Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    An interesting study of why’s impact on glycemic control, A1C, etc. in diabetics, when compared to other meals. I have an article on the potential weight loss benefits of whey, that finds whey has various benefits in glycemic control, etc.

High-energy breakfast based on whey protein reduces body weight, postprandial glycemia and HbA1C in Type 2 diabetes.

J Nutr Biochem. 2017 Nov;49:1-7. doi:

Abstract

Acute studies show that addition of whey protein at breakfast has a glucose-lowering effect through increased incretin and insulin secretion. However, whether this is a long-term effect in Type 2 diabetes is unknown. Fifty-six Type 2 diabetes participants aged 58.9±4.5 years, BMI 32.1±0.9 kg/m2 and HbA1C 7.8±0.1% (61.6±0.79 mmol/mol) were randomized to one of 3 isocaloric diets with similar lunch and dinner, but different breakfast: 1) 42 g total protein, 28 g whey (WBdiet, n=19); 2) 42 g various protein sources (PBdiet, n=19); or 3) high-carbohydrate breakfast, 17 g protein from various sources (CBdiet, n=18). Body weight and HbA1C were examined after 12 weeks.

All participants underwent three all-day meal challenges for postprandial glycemia, insulin, C-peptide, intact glucagon-like peptide 1 (iGLP-1), ghrelin and hunger and satiety scores. Overall postprandial AUCglucose was reduced by 12% in PBdiet and by 19% in WBdiet, compared with CBdiet (P<.0001).

Compared with PBdiet and CBdiet, WBdiet led to a greater postprandial overall AUC for insulin, C-peptide, iGLP-1 and satiety scores, while postprandial overall AUC for ghrelin and hunger scores were reduced (P<.0001).

After 12 weeks, HbA1C was reduced after WBdiet by 0.89±0.05% (11.5±0.6 mmol/mol), after PBdiet by 0.6±0.04% (7.1±0.31 mmol/mol) and after CBdiet by 0.36±0.04% (2.9±0.31 mmol/mol) (P<.0001). Furthermore, the participants on WBdiet lost 7.6±0.3 kg, PBdiet 6.1±0.3 kg and CBdiet 3.5±0.3 kg (P<.0001). Whey protein-based breakfast is an important adjuvant in the management of Type 2 diabetes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28863364
    BrinkZone, Where Bro-Science Got Rabies and Died!

www.BrinkZone.com

Check out my BrinkZone mini site on BB.com at:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

=> President and Founder of Shaved head with goatee Crew
    => Science over bro science Crew

runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10) runsomewhere is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    All great info, thank you!

Are you able to list some of the more reputable brands?

Would you recommend Whey over Soy Protein?

redigneous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is really great. I just started investing in whey. Not that I'm looking for a fast result but I just want to make the most of my money's worth. Thanks for this insights.

WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    More whey win. FYI, This is actually not a new finding about whey, which I wrote about years ago.

The bovine protein α-lactalbumin increases the plasma ratio of tryptophan to the other large neutral amino acids, and in vulnerable subjects raises brain serotonin activity, reduces cortisol concentration, and improves mood under stress

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 71, Issue 6, 1 June 2000, Pages 1536–1544,

ABSTRACT

Background: Increased brain serotonin may improve the ability to cope with stress, whereas a decline in serotonin activity is involved in depressive mood. The uptake of the serotonin precursor, tryptophan, into the brain is dependent on nutrients that influence the cerebral availability of tryptophan via a change in the ratio of plasma tryptophan to the sum of the other large neutral amino acids (Trp-LNAA ratio). Therefore, a diet-induced increase in tryptophan availability may increase brain serotonin synthesis and improve coping and mood, particularly in stress-vulnerable subjects.

Objective: We tested whether α-lactalbumin, a whey protein with a high tryptophan content, may increase the plasma Trp-LNAA ratio and reduce depressive mood and cortisol concentrations in stress-vulnerable subjects under acute stress.

Design: Twenty-nine highly stress-vulnerable subjects and 29 relatively stress-invulnerable subjects participated in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Subjects were exposed to experimental stress after the intake of a diet enriched with either α-lactalbumin or sodium-caseinate. Diet-induced changes in the plasma Trp-LNAA ratio and prolactin were measured. Changes in mood, pulse rate, skin conductance, and cortisol concentrations were assessed before and after the stressor.

Results: The plasma Trp-LNAA ratio was 48% higher after the α-lactalbumin diet than after the casein diet (P = 0.0001). In stress-vulnerable subjects this was accompanied by higher prolactin concentrations (P = 0.001), a decrease in cortisol (P = 0.036), and reduced depressive feelings (P = 0.007) under stress.

Conclusions: Consumption of a dietary protein enriched in tryptophan increased the plasma Trp-LNAA ratio and, in stress-vulnerable subjects, improved coping ability, probably through alterations in brain serotonin.

www.BrinkZone.com

kul2104 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile How accurate is this? Can whey be harmful for liver?

Hello everyone, not to sound stupid but I've been using whey protein for more than 2 years, I was recently diagnosed with fatty liver condition and doc said Whey protein consumption could be reason for this.
    Could the more experienced people here guide me here? Thanks

adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamsmit32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi there. Thank you for the full and useful information.

Originally Posted by kul2104 View Post
    Hello everyone, not to sound stupid but I've been using whey protein for more than 2 years, I was recently diagnosed with fatty liver condition and doc said Whey protein consumption could be reason for this.
    Could the more experienced people here guide me here? Thanks
    Sad when a doc talks out of their you know what vs actually doing a little research. There's no reason what so ever to suspect whey is responsible for that, and several animal and human studies suggest it may benefit some people with that condition:

Non "hard" science version:

https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com...suggests-study

Study:

Effects of a whey protein supplementation on intrahepatocellular lipids in obese female patients.
    Clin Nutr. 2011 Aug;30(4):494-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2011.01.006. Epub 2011 Feb 1.

Abstract
    BACKGROUND & AIMS:

High protein diets have been shown to improve hepatic steatosis in rodent models and in high-fat fed humans. We therefore evaluated the effects of a protein supplementation on intrahepatocellular lipids (IHCL), and fasting plasma triglycerides in obese non diabetic women.

METHODS:

Eleven obese women received a 60 g/day whey protein supplement (WPS) for 4-weeks, while otherwise nourished on a spontaneous diet, IHCL concentrations, visceral body fat, total liver volume (MR), fasting total-triglyceride and cholesterol concentrations, glucose tolerance (standard 75 g OGTT), insulin sensitivity (HOMA IS index), creatinine clearance, blood pressure and body composition (bio-impedance analysis) were assessed before and after 4-week WPS.

RESULTS:

IHCL were positively correlated with visceral fat and total liver volume at inclusion. WPS decreased significantly IHCL by 20.8 ± 7.7%, fasting total TG by 15 ± 6.9%, and total cholesterol by 7.3 ± 2.7%. WPS slightly increased fat free mass from 54.8 ± 2.2 kg to 56.7 ± 2.5 kg, p = 0.005). Visceral fat, total liver volume, glucose tolerance, creatinine clearance and insulin sensitivity were not changed.

CONCLUSIONS:

WPS improves hepatic steatosis and plasma lipid profiles in obese non diabetic patients, without adverse effects on glucose tolerance or creatinine clearance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...61561411000082

www.BrinkZone.com

kul2104 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for explaining in such great depth, indeed it is sad that some people spread so much fake and incomplete knowledge, specially docs

dominoesv is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ingestion Timing

Terrific thread!

I'm curious though, with your research and knowledge, what do you think is the best timing for ingesting protein?

I understand recent research suggests that there is up to a 2-hour window (as apposed to the traditional 30 minutes) after workout in which protein absorption stays close to it's peak.

Recently, I have started incorporating intermittent fasting to try for increased fat burn (eating between 11am-7pm only) and I work out in the morning (8-10am). I am worried that with the fasting, I should probably consume protein immediately after workout.

But fasting aside, I'm very curious on when you think is best to ingest protein.
    Last edited by dominoesv; 01-25-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Originally Posted by dominoesv View Post
    Terrific thread!

I'm curious though, with your research and knowledge, what do you think is the best timing for ingesting protein?

I understand recent research suggests that there is up to a 2-hour window (as apposed to the traditional 30 minutes) after workout in which protein absorption stays close to it's peak.

Recently, I have started incorporating intermittent fasting to try for increased fat burn (eating between 11am-7pm only) and I work out in the morning (8-10am). I am worried that with the fasting, I should probably consume protein immediately after workout.

But fasting aside, I'm very curious on when you think is best to ingest protein.
    It's a bit of a moving target, but spaced out throughout the day (or spaced out within your IF window), and post workout, still appears best practice. Some studies also suggest before bed may be a benefit, but if one is doing IF, that's a whole other variable to deal with.

www.BrinkZone.com

georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100) georgevictor07 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Whey is the way to go for sure. But i hate my vanilla flavour whey with water, it tastes like sweet water that stayed in the hot summer for 10 days.