ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Do you remember..."We are the World"?

I had a flashback and went youtube hunting.

Just watch this video, they don't make stuff like this anymore even though they tried.

Look at that...we got Michael Jackson singing with Bob Dylan, Kenny Rogers, Kenny Loggins, Tina freakin' Turner, Cyndi Lauper, Lionel Ritchie and I could go on.
    Getting together in one studio to make a video for free to give money to people starving in Africa.

Some things in the past are better left in the past, but not this.

If you remember, this was not only a song or a video...it was a movement.
    There were comic books devoted to this cause, songs, Sally Struthers commercials, and some very disturbing infomercials.

and it started with the Brits in 1984;

I never thought I'd write this...listen to Boy George @ 0:37

My generation...your generation heard a call for help from across the ocean and we did one of the greatest things we will ever do and we answered it.

We were great once upon a time.
    We tore down the Berlin wall, we fought for the rights and freedoms of all races and religions and sexual orientations, we reached out to people in need outside of our borders without hesitation and we were the ones or who started to right the mistakes of our ancestors pasts.

and this generation has...Pewdiepie.

This thread is a friendly reminder of how great we used to be. A reminder of the amazing things we can accomplish once we swallow our pride and work with others to help others.

Fast forward 2014

Doesn't quite do the same for me. Nice try though.

Comment as you deem fit.

In my time, my generation didn't hesitate to say these words;

Merry Christmas.
    We are great and we can help make each other great again.
    May whatever God you believe in continue to bless you and yours'.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good post, Merry Christmas back at ya!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like this one too, from 2010, Young Artists for Haiti

Here's the list of artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Artists_for_Haiti
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Charity existed before We Are The World and continues to exist. For the Ethiopian crisis specifically, which was what Do They Know It's Christmas and We Are The World focused on, charities where shouting it from the roof tops for more than a year before the major media took over. The commercials and infomercials you mentioned were on TV way before those song recording. My wife was part of an organization that was trying to get someone to pay attention, but the news networks and US Govt took no notice.

Then one slow news day, the networks picked it up and it was suddenly a big deal. So big that after an awards show a bunch of celebrities stayed up all night, ordered caviar, and argued about who got to stand where while they recorded We Are The World. It was huge. It raised money equal to more than half of what Michael Jackson's Thriller album made for him that year.

I was never more proud of my president than when during some schmaltzy public event Ronald Reagan didn't know the words to We Are The World and had to look at a cheat sheet.

Young people are just as involved in charity now than ever, if not more. I work for a charitable organization and I do research and implementation of water systems in developing countries. We have over 200 student and 40 professional volunteers working on projects in 17 countries. My research partner, btw, is Ethiopian and was a little kid in Ethiopia back in the 80s.

We Are The World was a good thing, don't get me wrong. It raised awareness and money. But the problems persist and We Are The World did not make a significant dent in the problem. Don't know that I am either, but like We Are The World, I'm helping a few starfish.

Do They Know It's Christmas was first (and much better), but We Are The World kinda established the thing where celeb musicians come together and record something to save the world.

John Denver was working hard for years for developing communities, but at the time of the recording he wasn't quite hot enough to get an invite.

Has anyone ever figured out what "as God has shown us, by turning stones to bread" refers to? There's a story in the Bible of Satan tempting Jesus to turn stones and Jesus refusing, but is there some religious tradition where God does turn stones to bread?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hello, Brian.

Yes, I remember. That was back in 1985; I was just getting started as a recording engineer in a small multitrack recording studio at the time, and was very interested in the nuts-and-bolts details of that session. The basic tracks were recorded in Kenny Rogers' studio in Los Angeles; the subsequent group session took place a week later at A & M Studios in Hollywood. How they managed to keep this session, with all the stars who would participate together, a secret is a mystery, but they managed to pull it off. If the public would have gotten wind of what was going to take place, and who would be in attendance, the scene outside the studio would have been total chaos.

Interestingly, "We are the world" is the only single to ever reach platinum status (sales of 1 million+ units), and IIRC, it made it to quadruple platinum. I also recall reading in one of the trade magazines at the time that while there were a few ego clashes during the tracking of the group singing, everyone cooperated to get the work accomplished. I can't really see something like that happening in this day and age.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Interestingly, "We are the world" is the only single to ever reach platinum status (sales of 1 million+ units), and IIRC, it made it to quadruple platinum. I also recall reading in one of the trade magazines at the time that while there were a few ego clashes during the tracking of the group singing, everyone cooperated to get the work accomplished. I can't really see something like that happening in this day and age.
    There is a 10 minute video on YouTube which is simply Bob Dylan rehearsing his line with the help of Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, and Quincy Jones. It's fascinating. Here's the legendary Bob Dylan, a little past his prime, totally out of his element, and very humble, just trying to get through it. Dylan's never really been able to sing but he's one of the finest vocalists ever. Go figure.
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Good post, Merry Christmas back at ya!
    Thank-you.

Originally Posted by LisaSkinnoble View Post
    I like this one too, from 2010, Young Artists for Haiti

Here's the list of artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Artists_for_Haiti
    I was aware of the song but unaware about everything else about it. Thanks for the clue in.
    I see lotsa Canadians , eh.
    and hello Lisa!

Originally Posted by Gabbar99 View Post
    Charity existed before We Are The World and continues to exist. For the Ethiopian crisis specifically, which was what Do They Know It's Christmas and We Are The World focused on, charities where shouting it from the roof tops for more than a year before the major media took over. The commercials and infomercials you mentioned were on TV way before those song recording. My wife was part of an organization that was trying to get someone to pay attention, but the news networks and US Govt took no notice.

Then one slow news day, the networks picked it up and it was suddenly a big deal. So big that after an awards show a bunch of celebrities stayed up all night, ordered caviar, and argued about who got to stand where while they recorded We Are The World. It was huge. It raised money equal to more than half of what Michael Jackson's Thriller album made for him that year.

I was never more proud of my president than when during some schmaltzy public event Ronald Reagan didn't know the words to We Are The World and had to look at a cheat sheet.

Young people are just as involved in charity now than ever, if not more. I work for a charitable organization and I do research and implementation of water systems in developing countries. We have over 200 student and 40 professional volunteers working on projects in 17 countries. My research partner, btw, is Ethiopian and was a little kid in Ethiopia back in the 80s.

We Are The World was a good thing, don't get me wrong. It raised awareness and money. But the problems persist and We Are The World did not make a significant dent in the problem. Don't know that I am either, but like We Are The World, I'm helping a few starfish.

Do They Know It's Christmas was first (and much better), but We Are The World kinda established the thing where celeb musicians come together and record something to save the world.

John Denver was working hard for years for developing communities, but at the time of the recording he wasn't quite hot enough to get an invite.

Has anyone ever figured out what "as God has shown us, by turning stones to bread" refers to? There's a story in the Bible of Satan tempting Jesus to turn stones and Jesus refusing, but is there some religious tradition where God does turn stones to bread?
    Fair enough.
    I have no bones with what you have written and am indeed delighted to read about your work and volunteering experiences.
    However...I care not for what any president or government has done for the true power lies within the people when they act as a collective towards a united purpose.

The true power in society lies within its people. When people are united towards a common goal amazing things happen as we make them happen rather than watch them happen.
    That is the point to this thread...we are great and have done great things and there is no reason to take the mental stance that we can not do great things again...even though we're older.

I am not concerned over our differences but focus on the things we share and work together to improve it.
    Today, I gave an example where humanity did well.
    Its simply something to strive for...greatness.

I have no answer for your religious query.

Thank-you for your work behind the scenes looking after those less fortunate than others.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Hello, Brian.

Yes, I remember. That was back in 1985; I was just getting started as a recording engineer in a small multitrack recording studio at the time, and was very interested in the nuts-and-bolts details of that session. The basic tracks were recorded in Kenny Rogers' studio in Los Angeles; the subsequent group session took place a week later at A & M Studios in Hollywood. How they managed to keep this session, with all the stars who would participate together, a secret is a mystery, but they managed to pull it off. If the public would have gotten wind of what was going to take place, and who would be in attendance, the scene outside the studio would have been total chaos.

Hello Will.

Between cell phones and rapid communications available now I don't think this could be pulled off now in secret like they did then. Thanks for the input on where/when they recorded it. I never did like country music but Kenny Rogers is still the sh*t!

In the spirit of hope for the current generations (thanks to the post above yours' and Lisa's), I'm not going to state that I don't see it happening.
    If it does happen, its going to be special just like our generation's was, and its going to be different.
    but just as good and maybe even better.

I see the youngins too...self centered egocentric self entitled as they seem there are still good ones left who are not.
    I'm holding out hope for these ones to make something happen that's great.

Merry Christmas Will.
    If bb.com were M.A.S.H...you'd be Colonel Potter. Much respect.

Originally Posted by 7Seconds View Post
    There is a 10 minute video on YouTube which is simply Bob Dylan rehearsing his line with the help of Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, and Quincy Jones. It's fascinating. Here's the legendary Bob Dylan, a little past his prime, totally out of his element, and very humble, just trying to get through it. Dylan's never really been able to sing but he's one of the finest vocalists ever. Go figure.
    Here?;

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    Here?;

Yes. That is the one.

And I am proud to say I own this one on vinyl.

Hear 'n Aid

Hear 'n Aid was a joint effort from the heavy metal scene of the 80s to raise money for famine relief in Africa.

When attending a 48 hours charity "Radiothon" at the radio station KLOS, Jimmy Bain (of Rainbow and Dio) and Vivian Campbell (at that time still in Dio, later to play in Whitesnake and Def Leppard) noticed that the representation of heavy metal stars was scarce. In the light of the success of Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and USA for Africa's "We Are The World" they forwarded the idea to Ronnie James Dio, also attending the Radiothon, and they decided to make a similar project exclusively built on artists from the heavy metal scene. Together the three cowrote the song Stars.

On May 20 & 21, 1985, 40 artists gathered at the A&M Records Studio in Hollywood, California to record the Stars album. The project included members of such bands as Dio, Quiet Riot, Iron Maiden, Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister, Queensrÿche, Blue Öyster Cult, Dokken, Night Ranger, Judas Priest, W.A.S.P., Journey, Y&T, Vanilla Fudge, and the parody band Spinal Tap.

Vocals
    * Eric Bloom (Blue Öyster Cult)
    * Ronnie James Dio (Dio)
    * Don Dokken (Dokken)
    * Kevin DuBrow (Quiet Riot)
    * Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
    * Dave Meniketti (Y&T)
    * Paul Shortino (Rough Cutt)
    * Geoff Tate (Queensrÿche)

Backing Vocals
    * Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy Osbourne)
    * Dave Alford (Rough Cutt)
    * Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge/King Kobra)
    * Vinny Appice (Dio)
    * Jimmy Bain (Dio)
    * Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot)
    * Mick Brown (Dokken)
    * Vivian Campbell (Dio)
    * Carlos Cavazo (Quiet Riot)
    * Amir Derakh (Rough Cutt)
    * Buck Dharma (Blue Öyster Cult)
    * Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
    * Craig Goldy (Giuffria)
    * Chris Hager (Rough Cutt)
    * Chris Holmes (W.A.S.P.)
    * Blackie Lawless (W.A.S.P.)
    * George Lynch (Dokken)
    * Yngwie Malmsteen
    * Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe)
    * Michael McKean (David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap)
    * Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
    * Vince Neil (Mötley Crüe)
    * Ted Nugent
    * Eddie Ojeda (Twisted Sister)
    * Jeff Pilson (Dokken)
    * Rudy Sarzo (Quiet Riot)
    * Claude Schnell (Dio)
    * Neal Schon (Journey)
    * Harry Shearer (Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap)
    * Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge)
    * Matt Thorr (Rough Cutt)
    * Adrian Vandenberg (Whitesnake)

Lead Guitar Solos
    * Vivian Campbell (Dio)
    * Carlos Cavazo (Quiet Riot)
    * Buck Dharma (Blue Öyster Cult)
    * Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
    * Craig Goldy (Giuffria)
    * George Lynch (Dokken)
    * Yngwie Malmsteen
    * Eddie Ojeda (Twisted Sister)
    * Neal Schon (Journey)

Rhythm Guitar Melody Lines
    * Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
    * Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)

Bass
    * Jimmy Bain (Dio)

Drums
    * Vinny Appice (Dio)
    * Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot)

Keyboards
    *Claude Schnell (Dio)

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 7Seconds View Post
    And I am proud to say I own this one on vinyl.
    This was easily the most awesome thing I've heard all day. Gotcha on spread
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Wish I had more reps to give. Much respect.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.â€
    -Voltaire

shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000) shimmychongo is just really nice. (+1000)
    So-Tex has "we are the world" as a ring tone, so if anyone's wondering why he's all blubbery and emotional when he answers his phone ?

now you know why ..

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm reminded of the "Miracle of 5,000" where Jesus turned 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread into enough food for 5,000, but I don't know of any instance of turning stone to bread. I would bet that the songwriter just got the Bible and Star Trek mixed up a little.

Oldtimelifter?
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Registered User HayZues Christi's Avatar
    HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HayZues Christi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

9/11 one
    Ol' 71st street. The devil that birthed me.

606 G0D.