View Poll Results: How many books have you completed in the year 2017?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll

13 6.67%
  • 1-10

83 42.56%
  • 11-20

36 18.46%
  • 21-30

23 11.79%
  • 31-40

12 6.15%
  • 41-51

6 3.08%
  • 52-60 -- Misc 52 books in 52 weeks club (2017)

5 2.56%
  • 61-70

3 1.54%
  • 71-80

1 0.51%
  • 80+

13 6.67%
Closed Thread
Page 70 of 103 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 3080
    jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wanderer10 View Post

I'll check the forum. I don't really want to use ebay but it's looking like the best option.
    The Amazon seller account is very easy to setup and use if you want to throw your hook in the water at multiple places.

I'm kinda biased against ebay and forgot that's an option.

Best wishes. If you get a thick, juicy Oasis I would love to hear how much you enjoy it.

MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Wanderer10 View Post
    Does anyone have the Kindle Oasis? Or any experience selling a used Kindle?

I have the Voyage and I definitely wouldn't upgrade at full price. However, it's £50 off for the next day or so. I can get an extra £15 off too. So £165. If I could get £80 for the Voyage it doesn't seem too bad.

Anyone used both?
    I did the resale on Amazon JReacher is talking about. Very easy, and it defrayed the cost of upgrading from my Paperwhite to a Voyage.

I vastly prefer the Voyage to the Paperwhite, the haptic buttons and automatic light adjustments are important to me. Maybe I'll treat myself to an Oasis this year - love how light it is! The charging case I don't care about, any kindle has days of battery anyway
    Smooth Seas don't make Strong Sailors. Keep your head up.

Blowing out someone else's candle wont make yours glow any brighter (no homo).

write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Previous Read on Page 46.
    33, 4/23, Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler, Cass R. Sunstein (Nonfiction, Business) 9/10
    34, 4/25, Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal (Nonfiction, Entrepreneurship) 10/10
    35, 4/26, Grit by Angela Duckworth (Nonfiction, Self-help) 10/10
    36, 4/29, The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Scott Galloway (Nonfiction, Business) 9/10
    37, 5/3,Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari (Nonfiction, History) 8/10
    38, 5/9, The Common Good by Robert B. Reich (Nonfiction, Politics) 3/10.
    I am not too into Politics, so I couldn't enjoy this book too much.
    39, 5/14, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew P. Walker (Nonfiction, Health) 10/10
    This book is really good.
    40, 5/22, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (Nonfiction, Nutrition)8/10
    41, 5/23, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (Nonfiction, Psychology) 9/10
    42, 5/31 Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens by Eddie Izzard(Nonfiction, Autobiography) 6/10
    43, 6/1, The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data (Nonfiction, Technology) 7/10
    44, 6/4, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari (Nonfiction, History) 9/10

45 6/7, Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert M. Sapolsky (Nonfiction, Psychology) 8/10
    46, 6/7, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling (Fiction, Fantasy) 9/10
    47, 6/9, The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World by Brad Stone (Nonfiction, Entrepreneurship) 9/10
    This book tells how uber and airbnb started and their challenges, has lots of interesting stories.

48 6/15, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (Fiction), 5/10, Read a month ago and completely forgot the content by now
    49, 7/14, The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts Chapman, Gary ( Nonfiction, Relationship), 10/10 Must read. one of the best books talking about relationship. Wish I have read it years ago.

write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000) write2staceyz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JoocyMane13 View Post
    Have to agree with you on that brah. Really enjoyed the book but i was a little dissapointed that he only glossed over jordans impact over literally one sentence in the end. I guess he really wanted the book to be about Blue Ribbon/Nike and its birth rather then the success that came afterwards. Still, it wouldve been nice for him to bring some nostalgia in there
    me too! love shoe dog!

hahaha, i cannot rep any of you. You must spread some reputation around before ....

Hey, gentleman, can any of you suggest books similar to The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts Chapman, Gary?

Also, I think I am running out of non-fiction to read, any suggestion?

MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by write2staceyz View Post
    hahaha, i cannot rep any of you. You must spread some reputation around before ....

Hey, gentleman, can any of you suggest books similar to The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts Chapman, Gary?

Also, I think I am running out of non-fiction to read, any suggestion?
    I can confirm, 5LL is a classic. I just got but have not started "His Needs, Her Needs" which is supposed to be one of the best books for couples - I bought two copies, one for me & one for Mrs. B. Just to be clear my marriage isn't in any trouble, we just want it to be everything it can be. Maybe let me know your thoughts on that one?

I've read a number of interesting nonfiction books this year - Why We Sleep is still my #1, but I also really enjoyed "I Contain Multitudes" and "When Breath Becomes Air"

50 down, almost done with the challenge. Has anyone already crossed the finish line?

Spoiler!

AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AyMayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I’m semi-retired from reading for the year (or at least for the next month or so) but I figured I’d write two quick reviews for books I finished recently. Not as in-depth as my usual reviews because I’m potato brained right now from withdrawals (lol).

”The Gift of Fear” by Gavin DeBecker. This book seems somewhat directed at women and I can see why given that it’s about honing our ability to sense physical danger which is more of a problem for women than it is for men. That being said, I was really fascinated by it and learned a lot about intuition. It also gave me a new perspective for the kinds of danger women encounter in day to day life in dealing with the fact that most men they encounter are physically stronger and they also have to deal with creepers and psychos and what not (no WK). I imagine it’s kind of like the feeling I’d expect to have if I were in prison and a lot of jacked dudes wanted to have their way with my sweet virgin angus. Or if I went through everyday life being surrounded by NFL dudes and Brock Lesnars, to put into perspective the size/strength discrepancies.

Anyways, our intuition is evolved over millions of years to sense danger, while our more human “logical” brain is much newer. Usually we’ll have a gut feeling about a situation being potentially dangerous but rather than listen to that gut feeling, we often override it by explaining it away with logic or choosing to ignore it in favor of being polite. If you’ve seen “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”, (it’s been years for me so I might be recalling incorrectly), you’ll recall a similar scene where Daniel Craig is snooping around outside the suspected killer’s home, gets caught, gets invited in, and plays along with it, only for the killer to point out how his instinct to be polite lead to his demise even though he knew the guy was a killer. That’s the kind of chit we tend to do, but we should listen to our instincts. It’s better to be wrong about them and look stupid than to be right about them and end up being raped/killed.

One interesting tidbit that was mentioned was that our intuition sometimes also presents itself in the form of mornid humor. One example was given of a case where a suspicious package was received at a company and one employee joked that it was probably a bomb before he left the room. Turns out it was a bomb and it exploded after he left. I’ve found myself doing this myself, joking to my friends before going into sketchy situations “in b4 I get mugged or killed”. Obviously there are a lot of sketchy situations like this that are kind of unavoidable, but they’re worth noting and perhaps taking the extra precautions.

Another thing is that whenever people commit acts of violence, like a dude that snaps, a lot of people act so surprised when in hindsight, if asked the right questions by a neutral observer, the hints were probably there all along. A lot of times, our “logic” or various mental blocks keep us from seeing what’s right under our noses. Sometimes the most seemingly obvious suspects aren’t likely to get violent, while other less obvious ones are, and it’s about being able to spot the signs. For example, a dude saying “You better do this and this, or else!” might not be as likely to actually do chit because he’s just making threats because he feels like he has no real power and he’s just bluffing with the “or else” and implying that he’s open to negotiation given the demands made. Whereas some dude who leaves you a voicemail saying some vague chit like “soon we will be together forever my love” while breathing heavily might actually do something. It’s all about context. An acronym given for this is JACE: Perceived Justification (J) which is whether the person has justification for being violent (like anger, being wronged, seeing violent retribution as acceptable, etc). Perceived Alternatives (A) which is whether the person has any alternatives to violence to get him the outcome he wants (a dude with nothing to lose who feels backed into a corner or has nothing to live for is more likely to feel like he has no non-violent alternatives). Perceived Consequences (C) which is what the person views as the consequences to his actions, weighing them out, etc. And Perceived Ability (A) which is about whether the person has what it takes to carry out such violence.

Anyways, this is one of those books I found insanely fascinating so if you’re interested in psychology at all, it’s worth checking out. 5/5

Another book I read was ”Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City” by Matthew Desmond. I’m getting too lazy to write this long ass post so I’ll keep this brief. In this book, a sociologist lives amongst various American individuals in poverty and presents firsthand accounts of what day to day life is like for them, with a focus on the struggle to find places to rent, the uphill battle certain renters face, people’s struggles with having most of their income going toward rent and juggling things like drug addiction or single parenthood, and the poverty trap that is hard to escape given the environments they live in. It mostly follows a narrative format, telling the stories of specific individuals. It was a little boring at first, but I got really invested into it by the latter half. If you’re at all interested in cultivating a different perspective, which IMO is always good for mental gains, then I highly recommend this book for seeing how life is like for people who aren’t as fortunate as we are. Bill Gates recommended this one (which is how I found it) and it won a Pulitzer Prize, if that matters to you. I’d give it a 4.5/5.
    Books read in 2017: 110
    Books read in 2018: 29+ (Goal: 35)
    Positivity crew but always relapsing and losing my chit crew
    AJ Styles/Andrade Almas/Alexa Bliss crew
    INTP/ENTP crew
    Slytherin crew
    Wanna be a bad boy but deep down huge beta WK crew
    ~ Rest in Peace, Zyzz. Forever mirin. Thanks for the inspiration ~

Originally Posted by MrBourbon View Post
    I can confirm, 5LL is a classic. I just got but have not started "His Needs, Her Needs" which is supposed to be one of the best books for couples - I bought two copies, one for me & one for Mrs. B. Just to be clear my marriage isn't in any trouble, we just want it to be everything it can be. Maybe let me know your thoughts on that one?

I've read a number of interesting nonfiction books this year - Why We Sleep is still my #1, but I also really enjoyed "I Contain Multitudes" and "When Breath Becomes Air"

50 down, almost done with the challenge. Has anyone already crossed the finish line?

Spoiler!
    Great! Thank you !

TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBodfather94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sapiens delivered

Educational, thorough and highly engaging/entertaining throughout. Harari nailed it and set things up nicely for Homo Deus. Universal must-read material IMO.

Definitely gonna get into Homo Deus soon, but before that I'm jumping back on the Winslow wagon. "The Cartel" is up next.

Started WBBA the other day and boy is it morbid. I knew what I was signing up for, but bruh...

As for the challenge, I checked Goodreads and it seems DarkAvenger has left humanity behind - he's sitting at 66 lmao.

Originally Posted by write2staceyz View Post
    Same here.

Soon.jpg

A few more non-fiction suggestions;

- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
    - Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    - When the Body Says No by Gabor Mate

Originally Posted by TheBodfather94 View Post
    Sapiens delivered

Educational, thorough and highly engaging/entertaining throughout. Harari nailed it and set things up nicely for Homo Deus. Universal must-read material IMO.

Definitely gonna get into Homo Deus soon, but before that I'm jumping back on the Winslow wagon. "The Cartel" is up next.

Started WBBA the other day and boy is it morbid. I knew what I was signing up for, but bruh...

As for the challenge, I checked Goodreads and it seems DarkAvenger has left humanity behind - he's sitting at 66 lmao.

Same here.

Soon.jpg

A few more non-fiction suggestions;

- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
    - Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    - When the Body Says No by Gabor Mate
    Thank you for the book recommendation!

brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brooks1865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1: The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger #3)-Jonathan Mayberry 4/5
    2: Personal Finance for Dummies-Eric Tyson 3/5
    3: It-Stephen King 5/5
    4: Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX and the Quest for a Fantastic Future-Ashlee Vance 5/5
    5: Crush It!-Gary Vaynerchuck 4/5
    6: How to Win Friends and Influence People-Dale Carnegie 5/5
    7: The Power of Habit-Charles Duhigg 3/5
    8: Mind Hacking:How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days-John Hargrave 2/5
    9: Sell or Be Sold: Grant Cardone 5/5
    10: Think and Grow Rich- Napoleon Hill 5/5
    11: Way of the Wolf: Become Master Closer with Straight Line Selling-Jordan Belfort 4.5/5
    12: The Game of Numbers-Nick Murray 2/5
    13: The Million-Dollar Financial Advisor-David J Mullen Jr 3/5
    14: Orphan X-Gregg Hurwitz 5/5
    15: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry-Neil DeGrasse Tyson 3/5
    16: Animal Farm-George Orwell 4/5

Astrophysics was great, it was just so much information slammed into it that I don't think I could have comprehended it all. A Goodreads review I read said it best. "Imagine you are standing with your face up and your mouth wide open underneath a waterfall of Skittles. At first, a few Skittles get into your mouth and you can taste them. Awesome, you think. I love Skittles.
    Then, the Skittles become overwhelming, as more and more try to force themselves in, and millions and millions puddle around your feet, piling up past your knees."

I've been wanting to read the Dark Tower series for awhile now and I just couldn't take it anymore so I went and picked up the first two books in the series today since I've got a 12 hour roadtrip coming up and can do some serious reading. Read about 15-20% of the first book while getting my oil changed this morning and I'm really liking it so far.

As I was leaving the book store I saw a copy of "The Old Man and the Sea" and I've never read any Hemingway and it looked like an easy read so I grabbed it as well.

Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Avalanche3319 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by brooks1865 View Post
    I've been wanting to read the Dark Tower series for awhile now and I just couldn't take it anymore so I went and picked up the first two books in the series today since I've got a 12 hour roadtrip coming up and can do some serious reading. Read about 15-20% of the first book while getting my oil changed this morning and I'm really liking it so far.
    Nice! The first book was actually my least favorite of the series, so if you're really liking it then you're in for a treat with the books to come.

Just had a peek and saw that our thread last year reached 80 pages. We're already at 70 this year and it's only mid-July. GJDM to everyone!
    Movie Man
    Book Brah
    Game Guy
    Bike Boyo

Challenge complete!

Finished with a brainbomb. On the Tranquility of the Mind by Seneca is a short ~40 page read, really more of an essay, but a stupendous book if you enjoy stoicism. 5/5

Spoiler!

DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Spoiler!

24. Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche 5/5

This is the third book I've read of Nietzsche's. The first was a collection from various writings, and the second was The Anti-Christ. I still have Thus Spake Zarathustra on my bookshelf, and I'm a little tempted to read that next, but I also have some other good ones I'm interested in, too. So I guess I'll have to just see which one catches my eye most later.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by DrewDarden; 07-18-2018 at 03:41 PM.

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Love love love Nietzsche's works. Huge eye opener as an adult.

Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
    Love love love Nietzsche's works. Huge eye opener as an adult.
    This. Drew if Beyond Good and Evil was 5/5 you're going to want to read Zarathustra asap. 6/5 book srs.

Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baby281 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    #6 The dragon reborn Book 3 of the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan 10/10

Excellent book, I cannot stop reading this series. I am late to the game here. But I am also reading 1000 freaking page books smh.

jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Challenge complete!

Finished with a brainbomb. On the Tranquility of the Mind by Seneca is a short ~40 page read, really more of an essay, but a stupendous book if you enjoy stoicism. 5/5
    ]
    Congrats! Impressive, as usual from you.

You might enjoy these compendiums Tim Ferriss put together called Tao of Seneca. I downloaded them and they are really good selections from Seneca. Trying to get some more nonfiction this year.

https://tim.blog/2017/07/06/tao-of-seneca/

🥋 A Karate Kid age 60 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Challenge complete!

Spoiler!
    My hat's off to you as always!!!
    ⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Training Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 60-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Complete for 2018:

1. Artemis by Andy Weir 6/10
    2. 11/22/63 by Stephen King 8/10
    3. Swann's Way by Marcel Proust 7.5/10
    4. On Writing by Stephen King 8/10
    5. The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole 7/10
    6. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 8/10
    7. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 8/10
    8. All they Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 10/10
    9. Even Cowgirls get the Blues by Tom Robbins 7/10
    10. You are a Badass by Jen Sincero 6/10
    11. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy 10/10
    12. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut 7/10
    13. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 10/10
    14. Moby Dick by Herman Mellville 8/10
    15. Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrota 8/10
    16. Where'd You go Bernadette? By Maria Semple 7/10
    17. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez 7/10
    18. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller 8/10
    19. The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle 9/10
    20. A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle 10/10
    21. The Amazing Adentures of Kavalier and Klay 8/10

Well written and a page turner for sure.

Spoiler!

Currently reading McTeague by Frank Norris

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Chazb0 View Post
    Complete for 2018:

1. Artemis by Andy Weir 6/10
    2. 11/22/63 by Stephen King 8/10
    3. Swann's Way by Marcel Proust 7.5/10
    4. On Writing by Stephen King 8/10
    5. The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole 7/10
    6. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 8/10
    7. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 8/10
    8. All they Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 10/10
    9. Even Cowgirls get the Blues by Tom Robbins 7/10
    10. You are a Badass by Jen Sincero 6/10
    11. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy 10/10
    12. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut 7/10
    13. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 10/10
    14. Moby Dick by Herman Mellville 8/10
    15. Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrota 8/10
    16. Where'd You go Bernadette? By Maria Semple 7/10
    17. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez 7/10
    18. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller 8/10
    19. The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle 9/10
    20. A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle 10/10
    21. The Amazing Adentures of Kavalier and Klay 8/10

Well written and a page turner for sure.

Spoiler!

Currently reading McTeague by Frank Norris
    Never read The Road?

Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chazb0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Never read The Road?
    I guess I probably should. Sometimes I get an aversion to reading a book after a movie has been made of it that I watched. But hell, it is Cormac McCarthy! I will put it on my list eventually!

Originally Posted by Chazb0 View Post
    I guess I probably should. Sometimes I get an aversion to reading a book after a movie has been made of it that I watched. But hell, it is Cormac McCarthy! I will put it on my list eventually!
    I'd advise having a drink or two to numb your soul a little.

DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Spoiler!

25. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut 4.5/5

I remember reading this in American Literature class, and I always wanted to come back to it because it's just one of those books that I don't think reading it once will suffice. There's obviously a lot more going on there than initially meets the eye.

Spoiler!

I know a lot of people who read it once and didn't see why people rave about it. I've never been able to convince them to read it once more in the future. Though, thank you for confirming what I've always believed to be true.

Registered LGBTTQQIAAP doiliftbro's Avatar
    doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doiliftbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my list so far,
    1)the art of war sun tzu
    2)a farewell to arms Hemingway
    3)the old man and the sea Hemingway
    4)the gulag archipelago Solzhenitsyn
    5)1984 orwell
    6)grit Martin meadows (audible I got for $1 not really worth the dollar lol)
    7)war and peace Tolstoy
    8)eragon paolini
    9)eldest paolini
    10) Brisingr paolini
    11) inheritance paolini

looking for reccomendations for a good fantasy fiction, kind of like the inheritance cycle (last 4 on my list) I've never read ANY tolkien books, seen the movies, worth the read?
    i voluntarily joined the pepperoni nips crew

idontliftbro

we're all gonna make it Desultory1's Avatar
    Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desultory1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom (2/5)
    2. Grimnoir chronicles hard magic by Larry Correia (4/5)
    3. Who rules the world by Noam Chomsky (5/5)
    4. Nudge by Richard H. Thaler (4/5)
    5. Americas bitter pill by Steven Brill (4/5)
    6. Made to stick by Chip & Dan Heath (3/5)
    7. Confessions by St. Augustine (5/5)
    8. 12 Rules For Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B Peterson (5/5)
    9. Maps of meaning 2017 lecuture series by Jordan B Peterson (5/5)
    10. why we sleep by Matthew Walker (5/5)
    11. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini (4/5)
    12. Media Control, Second Edition: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda by Noam Chomsky (3/5)
    13. Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward S. Herman & Noam Chomsky (3/5)
    14. Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang (3/5)
    15. Mcdonaldization of society (6th edition) by George Ritzer (5/5)
    16. The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas L. Friedman (5/5)
    17. Columbine by Dave Cullen (3/5)
    18. The Vanishing American Adult: Our Coming-of-Age Crisis--and How to (5/5)Rebuild a Culture of Self-Reliance by Ben Sasse
    19. What is the bible by Rob Bell (2/5)
    20. The case for faith by Lee Strobel (5/5)
    21. The case for christ by Lee Strobel (4/5)
    22. I dont have enough faith to be an athiest by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek (4/5)
    23. Trumpocracy by David Frum (3/5)
    24. Mere christianity by C.S. Lewis (4/5)
    25. Tactics by Gregory Koukl (3/5)
    26. Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig (3/5)
    27. The Collapse of Parenting by Leonard Sax (4/5)
    28. The Case for Miracles by Lee Stroebel (4/5)
    29. Psychological significance of biblical stories lecture series by Jordan Peterson (5/5)
    30. Requiem for the American dream- Noam Chomsky (5/5)
    31. The war of art by Steven Pressfield (5/5)
    32. Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (4/5)
    33. Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle by C.G. Jung (5/5)
    34. Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II by Douglas A. Blackmon (5/5)

antifragile was crazy....the concept is basically that there isn't an accurate term for an antonym of fragile....strong isn't accurate essentially because something that is antifragile (for lack of an actual term) is something that gains strength continually......like the hydra......chop one head off two more grow.... the greek mythological creature the phoenix....when it dies another is born from the ashes of its predecessor etc.......so the entire book goes into examples in the real world such as our immune systems adaptability to illnesses......im typing this and realizing I cant even summarize the full scope of this book......maybe by saying the thing to take away most is that exposure is greater than knowledge. ull have to read it to get a better idea of that but word I loved this one.

synchronicity blew me away... so...he looks at some previous ESP experiments and then conducts his own experience using astrology as a mathematical indicator for the accuracy of predictions made with regard to astrology.........the reason for looking at both of these is to attempt to understand the phenomenon of coincidences or extremely rare events tied to the physical world and the human mind....the examples he gives of things people predict in dreams and then have occur in real life are flooring...acausal events is what he dubs them.....eventually he determines that these acausal events are outside of time and space and therefore are originated from whatever the galaxy was..........this is open to interpretation but he goes into a religious perspective which I thought was amazing even in his perception of eastern philosophy back to the western ideologies of Christianity in the mind and body becoming one during an acausal moment that could be said to take us outside of time and space and reality as we know it. its helpful if ur familiar with his work on archetypes but not required. the chapter describing the astrological experiment was almost impossible to understand but the following philosophical explanation makes it worth it.

last one was the slavery book.....loved this....basically explains how slavery didn't end after the civil war with Lincoln abolishing slavery and how as a replacement for slavery black people were just charged with bull**** charges like talking to whites or train hopping ....just simple ****....so that when they were taken to court they would have to pay fines but since they couldn't pay fines they would have their fines paid for by the steel mill, cotton farm, tobacco plantation, coal mine owners etc and put them into labor.....where they basically still treated them like slaves in disgusting inhuman ways. then it goes on to explain that with the 13th amendment as criminals they would lose their right to vote so eventually white people began passing more and more laws into action that further took advantage of the blacks with regards to their freedom, education and political capabilities as so called citizens......the most astonishing thing I took away I think was that we never even ended slavery until one, buying and trading slaves became economically negative when machines of the industrial age started taking the place of labor workers and two after ww2 and china tried to recruit the blacks by saying yo....black people America hates u come bang it out w us....this is when America finally said whoa we need to end slavery fr fr....and it was ****ing 1950 by this time.....a century after we were taught in school that Lincoln freed the slaves. smh. fire book.

Originally Posted by Desultory1 View Post
    1. The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom (2/5)
    Yo holy ****. LOL I've SEEN the awful movie based on this novel I'm just finding out about. Saw the movie when I was still in school and wondered WTF I just sat through at the time. I cannot believe it was based off of a novel. I gotta read it despite its terrible reviews. LOL

Yo holy ****. LOL I've SEEN the awful movie based on this novel I'm just finding out about. Saw the movie when I was still in school and wondered WTF I just sat through at the time. I cannot believe it was based off of a novel. I gotta read it despite its terrible reviews. LOL
    It's a Mitch albom book, so

1)You are NOT the target audience, but also
    2) His books are like 40 pages

You can easily rip thru it in a sitting

It's a Mitch albom book, so

1)You are NOT the target audience, but also
    2) His books are like 40 pages

You can easily rip thru it in a sitting
    It's about 200 according to Google. Yeah, I don't know who he is but he writes spec fiction related to Christianity? I'll give the book a try, honestly. I'm willing to read or try reading anything once. Never know when you'll like it. I was more surprised that film was even known because it was such a low budget production.