coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Need tips on how to gain speed.

Hello, my name is Cole, and I am a freshman in highschool. This football season I am planning to go out for running back. The problem is that I am not very fast. Here I am asking for some tips and maybe workouts to help me improve my speed. I am currently 5'11'' and 168 lbs. Thanks in advance!

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out Joe Defranco's site, he has a good record with training young players for football success.

Professional Toner WorldClassDBag's Avatar
    WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    run faster
    S/B/D/OHP: 405/265/495/180

suf·fer Beau·ti·(ful)·ly

SA Spurs

coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry for the late reply... thanks for the info. I will look into it

sdsith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man,
    A common way we worked on our speed in wrestling was sprints/general takedown work with weighted vests on. I think the sprints would help you more for football. I also personally like the tried and true art of just practicing. Run some plays with some of the guys and really pay attention to yourself. While you're running the plays don't just focus on getting the ball down the field but also pay attention to how you're running. Try to push yourself harder every time. It sounds clichéd but it worked for me. Good luck, man!
    Sean Dreibelbis
    Wrestler
    Judoka
    Just another guy trying to bulk up

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sprinting in a weighted vest is going to get your hurt. Much smarter ways to train.

RacingReporter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @ above: I'm thinking the topicstarter is confused by now, should he do this or not? These two statements are very contradicting, got any sources to back up your claim f.e. @DCSpartan?

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. Being a football and track coach, I would be shocked if the staff didn't have an off-season weight training program laid out. So, your first move is to start following that routine and train with the team. There's a direct correlation between lower body strength and linear speed. It's physics; you get stronger, you apply more force on the ground, the ground responds with an equal amount of force and you move faster. So, start doing power cleans, squats, and deadlifts. Running sprints will only get you so far; you NEED to build lower body strength if you want to maximize your genetic potential in this regard.

2. Most good S&C programs will have a linear and lateral speed component to it. If not, find a good routine and start hitting it. Nail down your running form, do sprints, and agility drills. I cannot emphasize learning proper sprint form enough; resisted sprints (weighted vests, sleds, parachutes) will just reinforce bad habits if you're not sprinting with proper form. You're not just going to move north-south playing football; you need to be able to change directions quickly. So, some linear and lateral speed drills, coupled with weight training will improve your speed.

3. Go out for track. Playing other sports is one of the most effective ways to improve your athletic performance, all around. Our football players do a wide variety of events; sprints, throws and jumps. One of our best RBs over the years ran the 100, 200 and is going to college on a javelin scholarship. So, I would suggest that you run the short sprints but choose some other field events as well. Long jump, high jump, triple jump, shot, discus, and javelin will give you the ability to compete in another sport while improving your overall athletic performance.

4. In the summer, take advantage of full contact camps as much as you can. There's a lot more to playing running back than just taking a hand-off and charging towards a gap in the line. Learn the position and everything that goes along with it. Our initial starting tail-back this year could do ONE thing well: take the ball and attack the line of scrimmage. He couldn't block or catch passes to save his life. By week two, we had moved a guard to the tail-back position because he not only ran the ball like a friggin' animal, but he also did the other things we asked of him well.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

Thanks for the amazingly detailed reply... I kind of forgot about this thread for a little bit, that's why this reply is so late... Anyways, I lift weights as much as I can, so I am good in that department. My school does have a winter workout program, but I am looking to push myself beyond that. I plan on doing agility and speed drills during the spring when it gets warm enough. I am doing some research on what drills are the best. I will take everything you said into consideration. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the tips. Will do some research on weighted vests. I don't pick my knees up enough while I'm sprinting, which I must work on. I am very grateful for the reply!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    besides lifting, go out for track - they'll teach you how to run with good form - can't sprint without it. If you're looking for some other resources take a look at the speed template to WS4SBv3 (Joe Defranco), also look up USATF and try to find a track club in your area; one on one sprint coaching can do wonders for your form and eventually speed. In the meantime - lift heavy.

Registered User robertaboone100's Avatar
    robertaboone100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Some Key point those can help you to gain speed...
    1. First learn how to fuel yourself before, during and after workouts. Proper nutrition can help you to grow stronger and improve your performance.
    2. Make every workout for a purpose. Before you start a workout program, set a meaningful goal that will help you find motivating and challenging.
    3. Vary your training distances, terrain and paces to become a faster, stronger runner.
    4. An important way to improve running speed is, train your hamstrings by performing eccentric and isometric exercises.
    5. For training more need to rest more.
    Robert Aboone

HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HalfRightFACE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do sprints twice a week while improving your squat and RDL, also when lifting perform the concentric phase as fast as possible.