standard hole plates, except when I load plates on an old lat pulldown or when I use the spinlock dumbbells. Now they are being used by my son.

It's best if you search at the used market or in commercial gyms selling equipment and plates.
    Your son is lucky to have a home gym to use! Thanks for your thoughts.
    To boldly go where ....

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JeffUP View Post
    Thanks for the insite. Do Olympic plates have a standardized diameter?
    The 45 pound plates do for the most part. 450 mm, 17 3/4" diameter is the standard and most will be pretty close to that though there will be some variation and some models are way off. So you can't count on it, but generally decent quality plates adhere to that.

Other denominations will vary, I don't think there's any standard there other than bumper plates which would all be 17 3/4" regardless of weight.
    Last edited by bisonp; 01-03-2018 at 06:35 AM.

The 45 pound plates do for the most part. 450 mm, 17 3/4" diameter is the standard and most will be pretty close to that though there will be some variation and some models are way ogff. So you can't count on it, but generally decent quality plates adhere to that.
    Thanks for the information. Which brand do you recommend? I don't need (or really want) the Cadillac but I don't want the Hyundai Pony either.
    To boldly go where ....

Thanks for the information. Which brand do you recommend? I don't need (or really want) the Cadillac but I don't want the Hyundai Pony either.
    First you need to determine if you want grip or regular plates. Personally I think grip plates are worth the extra money because they make loading and unloading nicer. Some people don't. I have Troy VTX grip plates which I love the design of but the quality is just OK at best. Rough edges, lumpy paint, etc. They had great reviews in the past but I'd hesitate to recommend them today because quality has slipped. You can always find used plates and that's what a lot of people recommend but all I ever seem to find for sale around me is either junk or overpriced.

First you need to determine if you want grip or regular plates. Personally I think grip plates are worth the extra money because they make loading and unloading nicer. Some people don't.
    Thanks for writing back again; it is very much appreciated.

By grip plates do you mean rubber coated, bumper style or the type of weight that has two elongated oval like "hand holes" along the outer edge in addition to the centre hole? (kind of like a steering wheel.) The 25 lbs plus standard weights I have do have what I think you would consider handles and yes, I would want those over the solid weights that only have the centre hole.

Are bumper or rubber coated all that great? I imagine that the rubber coating on some of the plates I've seen act as a floor protector, that also prevent rusting. Im not opposed to those but don't see myself using those giant brightly coloured bumper plates unless they were a really good price.

Is it true bumper plates have a standardized overall diameter? Thats something that I would be interested in.
    To boldly go where ....

PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000)
    It is very possible to get very strong using regular plates. The biggest limitation, as mentioned above, will be the bar itself. Currently, only Ivanko Barbell makes a standard bar that can handle heavier weights, and with the exchange rate and shipping it's probably not worth it unless you managed to acquire a ridiculous amount of standards.

There are rubber coated olympic plates and bumper plates. They are not the same. Bumper plates are meant to be dropped as part of olympic lifting and have a small amount of bounce to them. They can be used for the powerlifts. Rubber coated plates aren't really meant to be dropped like bumpers, they are more to keep lifting 'quiet' as opposed to iron plates rattling. Most bumper plates will be around 450mm, but depending on the price point and manufacturer, that can vary.

Grip plates have cut-outs to make them easier to handle. They can be regular cast iron or rubber coated.

The diameter of iron plates can be all over the place, so watch for that if you are putting a set together.

Here in Canada our market is rather small and even used the prices for bars, plates and racks tend to be high. In Toronto you can try XTC Fitness, they sell almost everything York Barbell makes, plus they have their own line of racks(I have a bench of theirs, it's great). Online, Rogue is probably your best bet as they have a dedicated Canadian site(I have a Rogue Ohio bar). Fitness Depot as a line of racks also, that are half decent.

Someone above mentioned Troy/VTX for plates; I've yet to find a supplier up here.
    "When you press, you train with Kono, Alexeyev, Starr, Grimek and Cyr. When you press, you train
    much more than the shoulders and arms. You train the soul of the sport of barbell exercise." - Rip

Wow. Thanks for the incite PriorMike. Given you know the Canadian Market what would be a good price for plates?

Standard plates seem to go for $0.50 a $1.00 a pound used and $1.00 plus new.
    Olympic plates around $1.00-$2.00 a pound used and $2.00 plus new.

I think I've been very lucky occasionally though and have recently gotten:

176 lbs (10x12 + 5x7 + 3x7 + 4 dumbbell bars) for $25.00 (mostly Weider & Champs plates)
    105 lbs (25x2 + 10x4 + 7.5x2 + 6' standard bar) for $40.00 (Cap plates)
    70 lbs (5x8 + 2.5x8 + 1.25x8) for $30.00 (York plates)

I use the 10lbs and under plates primarily as dumbbells.

Were these good value? I thought they were.

I guess my real question is do I stick with standard plates, seeing as I have already started a "collection," or do I switch to Olympic plates now that I am needing heavier weights.

Another question. Given that I have bought (and will likely continue purchasing) used plates, I have a variety of different brands that physically vary in terms of size, demension and even weight. The actual weights vary a little. Does using "mixed weights" make any real difference other then how they look on the bar?

Thanks again for your insite. Your reply really cleared up a lot of my questions.
    To boldly go where ....

PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't switch all of your plates, I'd hang onto some of them and continue using them for dumbbells.

No matter the plates you buy, there will be a variation in weight. How much that is will depend on the quality of the plate. Some on here don't really care, some weigh their plates and mark them so you load similar plates on the bar.

As for the dimensions, say if you were deadlifting, load the larger diameter plates closest to the collars.

There are some sticky threads at the top of this subforum you should read that will answer a lot of what you are looking for.
    "When you press, you train with Kono, Alexeyev, Starr, Grimek and Cyr. When you press, you train
    much more than the shoulders and arms. You train the soul of the sport of barbell exercise." - Rip

Originally Posted by PriorMike View Post
    There are some sticky threads at the top of this subforum you should read that will answer a lot of what you are looking for.
    I'll take a look. Thanks.
    To boldly go where ....

After lots of advice and feedback I decided to stick with standard plates for the time being. The reasons were fairly simple and include:

1. I already had a good collection of standard weights with plates from 1.25 lbs - 25 lbs;
    2. My standard weights can easily double as dumbbells;
    3. I already had a decent 6' bar and ez curl bar;
    4. I have limited room;
    5. I found a great deal on rubber coated standard plates today. (I was able to get 2X25, 2X35 & 2 X45 rubber coated handle grip plates and a much stronger 6' standard bar with with a sets of quick clips and standard clips all for $120.00 CND.)

So now I have all the weight I will need for the forceable future.

What I have learned:

1. "Handle grip" plates are REALLY REALLY NICE in weights over 25 lbs!
    2. Rubber coating is a plus for over 25 lbs in weight;
    3. If you take your time you can get some great deals on standard plates. I paid $0.50 per pound CND on average for my entire collection;
    4. Buying used is the way to go;
    5. Kijiji is your friend!

Thanks for all the input I received. I'll post a photo of my weights once I get them properly organized. Now all I need is squat rack and my home gym will be good to go!
    To boldly go where ....

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good to hear that you're pleased, but you face a few challenges ahead. As you progress a 6ft 1" Standard bar will limit your ability to make gains. Once you begin to move some significant weights, most Standard bars around today will permanently bend at 100kg, I've witnessed one bend with 80kg (176lb) on the bar.

I note that you hope to get a rack at some point, a 6ft bar will not fit in a conventional power rack. For this reason alone, I think it may be wise to target Olympic bar/plates in the future, you've done a good job collecting your standard gear, you obviously know how to take advantage of the used market, my advice would be to pick up Olympic plates and a 7ft bar should you be able to pick them up for a decent price.

I know you'll be told that weight is weight, that's true to a point, but if you're serious about this, then Olympic is the way to go in the future, good luck.

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Good to hear that you're pleased, but you face a few challenges ahead. As you progress a 6ft 1" Standard bar will limit your ability to make gains. Once you begin to move some significant weights, most Standard bars around today will permanently bend at 100kg, I've witnessed one bend with 80kg (176lb) on the bar.

I note that you hope to get a rack at some point, a 6ft bar will not fit in a conventional power rack. For this reason alone, I think it may be wise to target Olympic bar/plates in the future, you've done a good job collecting your standard gear, you obviously know how to take advantage of the used market, my advice would be to pick up Olympic plates and a 7ft bar should you be able to pick them up for a decent price.

I know you'll be told that weight is weight, that's true to a point, but if you're serious about this, then Olympic is the way to go in the future, good luck.
    Thanks for your feedback gym62richard. The rack issue was my only concern but seeing as I don't currently have a rack I figured I had some options in that regard.

Option 1: I've heard that some people use stops on a 6' Bar to centre the weights 50" apart letting the use a 48" rack. It's not perfect but worth a try. Has anyone done this?

Option 2: Get a 7' standard Bar (Fitness Depot has a 250lbs rated 7' Bar.)

Option 3: Retrofit a 48" wide rack so that it is 40" wide. (Would require a cut and single weld or the cross bars.). I've seen this option done and think there is a thread on the retrofit option as well.)

Given that I'm going with the Standard weight option which would be the best option?
    To boldly go where ....

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for your feedback gym62richard. The rack issue was my only concern but seeing as I don't currently have a rack I figured I had some options in that regard.

Option 1: I've heard that some people use stops on a 6' Bar to centre the weights 50" apart letting the use a 48" rack. It's not perfect but worth a try. Has anyone done this?

Option 2: Get a 7' standard Bar (Fitness Depot has a 250lbs rated 7' Bar.)

Option 3: Retrofit a 48" wide rack so that it is 40" wide. (Would require a cut and single weld or the cross bars.). I've seen this option done and think there is a thread on the retrofit option as well.)

Given that I'm going with the Standard weight option which would be the best option?
    Of these options, I'd go with option #1 since, 1: this would fit your rack, 2: there will still be enough bar sleeve for the weight a standard bar will hold without bending, 3: it's the easiest to do.
    I would get a rack you plan to use forever and eventually get an olympic bar and add weights as you're able.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    Of these options, I'd go with option #1 since, 1: this would fit your rack, 2: there will still be enough bar sleeve for the weight a standard bar will hold without bending, 3: it's the easiest to do.
    I would get a rack you plan to use forever and eventually get an olympic bar and add weights as you're able.
    Thats what I am thinking I will try to start. Im going to bring my bar with me in fact when I go to look at the rack to see if that option is really viable or not. Here is hoping it is.

Thanks for your input.
    To boldly go where ....

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    100% agree with this, if you continue to lift, at some point in the future you're almost certainly going to start using Olympic gear.

100% agree with this, if you continue to lift, at some point in the future you're almost certainly going to start using Olympic gear.
    Thanks for your thought.
    To boldly go where ....

I have thought of an "option 4"

Use a 7' bar but shorten it by removing 4-6" off each sleeve. This would leave a shorter sleeve but might work. Has enyone ever done something like this?
    To boldly go where ....

FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My York beefy bar was dirt cheap, easily fits in the rack, and has handle weight fine till now.

Like yourself I have avoided the switch to Olympic, for me its because I don't need rotating collars. The biggest downside is the lack of specialist bars in 1". I've had to have stuff custom made, on the plus side this means you can go completely custom for grip thickness etc.
    I can only please one person per day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Smile Your bar.

Originally Posted by FatRuss View Post
    My York beefy bar was dirt cheap, easily fits in the rack, and has handle weight fine till now.

Like yourself I have avoided the switch to Olympic, for me its because I don't need rotating collars. The biggest downside is the lack of specialist bars in 1". I've had to have stuff custom made, on the plus side this means you can go completely custom for grip thickness etc.
    Hi FatRuss

Thanks for your reply. You have me very curious. Do you have a link to the exact bar you use of the exact name of the bar? could you pose it here or PM me? The idea of a custom bar is appealing but if your has such a bar already, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for your reply!
    To boldly go where ....

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At age 59, even though I’m lifting heavier than ever, I won’t be switching to Olympic. I have about 900 pounds of standard plates to keep me happy, most of which were bought used for dirt cheap. I’ve made friends with fitness store owners who call me when used standard plate gear comes in (snagged a pair of used 50 pound plates just last week). I do strongly recommend getting legitimate powerlifting bars. I have two powerlifting bars for standard plates (rated at 600 pounds and I’ve used them at 500).

Would probably have been a different story if I’d been able to set up a nice home gym in my twenties though when I only had about 300 pounds of standard plates. I would have probably gotten the Olympic set for the bigger lifts and still made good use of the standard plates for curl and triceps bars and many dumbbell bars.

Best wishes!

- Chains

FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatRuss has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi FatRuss

Thanks for your reply. You have me very curious. Do you have a link to the exact bar you use of the exact name of the bar? could you pose it here or PM me? The idea of a custom bar is appealing but if your has such a bar already, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for your reply!
    I'm in the UK, so its a UK link. its called a beefy bar made by York. I would be shocked if you can't but one in the US or Canada. https://yorkfitness.com/products/yor...nt=52930942165 It states 150kg, but I've had 250kg on it and its still straight.

My custom bar was literally a 40mm solid 6'6 bar with the ends turned down to 25mm. In theory should take more weight than I can ever lift.
    I can only please one person per day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Actually you guys over on that side of the pond get some new York stuff we never see.

On Olympic equipment:. As soon as I switched to an Olympic bar my maxes jumped up. The greater diameter of the grips made a huge difference. I still keep about 400 pounds of standard plates for my dumbbells and machines but all my compound movements are done with the Olympic equipment.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

I'm in the UK, so its a UK link. its called a beefy bar made by York. I would be shocked if you can't but one in the US or Canada. https://yorkfitness.com/products/yor...nt=52930942165 It states 150kg, but I've had 250kg on it.
    Thanks for the link. How wide is the inside portion of the bar? (The distance between the two weight stops?)
    To boldly go where ....

Thanks for the link. How wide is the inside portion of the bar? (The distance between the two weight stops?)
    Inside of the 2 collars measures 52.5" or 1325mm.

I'm in the UK, so its a UK link. its called a beefy bar made by York. I would be shocked if you can't but one in the US or Canada. https://yorkfitness.com/products/yor...nt=52930942165 It states 150kg, but I've had 250kg on it and its still straight.

My custom bar was literally a 40mm solid 6'6 bar with the ends turned down to 25mm. In theory should take more weight than I can ever lift.
    250kg on a £35, York 1" bar, I'd love to see some pics. I've had 150kg on my daughters 25mm Eleiko IWF training bar, it bent like a banana, but being made of that magic Swedish steel it's still straight, but that bar cost me £500, 12 years ago.

Thumbs up

250kg on a £35, York 1" bar, I'd love to see some pics. I've had 150kg on my daughters 25mm Eleiko IWF training bar, it bent like a banana, but being made of that magic Swedish steel it's still straight, but that bar cost me £500, 12 years ago.

The beefy bar isn't 25mm, its 28mm same as Olympic bars. lol.

What would you like a pic of?